Tomcat valve 1.1.01

Michael van Leest

Jun 18, 2015, 5:54:08 AM6/18/15
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm having some issue getting the Valve installed for some weird reason.
My setup is ubuntu 14 64 bit, Tomcat 7 with lucee (through jar installation) and the java that is included via apt-get install tomcat7 (I believe Java 7).

I've added the mod_cfml-valve_v1.1.01.jar to tomcat and it starts without any issues.
As soon as I add the Valve code to the server.xml, tomcat will not start.

<Valve className="mod_cfml.core"
                loggingEnabled="false"
                scanClassPaths="false"
                maxContexts="200"
                timeBetweenContexts="2000"
                />

Is the jar maybe compiled with java8 or something?

To be clear, I've stopped tomcat before editing the file or adding the jar and rebooted the complete server just to be sure.

If I look at the tomcat log files, there is no information whatsoever why it is failing to start (no new log entries at all!).

Any idea where to look for?

--
Michael van Leest

Paul Klinkenberg

Jun 18, 2015, 7:26:08 AM6/18/15
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Possibly the jar was added in the wrong directory?
It should be in the {tomcat-root}/lib/  directory.
Please also make sure file permissions on the jar are okay, and there is only one mod_cfml*.jar in the lib directory.

Hope it helps, kind regards,

Paul Klinkenberg

Jordan Michaels

Jun 18, 2015, 2:17:40 PM6/18/15
to mod cfml
In addition to Paul's comments and just for clarity's sake, what files specifically are you looking at in the tomcat logs? It is extremely unusual for there to be no logs whatsoever.

Since you indicated you're running on your system's default install of Java, and no logs are being generated at all, it's possible the JRE might have something to do with it. What does "java -version" display?

Kind regards,
Jordan Michaels

Michael van Leest

Jun 19, 2015, 3:21:04 AM6/19/15
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll check this out later today and let you know.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Pierre Larde

Apr 27, 2016, 3:24:36 PM4/27/16
to mod_cfml
I have exactly the same problem :
I add the mod_cfml-valve.jar in the Tomcat lib,
Stop en start Tomcat : OK
And when adding the <valve lines in the server.xml
Tomcat doest not start (start and stop immediatly)

I am on Windows server 2008 (same in Windows 7),
Tomcat 8 , and Lucee

Lucee is running correctly, my step now is how to set up sites like :  mysite.com
in IIS7 and make it working from the internet.

I ask Mickael if he found a solution to that situation ?

Thanks for any Help.
Pierre.

Jordan Michaels

Apr 27, 2016, 3:57:33 PM4/27/16
to mod cfml
Hi Pierre,

Are you getting any logs in your tomcat/logs/catalina* log files?

--
Kind regards,
Jordan Michaels

Paul Klinkenberg

Apr 27, 2016, 4:22:44 PM4/27/16
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pierre,

You could try to start Tomcat from the command line. It might show the actual error in the command window, and at least output the debug info to log file.
To do that, do the following:
  1. open a command prompt (cmd.exe)
  2. go to {tomcat}/bin:  (in my case, it's at C:\lucee\tomcat\bin\)
  3. type "startup.bat", hit enter
  4. If a complaint pops up "Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined. At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this program"
    1. enter "set JAVA_HOME=C:\lucee\jdk", or whereveer your jdk is located
    2. type startup.bat again, hit enter
  5. After some gibberish "Using CATALINA_BASE: ....", a Java window should pop up with lots of startup info. If the window disappears again, there was an error. But anyway, the log should have been written to {tomcat}\logs (C:\lucee\tomcat\logs in my case)

Read through the log info, try to find any error messages. Or send the log to here (only from the last try, not the whole 10 MB).

Kind regards, Paul Klinkenberg