Compress release 3.0

sources...@genrad.uucp

Jan 3, 1985, 10:06:31 AM1/3/85
From: joe@petsd (Joe Orost)

Here is a state-of-the-art file compression program - "compress" release 3.0.

-------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
cat >README <<'------ EOF ------'
Enclosed is compress version 3.0 with the following changes:

1. "Block" compression is performed. After the BITS run out, the
compression ratio is checked every so often. If it is decreasing,
the table is cleared and a new set of substrings are generated.

This makes the output of compress 3.0 not compatable with that of
compress 2.0. However, compress 3.0 still accepts the output of
compress 2.0. To generate output that is compatable with compress
2.0, use the undocumented "-C" flag.

2. A quiet "-q" flag has been added for use by the news system.

3. The character chaining has been deleted and the program now uses
hashing. This improves the speed of the program, especially
during decompression. Other speed improvements have been made,
such as using putc() instead of fwrite().

4. A large table is used on large machines when a relatively small
number of bits is specified. This saves much time when compressing
for a 16-bit machine on a 32-bit virtual machine. Note that the
speed improvement only occurs when the input file is > 30000
characters, and the -b BITS is less than or equal to the cutoff
described below.

Most of these changes were made by James A. Woods (ames!jaw). Thank you
James!

Version 3.0 has been beta tested on many machines.

To compile compress:

cc -O -DUSERMEM=usermem -o compress compress.c

Where "usermem" is the amount of physical user memory available (in bytes).
If any physical memory is to be reserved for other processes, put in
"-DSACREDMEM sacredmem", where "sacredmem" is the amount to be reserved.

The difference "usermem-sacredmem" determines the maximum BITS that can be
specified, and the cutoff bits where the large+fast table is used.

memory: at least BITS cutoff
------ -- ----- ---- ------
4,718,592 16 13
2,621,440 16 12
1,572,864 16 11
1,048,576 16 10
631,808 16 --
329,728 15 --
178,176 14 --
99,328 13 --
0 12 --

The default memory size is 750,000 which gives a maximum BITS=16 and no
large+fast table.

The maximum bits can be overrulled by specifying "-DBITS=bits" at
compilation time.

If your machine doesn't support unsigned characters, define "NO_UCHAR"
when compiling.

If your machine has "int" as 16-bits, define "SHORT_INT" when compiling.

After compilation, move "compress" to a standard executable location, such
as /usr/local. Then:
cd /usr/local
ln compress uncompress
ln compress zcat

On machines that have a fixed stack size (such as Perkin-Elmer), set the
stack to at least 12kb. ("setstack compress 12" on Perkin-Elmer).

Next, install the manual (compress.l).
cp compress.l /usr/man/manl
cd /usr/man/manl
ln compress.l uncompress.l
ln compress.l zcat.l

- or -

cp compress.l /usr/man/man1/compress.1
cd /usr/man/man1
ln compress.1 uncompress.1
ln compress.1 zcat.1

The zmore shell script and manual page are for use on systems that have a
"more(1)" program. Install the shell script and the manual page in a "bin"
and "man" directory, respectively. If your system doesn't have the
"more(1)" program, just skip "zmore".

regards,
petsd!joe

Here is the README file from the previous version of compress (2.0):

