Open Source??

Jeff Kelsey

Feb 16, 2009, 5:27:58 PM2/16/09
to ModelingWorkShop
I am a software engineer.

It says in the Abstract http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/22/1_MeetingAbstracts/756.8

that QHP is "Open Source"

If so, where can I download the source code? In what programming
language is it compiled?

Jeff Kelsey

Feb 17, 2009, 1:47:12 PM2/17/09
to ModelingWorkShop
Sorry,

I was able to get to the source through the link on the main website
to QHP editors group. Please ignor the previous inquiry.

-Jeff

On Feb 16, 5:27 pm, Jeff Kelsey <jeffkel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a software engineer.
>
> It says in the  Abstract  http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/22/1_MeetingAbstra...

Michael Tiller

Feb 18, 2009, 9:34:11 AM2/18/09
to ModelingWorkShop
On Feb 16, 5:27 pm, Jeff Kelsey <jeffkel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a software engineer.
>
> It says in the  Abstract  http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/22/1_MeetingAbstra...
>
> that QHP is "Open Source"
>
> If so, where can I download the source code?  In what programming
> language is it compiled?

One suggestion for the QHP developers would be to improve the
visibility of their tools. I was interested in the concept of QHP
long before I knew it existed. In fact, despite searching quite a bit
for such models I wasn't able to find them until I came upon the
information completely by chance. For example, a search on QHP in
Google doesn't turn up a single hit in the first page. Neither does
"QHP source code". It is not like those 10 hits (e.g. a Michigan
state report on timely Medicare claim payment) are blockbuster
attractions, it should be pretty easy to rise above them.

I would suggest the following steps to help grow your community and
increase visibility of your tools.

1. Register a dedicated domain name for the project. For example,
qhpmodels.org is not registered.
2. Set up an SVN repository with anonymous read access. This will
make it easy for people to get read access to the source code. An
advantage of exposing the version control system directly is it makes
it easy for people provide patches if they make any improvements or
identify any bugs. This does not mean they can change the source code
but at least they can send you a patch that says "I found a bug, here
is a patch against revision 13023 of the repository that fixes it" and
you can review it to see if the fix is correct. Then if you trust
someone to collaborate you can give them write access.
3. Set up a trac site (http://trac.edgewall.org) for the project.
This provides a place for people to register feature requests, bug
reports, etc. It also provides an easy way for you to disseminate
information to users in the form of a roadmap for the project as well
as Wiki pages to document different aspects of the system.

These three things are simple and they provide a huge amount of
transparency (without necessarily sacrificing control) which is very
important for open source projects to gain traction. The more people
see your project, the more they will link to it and the more "Google
juice" you'll get. Furthermore, all this is free software so if you
already have a machine you can host it on then it is completely free.
If you want to avoid the hassle of setting up and maintain the system
there are some free and very cheap options as well.

These are, of course, suggestions and what you choose to do is
entirely up to you. If you decide to pursue these, let me know and
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I've been
done this road many times myself.

--
Mike