Couple of questions from a newbie

Mike

Jul 22, 2011, 4:55:04 PM7/22/11
to mod_auth_pubtkt users
Hi,

I have just come across this project and it sounds like just what I
need. I am running 5 CentOS 4/5 server with apache and as it is now
users have to login each time to access each server.

I am no apache guru, I have never built a module, so this may be a
steep learning curve for me. I have a couple of questions. Is there
a RPM or binary that is precompiled for RedHat / CentOS that would
make it easier for me to set this up?

Secondly, one of the things I would like to be able to do is limit the
number of concurrent users that login with the same id. So for
example, I might want to limit an id to allow only one user on-line at
any one time, while another id may allow for up to 5 or 10 concurrent
users. Does this module allow for that kind of specificity?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to trying to implement this.

Regards,

-Mike

Manuel Kasper

Jul 23, 2011, 5:42:29 AM7/23/11
to mod_auth_p...@googlegroups.com
On 22.07.2011, at 22:55, Mike wrote:

> I am no apache guru, I have never built a module, so this may be a
> steep learning curve for me. I have a couple of questions. Is there
> a RPM or binary that is precompiled for RedHat / CentOS that would
> make it easier for me to set this up?

There are RPMs floating around (just Google for it), but I'm not sure if they work on RedHat/CentOS. The distribution also contains an RPM spec file which should make it easy to build an RPM. I'm not much of a Linux person though, so I don't know the details :)

> Secondly, one of the things I would like to be able to do is limit the
> number of concurrent users that login with the same id. So for
> example, I might want to limit an id to allow only one user on-line at
> any one time, while another id may allow for up to 5 or 10 concurrent
> users. Does this module allow for that kind of specificity?

No, because there is no notion of a session - each request is handled/authenticated on its own, and mod_auth_pubtkt cannot possibly know when a session has ended (e.g. because the user has closed their browser and thus lost the cookie).

- Manuel

Matthew Haynes

Jul 23, 2011, 8:46:02 AM7/23/11
to mod_auth_p...@googlegroups.com
> I am no apache guru, I have never built a module, so this may be a
> steep learning curve for me.

If it makes a difference I have compiled on various systems "configure;make;make install" and have never had a problem. Probably worth a try.

After that it's just like following the steps for a normal apache module install, as outlined in the docs, very very easy.

Cheers,

Matt

Mike Dross

Jul 24, 2011, 12:59:59 PM7/24/11
to mod_auth_p...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for all your help. I will experiment this week and see if I can figure out how to implement this my existing apache .htaccess files and users.

-Mike