> [...]
> cd /usr/local
> ln compress uncompress
> ln compress zcat
>
>On machines that have a fixed stack size (such as Perkin-Elmer), set the
>stack to at least 12kb. ("setstack compress 12" on Perkin-Elmer).
>
>Next, install the manual (compress.l).
> cp compress.l /usr/man/manl - or -
> cp compress.l /usr/man/man1/compress.1
>
>Here is the README that I sent with my first posting:
>
>>Enclosed is a modified version of compress.c, along with scripts to make it
>>run identically to pack(1), unpack(1), an pcat(1). Here is what I
>>(petsd!joe) and a colleague (petsd!peora!srd) did:
>>
>>1. Removed VAX dependencies.
>>2. Changed the struct to separate arrays; saves mucho memory.
>>3. Did comparisons in unsigned, where possible. (Faster on Perkin-Elmer.)
>>4. Sorted the character next chain and changed the search to stop
>>prematurely. This saves a lot on the execution time when compressing.
>>
>>This version is totally compatible with the original version. Even though
>>lint(1) -p has no complaints about compress.c, it won't run on a 16-bit
>>machine, due to the size of the arrays.
>>
>>Here is the README file from the original author:
>>
>>>Well, with all this discussion about file compression (for news batching
>>>in particular) going around, I decided to implement the text compression
>>>algorithm described in the June Computer magazine. The author claimed
>>>blinding speed and good compression ratios. It's certainly faster than
>>>compact (but, then, what wouldn't be), but it's also the same speed as
>>>pack, and gets better compression than both of them. On 350K bytes of
>>>unix-wizards, compact took about 8 minutes of CPU, pack took about 80
>>>seconds, and compress (herein) also took 80 seconds. But, compact and
>>>pack got about 30% compression, whereas compress got over 50%. So, I
>>>decided I had something, and that others might be interested, too.
>>>
>>>As is probably true of compact and pack (although I haven't checked),
>>>the byte order within a word is probably relevant here, but as long as
>>>you stay on a single machine type, you should be ok. (Can anybody
>>>elucidate on this?) There are a couple of asm's in the code (extv and
>>>insv instructions), so anyone porting it to another machine will have to
>>>deal with this anyway (and could probably make it compatible with Vax
>>>byte order at the same time). Anyway, I've linted the code (both with
>>>and without -p), so it should run elsewhere. Note the longs in the
>>>code, you can take these out if you reduce BITS to <= 15.
>>>
>>>Have fun, and as always, if you make good enhancements, or bug fixes,
>>>I'd like to see them.
>>>
>>>=Spencer (thomas@utah-20, {harpo,hplabs,arizona}!utah-cs!thomas)
>>
>> regards,
>> joe
>>
>>--
>>Full-Name: Joseph M. Orost
>>UUCP: ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!joe
>>US Mail: MS 313; Perkin-Elmer; 106 Apple St; Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
------ EOF ------
ls -l README
cat >compress.l <<'------ EOF ------'
.PU
.TH COMPRESS 1 local
.SH NAME
compress, uncompress, zcat \- compress and uncompress files
.SH SYNOPSIS
.ll +8
.B compress
[
.B \-d
] [
.B \-f
] [
.B \-F
] [
.B \-q
] [
.B \-c
] [
.B \-b
.I bits
] [
.I "filename \&..."
]
.ll -8
.br
.B uncompress
[
.B \-f
] [
.B \-q
] [
.B \-c
] [
.I "filename \&..."
]
.br
.B zcat
[
.I "filename \&..."
]
.SH DESCRIPTION
Compresses the specified files or standard input.
Each file is replaced by a file with the extension
.B "\&.Z,"
but only if the file got smaller.
If no files are specified,
the compression is applied to the standard input
and is written to standard output
regardless of the results.
Compressed files can be restored
to their original form by specifying the
.B \-d
option, or by running
.I uncompress
(linked to
.IR compress ),
on the
.B "\&.Z"
files or the standard input.
.PP
If the output file exists, it will not be overwritten unless the
.B \-f
flag is given. If
.B \-f
is not specified and
.I compress
is run in the foreground,
the user is prompted
as to whether the file should be overwritten.
.PP
If the
.B \-F
flag is given, all files specified are replaced with
.B "\&.Z"
files \- even if the file didn't get smaller.
.PP
When file names are given, the ownership (if run by root), modes, accessed
and modified times are maintained between the file and its
.B "\&.Z"
version. In this respect,
.I compress
can be used for archival purposes, yet can still be used with
.IR make "(1)"
after uncompression.
.PP
The
.B \-c
option causes the results of the compress/uncompress operation to be written
to stdout; no files are changed. The
.I zcat
program is the same as specifying
.B \-c
.I uncompress
(all files are unpacked and written to stdout).
.PP
.I Compress
uses the modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm described in
"A Technique for High Performance Data Compression",
Terry A. Welch,
.I "IEEE Computer"
Vol 17, No 6 (June 1984), pp 8-19.
Common substrings in the file are first replaced by 9-bit codes 257 and up.
When code 512 is reached, the algorithm switches to 10-bit codes and
continues to use more bits until the
.I bits
limit as specified by the
.B \-b
flag is reached (default 16).
.I Bits
must be between 9 and 16. The default can be changed in the source to allow
.I compress
to be run on a smaller machine.
.PP
After the
.I bits
limit is reached,
.I compress
periodically checks the compression ratio. If it is increasing,
.I compress
continues to use the codes that were previously found in the file. However,
if the compression ratio decreases,
.I compress
discards the table of substrings and rebuilds it from scratch. This allows
the algorithm to adapt to the next "block" of the file.
.PP
A two byte magic number is prepended to the file
to ensure that neither uncompression of random text nor recompression of
compressed text are attempted. In addition, the
.I bits
specified during
.I compress
is written to the file so that the
.B \-b
flag can be omitted for
.IR uncompress \.
.PP
.ne 8
The amount of compression obtained depends on the size of the
input file, the amount of
.I bits
per code, and the distribution of character substrings.
Typically, text files, such as C programs,
are reduced by 50\-60%.
Compression is generally much better than that achieved by
Huffman coding (as used in
.IR pack ),
or adaptive Huffman coding
.RI ( compact ),
and takes less time to compute.
.PP
.PP
After each file is compressed, a message is printed giving the percentage of
the input file that has been saved by compression. This message is
suppressed when the
.B \-q
(quiet) flag is given.
.PP
The exit status is normally 0;
if the last file gets bigger after compression, the exit status is 2;
if an error occurs, the exit status is 1.
.SH "SEE ALSO"
compact(1), pack(1)
.SH "DIAGNOSTICS"
Usage: compress [-dfFqc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
.in +8
Invalid options were specified on the command line.
.in -8
Missing maxbits
.in +8
Maxbits must follow
.BR \-b \.
.in -8
Unknown flag:
.I "\'x\';"
.in +8
Invalid flags were specified on the command line.
.in -8
.IR file :
not in compressed format
.in +8
The specified file has not been compressed.
.in -8
.IR file :
compressed with
.I xx
bits, can only handle
.I yy
bits
.in +8
The specified file was compressed by a compress program that could handle
more
.I bits
than the current compress program. Recompress the file with a smaller
.IR bits \.
.in -8
.IR file :
already has .Z suffix -- no change
.in +8
Cannot compress a file that has a ".Z" suffix.
.IR mv "(1)"
the file to a different name and try again.
.in -8
.IR file :
filename too long to tack on .Z
.in +8
The specified file cannot be compressed because its filename is longer than
12 characters.
.IR mv "(1)"
the file to a different name and try again. This message does not occur on
4.2BSD systems.
.in -8
.I file
already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?
.in +8
Respond "y" if you want the output file to be replaced; "n" if you want it
to be left alone.
.in -8
.IR file :
.in +8
This message fragment is written during the processing of a file.
.in -8
Compression:
.I "xx.xx%"
.in +8
This message fragment gives the percentage of the input file that has been
saved by compression.
.in -8
-- not a regular file: unchanged
.in +8
This message fragment is written when the input file is not a regular file.
The input file is left unchanged.
.in -8
-- has
.I xx
other links: unchanged
.in +8
This message fragment is written when the input file has links. The input
file is left unchanged. See
.IR ln "(1)"
for more information.
.in -8
-- file unchanged
.in +8
This message fragment is written when no savings are achieved by
compression. The input file is left unchanged.
.in -8
-- replaced with
.I file
.in +8
This message fragment is written when a file has been sucessfully
compressed/uncompressed.
.in -8
------ EOF ------
ls -l compress.l
cat >compress.c <<'------ EOF ------'
/* Set USERMEM to the maximum amount of physical user memory available
* in bytes. USERMEM is used to determine the maximum BITS that can be used
* for compression. If USERMEM is big enough, use fast compression algorithm.
*
* SACREDMEM is the amount of physical memory saved for others; compress
* will hog the rest.
*/
#ifndef SACREDMEM
#define SACREDMEM 0
#endif

#ifdef pdp11
# define BITS 12 /* max bits/code for 16-bit machine */
# define NO_UCHAR /* also if "unsigned char" functions as signed char */
# define SHORT_INT /* ints are short */
# undef USERMEM
#else !pdp11
# ifndef USERMEM
# define USERMEM 750000 /* default user memory */
# endif
#endif !pdp11
/*
* Define FBITS for machines with several MB of physical memory, to use
* table lookup for (b <= FBITS). If FBITS is made too large, performance
* will decrease due to increased swapping/paging. Since the program minus
* the fast lookup table is about a half Meg, we can allocate the rest of
* available physical memory to the fast lookup table.
*
* If FBITS is set to 12, a 2 MB array is allocated, but only 1 MB is
* addressed for parity-free input (i.e. text).
*
* FBITS=10 yields 1/2 meg lookup table + 4K code memory
* FBITS=11 yields 1 meg lookup table + 8K code memory
* FBITS=12 yields 2 meg lookup table + 16K code memory
* FBITS=13 yields 4 meg lookup table + 32K code memory
*
*/

