Gzip Supporting

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 4:04:32 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
hi,
I downloaded the latest code from
http://lighttpd-improved.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
and use mod_cache as an accelerator, just like squid. Everything else is
fine, except the gzip compressing. I don't know if mod_cache is using
mod_compress, or mod_mem_compress? And is the mod_mem_compress included
in the source above?
--
Regards,
YX

shellcode

Nov 19, 2009, 4:26:55 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
For content cached in memory by "use-memory", the only way to gzip them is "memory-compress" option.
For content cached in local disk, mod_compress/mod_mem_compress can be used to gzip them.

mod_mem_compress module is included in the lighttpd 1.4.23 tarball.

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 6:07:41 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Seems it's because of both mod_mem_cache and IIS7 gzip being turned on. I turned off both, and now it's working.
But why does mod_mem_cache break gzip function? Smells like a bug.
And just be curious, why can't it be cached and compressed when IIS7 gzip is turned on? Any solutions to this? Because we might need the back-end server to provide service to the public, too.

Regards,
YX

On 2009年11月19日 18:01, shellcode wrote:
turn off gzip compress on IIS server

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:00 PM, yaoxing zhang <yaoxin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes it's included, and if I directly request the back-end server, IIS7 does send back the compressed response with Content-Encoding: gzip.
Regards,
YX

On 2009年11月19日 17:57, shellcode wrote:

In order to gzip cached content, 'Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate' must include in request header

shellcode

Nov 19, 2009, 6:22:04 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
it's not bug. lighttpd calls modules by the order of server.modules.
for example: server.modules = (A,B,C), request is process in module A first, If A don't want to handle it, then pass request to B. B passed to module C when B don't want to handle it.

so if mod_mem_cache handles request, then modcache will not handle it if modcache is behind mod_mem_cache

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 10:22:15 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Does it mean I should load mod_mem_cache after mod_cache, mod_proxy and
mod_compress?
And how about the IIS gzip issue? Does it mean mod_cache can't handle
gzip response from IIS? Or is there any work round? Because my purpose
of using mod_cache is to reduce the stress of main server, thus I still
need the main server to serve people. If I turn off gzip, it would cause
like 3 times' larger traffic.

Regards,
YX

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 10:54:09 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
I find something more interesting. I finally figure out that the page
being not compressed has nothing to do with IIS sends compressed
response or not. The factor is only whether mod_cache HITs or not. In
other words, if mod_cache HITs, the response will be compressed. If not,
mod_cache will get response from IIS and return return to me a fresh
version. This version is always not compressed. This also happens when
the page is not included in the refresh patterns. For example, my
refresh pattern is:
cache.refresh-pattern = (
"\.(?i)aspx" => "30 use-memory memory-compress",
"\.(?i)(html|css|js)" => "30"
)
So the first time when I access the page, all the .aspx/html/css/js type
page will be returned un-compressed. But the 2nd time, I'll get the header
Cache: HIT
and this time, the header also includes
However, the types which are not included in the refresh pattern, like
WebResources.axd, I'll always get the fresh version, and they are never
compressed.
And i can make sure this is not a mod_compress issue because it works
for all the other virtual hosts in the same server. Any ideas?
Regards,
YX

shellcode

Nov 19, 2009, 11:39:16 AM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
modcache default to not cache. for urls not handled by refresh.patterns, lighttpd works like proxy only, so you get fresh content every time.

proper module load sequence is "mod_compress(or mod_mem_compress) mod_mem_cache mod_cache mod_proxy", which make lighttpd try
to compress local files first, then try to cache local files in memory, then try to cache remote files in memory/disk or compress memory cached content.

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 9:59:32 PM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
Now the problem seems like mod_proxy doesn't work with mod_compress directly. But once the URL is cached by mod_cache, mod_compress works. Probably not a problem of mod_cache. I'll get more help from mod_proxy and mod_compress group. Thank you very much.

Regards,
YX

shellcode

Nov 19, 2009, 10:07:00 PM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
mod_compress only compresses local disk file, not remote file servered by mod_proxy.

yaoxing zhang

Nov 19, 2009, 10:16:54 PM11/19/09
to mod_...@googlegroups.com
any work around?