Clarification of grace period in docs

matth

Sep 14, 2010, 8:26:19 AM9/14/10
to mod_auth_pubtkt users
Hi there,

Just got caught out by this, the graceperiod value should be a Unix
timestamp right?

From the docs I read it as it should be a number of seconds before the
expiry time of the cookie, but looking at the C source code it should
actually be a Unix timestamp after which the user gets redirected to
the refresh url.

Could just be me being an idiot, but a bit more clarification in the
docs might help somebody else in future.

Cheers,

Matt

Manuel Kasper

Sep 14, 2010, 11:17:27 PM9/14/10
to mod_auth_p...@googlegroups.com
On 14.09.2010, at 08:26, matth wrote:

> Just got caught out by this, the graceperiod value should be a Unix
> timestamp right?

You're right - IMHO it would make more sense the way the docs describe it (just a relative number of seconds rather than an absolute timestamp), but with the move from the TKTAuthGracePeriod directive to the graceperiod ticket attribute, this was changed (I assume this was a deliberate decision by Frederic), and I didn't update the docs. "graceperiod" may now actually be a bit of a misleading name for an absolute timestamp, but rather than changing the logic again (and thus potentially breaking existing setups), I've simply updated the docs.

Thanks for letting us know!

- Manuel