#ifdef USERMEM
# if USERMEM >= (2621440+SACREDMEM)
# if USERMEM >= (4718592+SACREDMEM)
# define FBITS 13
# define PBITS 16
# else 2.5M <= USERMEM < 4.5M
# define FBITS 12
# define PBITS 16
# endif USERMEM <=> 4.5M
# else USERMEM < 2.5M
# if USERMEM >= (1572864+SACREDMEM)
# define FBITS 11
# define PBITS 16
# else USERMEM < 1.5M
# if USERMEM >= (1048576+SACREDMEM)
# define FBITS 10
# define PBITS 16
# else USERMEM < 1M
# if USERMEM >= (631808+SACREDMEM)
# define PBITS 16
# else
# if USERMEM >= (329728+SACREDMEM)
# define PBITS 15
# else
# if USERMEM >= (178176+SACREDMEM)
# define PBITS 14
# else
# if USERMEM >= (99328+SACREDMEM)
# define PBITS 13
# else
# define PBITS 12
# endif
# endif
# endif
# endif
# undef USERMEM
# endif USERMEM <=> 1M
# endif USERMEM <=> 1.5M
# endif USERMEM <=> 2.5M
#endif USERMEM

#ifdef PBITS /* Preferred BITS for this memory size */
# ifndef BITS
# define BITS PBITS
# endif BITS
#endif PBITS

#if BITS == 16
# define HSIZE 69001 /* 95% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 15
# define HSIZE 35023 /* 94% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 14
# define HSIZE 18013 /* 91% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 13
# define HSIZE 9001 /* 91% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 12
# define HSIZE 5003 /* 80% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 11
# define HSIZE 2591 /* 79% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 10
# define HSIZE 1291 /* 79% occupancy */
#endif
#if BITS == 9
# define HSIZE 691 /* 74% occupancy */
#endif
/* BITS < 9 will cause an error */

/*
* a code_int must be able to hold 2**BITS values of type int, and also -1
*/
#if BITS > 15
typedef long int code_int;
#else
typedef int code_int;
#endif

#ifdef interdata
typedef unsigned long int count_int;
typedef unsigned short int count_short;
#else
typedef long int count_int;
#endif

#ifdef NO_UCHAR
typedef char char_type;
#else UCHAR
typedef unsigned char char_type;
#endif UCHAR
char_type magic_header[] = { "\037\235" }; /* 1F 9D */

/* Defines for third byte of header */
#define BIT_MASK 0x1f
#define BLOCK_MASK 0x80
/* Masks 0x40 and 0x20 are free. I think 0x20 should mean that there is
a fourth header byte (for expansion).
*/
#define INIT_BITS 9 /* initial number of bits/code */

/*
* compress.c - File compression ala IEEE Computer June 1984.
*
* Authors: Spencer W. Thomas (decvax!harpo!utah-cs!utah-gr!thomas)
* Jim McKie (decvax!mcvax!jim)
* Steve Davies (decvax!vax135!petsd!peora!srd)
* Ken Turkowski (decvax!decwrl!turtlevax!ken)
* James A. Woods (decvax!ihnp4!ames!jaw)
* Joe Orost (decvax!vax135!petsd!joe)
*
* $Header: compress.c,v 3.0 84/11/27 11:50:00 joe Exp $
* $Log: compress.c,v $
* Revision 3.0 84/11/27 11:50:00 petsd!joe
* Set HSIZE depending on BITS. Set BITS depending on USERMEM. Unrolled
* loops in clear routines. Added "-C" flag for 2.0 compatability. Used
* unsigned compares on Perkin-Elmer. Fixed foreground check.
*
* Revision 2.7 84/11/16 19:35:39 ames!jaw
* Cache common hash codes based on input statistics; this improves
* performance for low-density raster images. Pass on #ifdef bundle
* from Turkowski.
*
* Revision 2.6 84/11/05 19:18:21 ames!jaw
* Vary size of hash tables to reduce time for small files.
* Tune PDP-11 hash function.
*
* Revision 2.5 84/10/30 20:15:14 ames!jaw
* Junk chaining; replace with the simpler (and, on the VAX, faster)
* double hashing, discussed within. Make block compression standard.
*
* Revision 2.4 84/10/16 11:11:11 ames!jaw
* Introduce adaptive reset for block compression, to boost the rate
* another several percent. (See mailing list notes.)
*
* Revision 2.3 84/09/22 22:00:00 petsd!joe
* Implemented "-B" block compress. Implemented REVERSE sorting of tab_next.
* Bug fix for last bits. Changed fwrite to putchar loop everywhere.
*
* Revision 2.2 84/09/18 14:12:21 ames!jaw
* Fold in news changes, small machine typedef from thomas,
* #ifdef interdata from joe.
*
* Revision 2.1 84/09/10 12:34:56 ames!jaw
* Configured fast table lookup for 32-bit machines.
* This cuts user time in half for b <= FBITS, and is useful for news batching
* from VAX to PDP sites. Also sped up decompress() [fwrite->putc] and
* added signal catcher [plus beef in writeerr()] to delete effluvia.
*
* Revision 2.0 84/08/28 22:00:00 petsd!joe
* Add check for foreground before prompting user. Insert maxbits into
* compressed file. Force file being uncompressed to end with ".Z".
* Added "-c" flag and "zcat". Prepared for release.
*
* Revision 1.10 84/08/24 18:28:00 turtlevax!ken
* Will only compress regular files (no directories), added a magic number
* header (plus an undocumented -n flag to handle old files without headers),
* added -f flag to force overwriting of possibly existing destination file,
* otherwise the user is prompted for a response. Will tack on a .Z to a
* filename if it doesn't have one when decompressing. Will only replace
* file if it was compressed.
*
* Revision 1.9 84/08/16 17:28:00 turtlevax!ken
* Removed scanargs(), getopt(), added .Z extension and unlimited number of
* filenames to compress. Flags may be clustered (-Ddvb12) or separated
* (-D -d -v -b 12), or combination thereof. Modes and other status is
* copied with copystat(). -O bug for 4.2 seems to have disappeared with
* 1.8.
*
* Revision 1.8 84/08/09 23:15:00 joe
* Made it compatible with vax version, installed jim's fixes/enhancements
*
* Revision 1.6 84/08/01 22:08:00 joe
* Sped up algorithm significantly by sorting the compress chain.
*
* Revision 1.5 84/07/13 13:11:00 srd
* Added C version of vax asm routines. Changed structure to arrays to
* save much memory. Do unsigned compares where possible (faster on
* Perkin-Elmer)
*
* Revision 1.4 84/07/05 03:11:11 thomas
* Clean up the code a little and lint it. (Lint complains about all
* the regs used in the asm, but I'm not going to "fix" this.)
*
* Revision 1.3 84/07/05 02:06:54 thomas
* Minor fixes.
*
* Revision 1.2 84/07/05 00:27:27 thomas
* Add variable bit length output.
*
*/
#ifndef lint
static char rcs_ident[] = "$Header: compress.c,v 3.0 84/11/27 11:50:00 joe Exp $";
#endif !lint

