help with Pivot Tables

matthew.yocum

Jun 16, 2020, 8:03:41 PM6/16/20
to MoDAL 2020
Hi, I'm having trouble using Sheets to create a Pivot table for the BMR data. My intention is to have kids choose a couple of variables such as "order" and "BMR" to create a two way table and then generate some conditional probability prompts and determine independence or association of the chosen variables.

My problem is that when I choose any of the categories with a large variety of numerical values as my "row" or "column", for example choosing BMR as the column, I receive an error that says Sheets is trying to create too many columns. It suggests adjusting the column breakouts but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Matt Yocum

Jerod Morehouse

Jun 17, 2020, 11:29:24 AM6/17/20
to MoDAL 2020
Matt, I know we emailed about his last night, but I am going to post our solution to this issue here for others to use.

Pivot tables can be used to make two-way tables, but two-way tables require both variables to be categorical. Since BMRpM is a quantitative variable, it wouldn't work for two-way tables. However, you can convert a quantitative variable into a categorical variable by binning the data into intervals. For example, BMRpM can be binned into the intervals 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 4+. This would allow you to make a two-way table using BMRpM as one of the variables. In google sheets, you can use the ifs function to create the bins.