QHP usage and wish list

Hester

Dec 7, 2008, 12:54:04 PM12/7/08
to ModelingWorkShop
We in the Department of Physiology at the University of Mississippi
Medical Center hope you have found QHP useful. We are seeking
additional funding to continue to improve the physiology described in
QHP, along with providing documentation of the underlying
physiological equations, and validation results.

We have two requests of those using QHP?

1) can you provide us with some information as to your use of QHP? For
a grant submission the funding agency would to know the value of the
software.

2) could you provide a wish list of what would make QHP more useful to
you? We are developing an XML editor, to be hopefully provided soon,
that will make it easier for users to add/change content. As soon as
we have completed a beta version we will post this on the site.

Thank you for your interest in QHP. We welcome all comments.

Robert Hester, Tom Coleman and Richard Summers.

Jiří Kofránek

Dec 7, 2008, 3:26:33 PM12/7/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
In enclosed pictures is Tom Coleman near the tomb of Rabbi Yehuda Loew in the old Jewish cementary in Prague. According to an old legend sage Rabbi Yehuda Loew (1520-1609) created the artificial human-like creature Golem from the clay to protect Prague's Jewish community against pogroms in the 16th century. Tom Coleman created the digital Golem – QHP to facilitate understanding of physiology regulations.
Jiri Kofranek

2008/12/7 Hester <diesel...@gmail.com>
Tom Coleman near the tomb of Golem creator.JPG

Tom Coleman

Dec 8, 2008, 8:12:01 PM12/8/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Jiri,

Peggy and I had an absolutely wonderful time in Prague thanks to your interest and efforts and hospitality. On up the Elbe to Berlin was cold and rainy but we enjoyed every second of it. Please stay connected to the QHP project.

Best, T.C. (and Peggy)

Jiří Kofránek

Dec 8, 2008, 10:09:55 PM12/8/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com

Dear Tom,

I am still connected to the QHP. E.g. in this morning I will use QHP in the classwork with my students - it is best tool for explaining of pathophysiology of intensive care medicine.

We are working to conversion of QHP to Modelica. I expect that we be in intensive contact to describing of the sense of all equations using in QHP.

Czech Republic will be in presidency of EU from January to June 09. It is possible (in touch in this presidency) to organize in spring 09 in Prague Physiome workshop: "e-Golem: simulation models on biomedical education". Could you help me with this? Warm Prague spring is more suitable than cold autumn and I will be glad to see you and Peggy in Prague again. Here is some pictures from your last visit in Prague:

http://picasaweb.google.cz/kofranek/ProfColemanInPraguePhotos#

Best

Jiri

Jiří Kofránek

Dec 9, 2008, 6:41:47 PM12/9/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Tom,
I cannot find the effect of insulin to trasport of potassium across cell membrane (ECF->ICF) ?
I want to demonstrate effect of infusion of glucose+insulin+potassium (e.g. Ringer-lactate) for therapy of potassium depletion.

Jiri

Tom Coleman

Dec 9, 2008, 6:42:33 PM12/9/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Jiri,

A simulation in education meeting in Prague in 2009 seems like a wonderful idea.

Unfortunately, I am already fully committed for 2009 and won't be able to participate. Maybe someone else from our modeling group, like Robert Hester or Richard Summers, can participate. Thanks for the thought.

Best wishes, Tom Coleman

Tom Coleman

Dec 9, 2008, 9:14:23 PM12/9/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Jiri,

The flux of potassium from ECFV to cell is currently a function of ECFV K+ mass and [aldo]. Insulin has been left out.

If you have a killer reference on insulin effects, please send and we will add this to our priority list.

Best, T.C.

rsum...@pol.net

Dec 9, 2008, 10:03:41 PM12/9/08
to bios...@gmail.com, modeling...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to participate

Jiří Kofránek

Dec 11, 2008, 12:14:56 PM12/11/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
I wlii be very glad, that you can help us

Jiri

Jiří Kofránek

Dec 11, 2008, 12:15:36 PM12/11/08
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

insulin effect to influx of potassium into cells is well known from clinical practise of intensive care units.

rsum...@pol.net

Jiří Kofránek

Jan 2, 2009, 3:24:46 PM1/2/09
to modeling...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tom

Best wishes in the New Year 2009,
I hope we can implement QHP in Modelica during this year.