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

#define ARGVAL() (*++(*argv) || (--argc && *++argv))

int n_bits; /* number of bits/code */
int maxbits = BITS; /* user settable max # bits/code */
code_int maxcode; /* maximum code, given n_bits */
code_int maxmaxcode = 1 << BITS; /* should NEVER generate this code */
#ifdef COMPATIBLE /* But wrong! */
# define MAXCODE(n_bits) (1 << (n_bits) - 1)
#else COMPATIBLE
# define MAXCODE(n_bits) ((1 << (n_bits)) - 1)
#endif COMPATIBLE

/*
* One code could conceivably represent (1<<BITS) characters, but
* to get a code of length N requires an input string of at least
* N*(N-1)/2 characters. With 5000 chars in the stack, an input
* file would have to contain a 25Mb string of a single character.
* This seems unlikely.
*/
#ifdef SHORT_INT
# define MAXSTACK 5000 /* size of output stack */
#else !SHORT_INT
# define MAXSTACK 8000 /* size of output stack */
#endif !SHORT_INT

count_int htab [HSIZE];
unsigned short codetab [HSIZE];
code_int hsize = HSIZE; /* for dynamic table sizing */
count_int fsize;

#define tab_prefix codetab /* prefix code for this entry */
char_type tab_suffix[1<<BITS]; /* last char in this entry */

#ifdef USERMEM
short ftable [(1 << FBITS) * 256];
count_int fcodemem [1 << FBITS];
#endif USERMEM

code_int free_ent = 0; /* first unused entry */
int exit_stat = 0;

code_int getcode();

Usage() {
#ifdef DEBUG
fprintf(stderr,"Usage: compress [-dDvqfFc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]\n");
}
int debug = 0;
#else DEBUG
fprintf(stderr,"Usage: compress [-dfFqc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]\n");
}
#endif DEBUG
int nomagic = 0; /* Use a 2 byte magic number header, unless old file */
int zcat_flg = 0; /* Write output on stdout, suppress messages */
int quiet = 0; /* don't tell me about compression */

/*
* block compression parameters -- after all codes are used up,
* and compression rate changes, start over.
*/
int block_compress = BLOCK_MASK;
int clear_flg = 0;
double ratio = 0.0; /* compression ratio for last block */
#define CHECK_GAP 10000 /* ratio check interval */
count_int checkpoint = CHECK_GAP;
/*
* the next two codes should not be changed lightly, as they must not
* lie within the contiguous general code space.
*/
#define FIRST 257 /* first free entry */
#define CLEAR 256 /* table clear output code */

int force = 0;
char ofname [100];
#ifdef DEBUG
int verbose = 0;
#endif DEBUG
int (*bgnd_flag)();

/*****************************************************************
* TAG( main )
*
* Algorithm from "A Technique for High Performance Data Compression",
* Terry A. Welch, IEEE Computer Vol 17, No 6 (June 1984), pp 8-19.
*
* Usage: compress [-dfFqc] [-b bits] [file ...]
* Inputs:
* -d: If given, decompression is done instead.
*
* -c: Write output on stdout, don't remove original.
*
* -b: Parameter limits the max number of bits/code.
*
* -f: Forces output file to be generated, even if one already
* exists; if -f is not used, the user will be prompted if
* the stdin is a tty, otherwise, the output file will not
* be overwritten.
*
* -F: Forces output file to be generated, even if no space is
* saved by compressing.
*
* -q: No output, unless error
*
* file ...: Files to be compressed. If none specified, stdin
* is used.
* Outputs:
* file.Z: Compressed form of file with same mode, owner, and utimes
* or stdout (if stdin used as input)
*
* Assumptions:
* When filenames are given, replaces with the compressed version
* (.Z suffix) only if the file decreased in size.
* Algorithm:
* Modified Lempel-Ziv method (LZW). Basically finds common
* substrings and replaces them with a variable size code. This is
* deterministic, and can be done on the fly. Thus, the decompression
* procedure needs no input table, but tracks the way the table was
* built.
*/

main( argc, argv )
register int argc; char **argv;
{
int do_decomp = 0;
int overwrite = 0; /* Do not overwrite unless given -f flag */
char tempname[100];
char **filelist, **fileptr;
char *cp, *rindex();
struct stat statbuf;
extern onintr();

if ( (bgnd_flag = signal ( SIGINT, SIG_IGN )) != SIG_IGN )
signal ( SIGINT, onintr );

#ifdef COMPATIBLE
nomagic = 1; /* Original didn't have a magic number */
#endif COMPATIBLE

filelist = fileptr = (char **)(malloc(argc * sizeof(*argv)));
*filelist = NULL;

if((cp = rindex(argv[0], '/')) != 0) {
cp++;
} else {
cp = argv[0];
}
if(strcmp(cp, "uncompress") == 0) {
do_decomp = 1;
} else if(strcmp(cp, "zcat") == 0) {
do_decomp = 1;
zcat_flg = 1;
}

#ifdef BSD4_2
/* 4.2BSD dependent - take it out if not */
setlinebuf( stderr );
#endif BSD4_2

/* Argument Processing
* All flags are optional.
* -D => debug
* -d => do_decomp
* -v => verbose
* -f => force overwrite of output file
* -n => no header: useful to uncompress old files
* -b maxbits => maxbits. If -b is specified, then maxbits MUST be
* given also.
* -c => cat all output to stdout
* -C => generate output compatable with compress 2.0.
* if a string is left, must be an input filename.
*/
for (argc--, argv++; argc > 0; argc--, argv++) {
if (**argv == '-') { /* A flag argument */
while (*++(*argv)) { /* Process all flags in this arg */
switch (**argv) {
#ifdef DEBUG
case 'D':
debug = 1;
break;
case 'v':
verbose = 1;
break;
#endif DEBUG
case 'd':
do_decomp = 1;
break;
case 'f':
overwrite = 1;
break;
case 'n':
nomagic = 1;
break;
case 'C':
block_compress = 0;
break;
case 'b':
if (!ARGVAL()) {
fprintf(stderr, "Missing maxbits\n");
Usage();
exit(1);
}
maxbits = atoi(*argv);
goto nextarg;
case 'c':
zcat_flg = 1;
break;
case 'q':
quiet = 1;
break;
case 'F':
force = 1;
break;
default:
fprintf(stderr, "Unknown flag: '%c'; ", **argv);
Usage();
exit(1);
}
}
}
else { /* Input file name */
*fileptr++ = *argv; /* Build input file list */
*fileptr = NULL;
/* goto nextarg; */
}
nextarg: continue;
}

