Remote worker duplicate it self

Alessandro Ren

Nov 17, 2016, 12:58:54 PM11/17/16
to mod_g...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I am having a odd behavior with a remote mod_gearman installation.

I am running a main nagios server with a hostgroup checking from a
remote probe. The remote probe is set to run 25 workers. After a minute
or so of running the worker on the remote probe, gearman_top shows that
a I have 2 workers going up to 5 remote workers and upping the number of
available workers for my hostgroup to 5 x 25, which, is not true.

On the probe, I never have more then 25 processes running by
mod_geaman, but gearman_top on the master show that I am running a 100
jobs, which should be impossible, since I only have 25 workers for this
particular hostgroup.

I also noticed that on the master, I have up to 400 connections
established from the remote IP on the gearman port.

I am running mod_gearman 1.4.12 on CentOS 6 and gearman 0.33. I
also tried the latest mod_gearmad_worker 3.0 and the same problem happened.

Any ideas what could be happening in my setup? Why so much
connections are being established ?

Tks

Alessandro Ren.

Alessandro Ren

Dec 2, 2016, 7:47:58 AM12/2/16
to mod_gearman

   it seems the firewall on the connection end was causing mod_gearman_worker to open new connections and act like a denial of service on the gearmand server. I think the firewall was throttling the connections / bandwidth, making mod_gearmand_worker reconnect add on more worker each time.

   []s.