if(maxbits < INIT_BITS) maxbits = INIT_BITS;
if (maxbits > BITS) maxbits = BITS;
maxmaxcode = 1 << maxbits;

if (*filelist != NULL) {
for (fileptr = filelist; *fileptr; fileptr++) {
exit_stat = 0;
if (do_decomp != 0) { /* DECOMPRESSION */
/* Check for .Z suffix */
if (strcmp(*fileptr + strlen(*fileptr) - 2, ".Z") != 0) {
/* No .Z: tack one on */
strcpy(tempname, *fileptr);
strcat(tempname, ".Z");
*fileptr = tempname;
}
/* Open input file */
if ((freopen(*fileptr, "r", stdin)) == NULL) {
perror(*fileptr); continue;
}
/* Check the magic number */
if (nomagic == 0) {
if ((getchar() != (magic_header[0] & 0xFF))
|| (getchar() != (magic_header[1] & 0xFF))) {
fprintf(stderr, "%s: not in compressed format\n",
*fileptr);
continue;
}
maxbits = getchar(); /* set -b from file */
block_compress = maxbits & BLOCK_MASK;
maxbits &= BIT_MASK;
maxmaxcode = 1 << maxbits;
if(maxbits > BITS) {
fprintf(stderr,
"%s: compressed with %d bits, can only handle %d bits\n",
*fileptr, maxbits, BITS);
continue;
}
}
/* Generate output filename */
strcpy(ofname, *fileptr);
ofname[strlen(*fileptr) - 2] = '\0'; /* Strip off .Z */
} else { /* COMPRESSION */
if (strcmp(*fileptr + strlen(*fileptr) - 2, ".Z") == 0) {
fprintf(stderr, "%s: already has .Z suffix -- no change\n",
*fileptr);
continue;
}
/* Open input file */
if ((freopen(*fileptr, "r", stdin)) == NULL) {
perror(*fileptr); continue;
}
stat ( *fileptr, &statbuf );
fsize = (long) statbuf.st_size;
/*
* tune hash table size for small files -- ad hoc
*/
#if HSIZE > 5003
if ( fsize < (1 << 12) )
hsize = 5003;
#if HSIZE > 9001
else if ( fsize < (1 << 13) )
hsize = 9001;
#if HSIZE > 18013
else if ( fsize < (1 << 14) )
hsize = 18013;
#if HSIZE > 35023
else if ( fsize < (1 << 15) )
hsize = 35023;
else if ( fsize < 47000 )
hsize = 50021;
#endif HSIZE > 35023
#endif HSIZE > 18013
#endif HSIZE > 9001
else
#endif HSIZE > 5003
hsize = HSIZE;
/* Generate output filename */
strcpy(ofname, *fileptr);
#ifndef BSD4_2 /* Short filenames */
if ((cp=rindex(ofname,'/')) != NULL) cp++;
else cp = ofname;
if (strlen(cp) > 12) {
fprintf(stderr,"%s: filename too long to tack on .Z\n",cp);
continue;
}
#endif BSD4_2 /* Long filenames allowed */
strcat(ofname, ".Z");
}
/* Check for overwrite of existing file */
if (overwrite == 0 && zcat_flg == 0) {
if (stat(ofname, &statbuf) == 0) {
char response[2];
response[0] = 'n';
fprintf(stderr, "%s already exists;", ofname);
if (foreground()) {
fprintf(stderr, " do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? ",
ofname);
fflush(stderr);
read(2, response, 2);
while (response[1] != '\n') {
if (read(2, response+1, 1) < 0) { /* Ack! */
perror("stderr"); break;
}
}
}
if (response[0] != 'y') {
fprintf(stderr, "\tnot overwritten\n");
continue;
}
}
}
if(zcat_flg == 0) { /* Open output file */
if (freopen(ofname, "w", stdout) == NULL) {
perror(ofname);
continue;
}
if(!quiet)
fprintf(stderr, "%s: ", *fileptr);
}

/* Actually do the compression/decompression */
if (do_decomp == 0) compress();
#ifndef DEBUG
else decompress();
#else DEBUG
else if (debug == 0) decompress();
else printcodes();
if (verbose) dump_tab();
#endif DEBUG
if(zcat_flg == 0) {
copystat(*fileptr, ofname); /* Copy stats */
if(exit_stat || (!quiet))
putc('\n', stderr);
}
}
} else { /* Standard input */
if (do_decomp == 0) {
compress();
if(!quiet)
putc('\n', stderr);
} else {
/* Check the magic number */
if (nomagic == 0) {
if ((getchar()!=(magic_header[0] & 0xFF))
|| (getchar()!=(magic_header[1] & 0xFF))) {
fprintf(stderr, "stdin: not in compressed format\n");
exit(1);
}
maxbits = getchar(); /* set -b from file */
block_compress = maxbits & BLOCK_MASK;
maxbits &= BIT_MASK;
maxmaxcode = 1 << maxbits;
fsize = 100000; /* assume stdin large for USERMEM */
if(maxbits > BITS) {
fprintf(stderr,
"stdin: compressed with %d bits, can only handle %d bits\n",
maxbits, BITS);
exit(1);
}
}
#ifndef DEBUG
decompress();
#else DEBUG
if (debug == 0) decompress();
else printcodes();
if (verbose) dump_tab();
#endif DEBUG
}
}
exit(exit_stat);
}

static int offset;
long int in_count = 1; /* length of input */
long int bytes_out; /* length of compressed output */
long int out_count = 0; /* # of codes output (for debugging) */

#define HOG_CHECK ((count_int) 2000) /* Number of chars to read b4 check */
#define MAX_CACHE ((count_int) 1<<BITS) /* Next line is this constant too */
unsigned short hashcache [1<<BITS]; /* common hash short circuit cache */
count_int cfreq [256]; /* character counts */
#ifndef vax
char chog; /* most common character from input */
# define CHOG ' ' /* Assume space is most frequent */
#else
int chog; /* char arith slow on VAX */
# define CHOG (int) ' ' /* Assume space is most frequent */
#endif
int cstat_flg = 0; /* on after determining char hog */

/*
* compress stdin to stdout
*
* Algorithm: on large machines, for maxbits <= FBITS, use fast direct table
* lookup on the prefix code / next character combination. For smaller code
* size, use open addressing modular division double hashing (no chaining), ala
* Knuth vol. 3, sec. 6.4 Algorithm D, along with G. Knott's relatively-prime
* secondary probe. Do block compression with an adaptive reset, whereby the
* code table is cleared when the compression ratio decreases, but after the
* table fills. The variable-length output codes are re-sized at this point,
* and a special CLEAR code is generated for the decompressor. For the
* megamemory version, the sparse array is cleared indirectly through a
* "shadow" output code history. Late additions: for the hashing code,
* construct the table according to file size for noticeable speed improvement
* on small files. Also detect and cache codes associated with the most
* common character to bypass hash calculation on these codes (a characteristic
* of highly-compressable raster images). Please direct questions about this
* implementation to ames!jaw.
*/

compress() {
register long fcode;
register code_int i = 0;
register int c;
register code_int ent;
register int disp;
register code_int hsize_reg;

#ifndef COMPATIBLE
if (nomagic == 0) {
putchar(magic_header[0]); putchar(magic_header[1]);
putchar((char)(maxbits | block_compress));
}
#endif COMPATIBLE

offset = 0;
bytes_out = 0;
out_count = 0;
clear_flg = 0;
ratio = 0.0;
in_count = 1;
checkpoint = CHECK_GAP;
maxcode = MAXCODE(n_bits = INIT_BITS);
free_ent = ((block_compress) ? FIRST : 256 );
ent = getchar ();

#ifdef USERMEM
if ( maxbits <= FBITS && (fsize >= 30000) ) { /* use hashing on small files */

while ( (c = getchar()) != (unsigned) EOF ) {
in_count++;
fcode = (long) (((long) c << maxbits) + ent);
if ( ftable [fcode] != 0 ) /* test for code in "string" table */
ent = ftable [fcode];
else {
output ( (code_int) ent );
out_count++;
ent = c;
if ( free_ent >= maxmaxcode ) {
if ( (count_int)in_count < checkpoint || (!block_compress) )
continue;
else {
clear ();
i = 0;
}
} else { /* put code in table */
ftable [fcode] = (short) free_ent++;
fcodemem [i++] = fcode; /* memorize for block compression */
}
}
}
goto fin;
}
#endif USERMEM

chog = CHOG; /* assumed character for the hog */
cstat_flg = 0;
hsize_reg = hsize;
cl_hash(hsize_reg); /* clear hash tables */

while ( (c = getchar()) != (unsigned) EOF ) {
in_count++;
if ( cstat_flg == 0 ) {
cfreq [c]++; /* gather frequencies at start of input */
if ( (count_int)in_count > HOG_CHECK ) {
cstat_flg = 1;
chog = hogtally(); /* compute char hog */
if(chog != CHOG) /* fixup for wrong assumption */
creset( (count_int) free_ent );
}
}
if ( c == chog )
if ( (i = hashcache [ent]) ) { /* cache -> code */
ent = i;
continue;
}
fcode = (long) (((long) c << maxbits) + ent);
#ifdef SHORT_INT
i = (((c + 12347) * ent) & 077777) % HSIZE; /* avoid 'lrem' call */
#else !SHORT_INT
i = fcode % hsize_reg; /* division hashing */
#endif SHORT_INT

if ( htab [i] == fcode ) {
ent = codetab [i];
continue;
} else if ( (long)htab [i] < 0 ) /* empty slot */
goto nomatch;
disp = hsize_reg - i; /* secondary hash (G. Knott) */
if ( i == 0 )
disp = 1;
probe:
if ( (i -= disp) < 0 )
i += hsize_reg;

if ( htab [i] == fcode ) {
ent = codetab [i];
continue;
}
if ( (long)htab [i] > 0 )
goto probe;
nomatch:
output ( (code_int) ent );
out_count++;
#ifdef interdata
if ( (unsigned) free_ent < (unsigned) maxmaxcode) {
#else
if ( free_ent < maxmaxcode ) {
#endif
if ( c == chog ) /* code -> cache */
hashcache [ent] = free_ent;
/* code -> hashtable */
codetab [i] = free_ent++;
htab [i] = fcode;
}
else if ( (count_int)in_count >= checkpoint && block_compress )
clear ();
ent = c;
}
fin:
/*
* Put out the final code.
*/
output( (code_int)ent );
out_count++;
output( (code_int)-1 );

/*
* Print out stats on stderr
*/
if(zcat_flg == 0 && !quiet) {
#ifdef DEBUG
fprintf( stderr,
"%ld chars in, %ld codes (%ld bytes) out, compression factor %g\n",
in_count, out_count, bytes_out,
(double)in_count / (double)bytes_out );
fprintf( stderr, "\tCompression as in compact: %5.2f%%\n",
100.0 * ( in_count - bytes_out ) / (double) in_count );
fprintf( stderr, "\tLargest code was %d (%d bits)\n", free_ent - 1, n_bits );
#else DEBUG
fprintf( stderr, "Compression: %5.2f%%",
100.0 * ( in_count - bytes_out ) / (double) in_count );
#endif DEBUG
}
if(bytes_out > in_count) /* exit(2) if no savings */
exit_stat = 2;
return;
}

/*****************************************************************
* TAG( output )
*
* Output the given code.
* Inputs:
* code: A n_bits-bit integer. If == -1, then EOF. This assumes
* that n_bits =< (long)wordsize - 1.
* Outputs:
* Outputs code to the file.
* Assumptions:
* Chars are 8 bits long.
* Algorithm:
* Maintain a BITS character long buffer (so that 8 codes will
* fit in it exactly). Use the VAX insv instruction to insert each
* code in turn. When the buffer fills up empty it and start over.
*/

static char buf[BITS];

#ifndef vax
char_type lmask[9] = {0xff, 0xfe, 0xfc, 0xf8, 0xf0, 0xe0, 0xc0, 0x80, 0x00};
char_type rmask[9] = {0x00, 0x01, 0x03, 0x07, 0x0f, 0x1f, 0x3f, 0x7f, 0xff};
#endif !vax

output( code )
code_int code;
{
#ifdef DEBUG
static int col = 0;
#endif DEBUG

/*
* On the VAX, it is important to have the register declarations
* in exactly the order given, or the asm will break.
*/
register int r_off = offset, bits= n_bits;
register char * bp = buf;

if ( code >= 0 ) {
#ifdef DEBUG
if ( verbose )
fprintf( stderr, "%5d%c", code,
(col+=6) >= 74 ? (col = 0, '\n') : ' ' );
#endif DEBUG
#ifdef vax
/* VAX DEPENDENT!! Implementation on other machines may be
* difficult.
*
* Translation: Insert BITS bits from the argument starting at
* offset bits from the beginning of buf.
*/
0; /* C compiler bug ?? */
asm( "insv 4(ap),r11,r10,(r9)" );
#else not a vax
/* WARNING: byte/bit numbering on the vax is simulated by the following code
*/
/*
* Get to the first byte.
*/
bp += (r_off >> 3);
r_off &= 7;
/*
* Since code is always >= 8 bits, only need to mask the first
* hunk on the left.
*/
*bp = (*bp & rmask[r_off]) | (code << r_off) & lmask[r_off];
bp++;
bits -= (8 - r_off);
code >>= 8 - r_off;
/* Get any 8 bit parts in the middle (<=1 for up to 16 bits). */
if ( bits >= 8 ) {
*bp++ = code;
code >>= 8;
bits -= 8;
}
/* Last bits. */
if(bits)
*bp = code;
#endif vax
offset += n_bits;
if ( offset == (n_bits << 3) ) {
bp = buf;
bits = n_bits;
bytes_out += bits;
do
putchar(*bp++);
while(--bits);
if (ferror(stdout))
writeerr();
offset = 0;
}

/*
* If the next entry is going to be too big for the code size,
* then increase it, if possible.
*/
if ( free_ent > maxcode || (clear_flg > 0)) {
/*
* Write the whole buffer, because the input side won't
* discover the size increase until after it has read it.
*/
if ( offset > 0 ) {
if( fwrite( buf, 1, n_bits, stdout ) != n_bits)
writeerr();
bytes_out += n_bits;
}
offset = 0;

if ( clear_flg ) {
maxcode = MAXCODE (n_bits = INIT_BITS);
clear_flg = 0;
} else {
n_bits++;
if ( n_bits == maxbits )
maxcode = maxmaxcode;
else
maxcode = MAXCODE(n_bits);
}
#ifdef DEBUG
if ( debug ) {
fprintf( stderr, "\nChange to %d bits\n", n_bits );
col = 0;
}
#endif DEBUG
}
} else {
/*
* At EOF, write the rest of the buffer.
*/
if ( offset > 0 )
fwrite( buf, 1, (offset + 7) / 8, stdout );
bytes_out += (offset + 7) / 8;
offset = 0;
fflush( stdout );
#ifdef DEBUG
if ( verbose )
fprintf( stderr, "\n" );
#endif DEBUG
if( ferror( stdout ) )
writeerr();
}
}

decompress() {
register int stack_top = MAXSTACK;
register code_int code, oldcode, incode;
register int finchar;
char stack[MAXSTACK];

/*
* As above, initialize the first 256 entries in the table.
*/
maxcode = MAXCODE(n_bits = INIT_BITS);
for ( code = 255; code >= 0; code-- ) {
tab_prefix[code] = 0;
tab_suffix[code] = (char_type)code;
}
free_ent = ((block_compress) ? FIRST : 256 );

finchar = oldcode = getcode();
putchar( (char)finchar ); /* first code must be 8 bits = char */

while ( (code = getcode()) != -1 ) {

if ( (code == CLEAR) && block_compress ) {
for ( code = 255; code > 0; code -= 4 ) {
tab_prefix [code-3] = 0;
tab_prefix [code-2] = 0;
tab_prefix [code-1] = 0;
tab_prefix [code] = 0;
}
clear_flg = 1;
free_ent = FIRST - 1;
if ( (code = getcode ()) == -1 ) /* O, untimely death! */
break;
}
incode = code;
/*
* Special case for KwKwK string.
*/
if ( code >= free_ent ) {
stack[--stack_top] = finchar;
code = oldcode;
}

/*
* Generate output characters in reverse order
*/
#ifdef interdata
while ( ((unsigned long)code) >= ((unsigned long)256) ) {
#else !interdata
while ( code >= 256 ) {
#endif interdata
stack[--stack_top] = tab_suffix[code];
code = tab_prefix[code];
}
stack[--stack_top] = finchar = tab_suffix[code];

/*
* And put them out in forward order
*/
for ( ; stack_top < MAXSTACK; stack_top++ )
putchar(stack[stack_top]);
if (ferror(stdout))
writeerr ( );
stack_top = MAXSTACK;

/*
* Generate the new entry.
*/
if ( (code=free_ent) < maxmaxcode ) {
tab_prefix[code] = (unsigned short)oldcode;
tab_suffix[code] = finchar;
free_ent = code+1;
}
/*
* Remember previous code.
*/
oldcode = incode;
}
fflush( stdout );
if(ferror(stdout))
writeerr();
}

/*****************************************************************
* TAG( getcode )
*
* Read one code from the standard input. If EOF, return -1.
* Inputs:
* stdin
* Outputs:
* code or -1 is returned.
*/

code_int
getcode() {
/*
* On the VAX, it is important to have the register declarations
* in exactly the order given, or the asm will break.
*/
register code_int code;
static int offset = 0, size = 0;
static char_type buf[BITS];
register int r_off, bits;
register char_type *bp = buf;

if ( clear_flg > 0 || offset >= size || free_ent > maxcode ) {
/*
* If the next entry will be too big for the current code
* size, then we must increase the size. This implies reading
* a new buffer full, too.
*/
if ( free_ent > maxcode ) {
n_bits++;
if ( n_bits == maxbits )
maxcode = maxmaxcode; /* won't get any bigger now */
else
maxcode = MAXCODE(n_bits);
}
if ( clear_flg > 0) {
maxcode = MAXCODE (n_bits = INIT_BITS);
clear_flg = 0;
}
size = fread( buf, 1, n_bits, stdin );
if ( size <= 0 )
return -1; /* end of file */
offset = 0;
/* Round size down to integral number of codes */
size = (size << 3) - (n_bits - 1);
}
r_off = offset;
bits = n_bits;
#ifdef vax
asm( "extzv r10,r9,(r8),r11" );
#else not a vax
/*
* Get to the first byte.
*/
bp += (r_off >> 3);
r_off &= 7;
/* Get first part (low order bits) */
#ifdef NO_UCHAR
code = ((*bp++ >> r_off) & rmask[8 - r_off]) & 0xff;
#else NO_UCHAR
code = (*bp++ >> r_off);
#endif NO_UCHAR
bits -= (8 - r_off);
r_off = 8 - r_off; /* now, offset into code word */
/* Get any 8 bit parts in the middle (<=1 for up to 16 bits). */
if ( bits >= 8 ) {
#ifdef NO_UCHAR
code |= (*bp++ & 0xff) << r_off;
#else NO_UCHAR
code |= *bp++ << r_off;
#endif NO_UCHAR
r_off += 8;
bits -= 8;
}
/* high order bits. */
code |= (*bp & rmask[bits]) << r_off;
#endif vax
offset += n_bits;

return code;
}

char *
rindex(s, c) /* For those who don't have it in libc.a */
register char *s, c;
{
char *p;
for (p = NULL; *s; s++)
if (*s == c)
p = s;
return(p);
}

#ifdef DEBUG
printcodes()
{
/*
* Just print out codes from input file. Mostly for debugging.
*/
code_int code;
int col = 0, bits;

bits = n_bits = INIT_BITS;
maxcode = MAXCODE(n_bits);
free_ent = ((block_compress) ? FIRST : 256 );
while ( ( code = getcode() ) >= 0 ) {
if ( (code == CLEAR) && block_compress ) {
free_ent = FIRST - 1;
clear_flg = 1;
}
else if ( free_ent < maxmaxcode )
free_ent++;
if ( bits != n_bits ) {
fprintf(stderr, "\nChange to %d bits\n", n_bits );
bits = n_bits;
col = 0;
}
fprintf(stderr, "%5d%c", code, (col+=6) >= 74 ? (col = 0, '\n') : ' ' );
}
putc( '\n', stderr );
exit( 0 );
}

dump_tab() /* dump string table */
{
register int i;
register ent;
char stack[4 * MAXSTACK]; /* \nnn makes it 4 times bigger */
int stack_top = 4 * MAXSTACK;

for ( i = 0; i < free_ent; i++ ) {
ent = i;
if ( isascii(tab_suffix[ent]) && isprint(tab_suffix[ent]) )
fprintf( stderr, "%5d: %5d/'%c' \"",
ent, tab_prefix[ent], tab_suffix[ent] );
else
fprintf( stderr, "%5d: %5d/\\%03o \"",
ent, tab_prefix[ent], tab_suffix[ent] );
stack[--stack_top] = '\n';
stack[--stack_top] = '"';
for ( ; ent != NULL;
ent = (ent >= FIRST ? tab_prefix[ent] : NULL) ) {
if ( isascii(tab_suffix[ent]) && isprint(tab_suffix[ent]) )
stack[--stack_top] = tab_suffix[ent];
else {
switch( tab_suffix[ent] ) {
case '\n': stack[--stack_top] = 'n'; break;
case '\t': stack[--stack_top] = 't'; break;
case '\b': stack[--stack_top] = 'b'; break;
case '\f': stack[--stack_top] = 'f'; break;
case '\r': stack[--stack_top] = 'r'; break;
default:
stack[--stack_top] = '0' + tab_suffix[ent] % 8;
stack[--stack_top] = '0' + (tab_suffix[ent] / 8) % 8;
stack[--stack_top] = '0' + tab_suffix[ent] / 64;
break;
}
stack[--stack_top] = '\\';
}
}
fwrite( &stack[stack_top], 1, 4 * MAXSTACK - stack_top, stderr );
stack_top = 4 * MAXSTACK;
}
}
#endif DEBUG

/*****************************************************************
* TAG( writeerr )
*
* Exits with a message. We only check for write errors often enough
* to avoid a lot of "file system full" messages, not on every write.
* ferror() check after fflush will catch any others (I trust).
*
*/

writeerr()
{
perror ( ofname );
unlink ( ofname );
exit ( 1 );
}

copystat(ifname, ofname)
char *ifname, *ofname;
{
struct stat statbuf;
int mode;
time_t timep[2];

fclose(stdout);
if (stat(ifname, &statbuf)) { /* Get stat on input file */
perror(ifname);
return;
}
if ((statbuf.st_mode & S_IFMT/*0170000*/) != S_IFREG/*0100000*/) {
if(quiet)
fprintf(stderr, "%s: ", ifname);
fprintf(stderr, " -- not a regular file: unchanged");
exit_stat = 1;
} else if (statbuf.st_nlink > 1) {
if(quiet)
fprintf(stderr, "%s: ", ifname);
fprintf(stderr, " -- has %d other links: unchanged",
statbuf.st_nlink - 1);
exit_stat = 1;
} else if (exit_stat == 2 && (!force)) { /* No compression: remove file.Z */
fprintf(stderr, " -- file unchanged");
} else { /* ***** Successful Compression ***** */
exit_stat = 0;
mode = statbuf.st_mode & 07777;
if (chmod(ofname, mode)) /* Copy modes */
perror(ofname);
chown(ofname, statbuf.st_uid, statbuf.st_gid); /* Copy ownership */
timep[0] = statbuf.st_atime;
timep[1] = statbuf.st_mtime;
utime(ofname, timep); /* Update last accessed and modified times */
if (unlink(ifname)) /* Remove input file */
perror(ifname);
if(!quiet)
fprintf(stderr, " -- replaced with %s", ofname);
return; /* Successful return */
}

/* Unsuccessful return -- one of the tests failed */
if (unlink(ofname))
perror(ofname);
}
/*
* This routine returns 1 if we are running in the foreground and stderr
* is a tty.
*/
foreground()
{
if(bgnd_flag) { /* background? */
return(0);
} else { /* foreground */
if(isatty(2)) { /* and stderr is a tty */
return(1);
} else {
return(0);
}
}
}

onintr ( )
{
unlink ( ofname );
exit ( 1 );
}

clear () /* table clear for block compress */
{
register code_int i;
register count_int *p, *endp;
register unsigned short *q;

#ifdef DEBUG
if(debug)
fprintf ( stderr, "count: %ld ratio: %f\n", in_count,
(double) in_count / (double) bytes_out );
#endif DEBUG

checkpoint = in_count + CHECK_GAP;
if ( (double) in_count / (double) bytes_out > ratio )
ratio = (double) in_count / (double) bytes_out;
else {
ratio = 0.0;
#ifdef USERMEM
if ( maxbits <= FBITS ) /* sparse array clear */
for ( i = (1 << maxbits) - 1; i >= 0; i-- )
ftable [fcodemem [i]] = 0; /* indirect thru "shadow" */
else
#endif USERMEM /* hash table clear */
{
endp = &htab [hsize];
for ( p = &htab [0], q = &codetab [0]; p < endp; ) {
*p++ = -1;
*q++ = 0;
}
creset ( MAX_CACHE );
}
free_ent = FIRST;
clear_flg = 1;
output ( (code_int) CLEAR );
#ifdef DEBUG
if(debug)
fprintf ( stderr, "clear\n" );
#endif DEBUG
}
}

creset ( n ) /* clear hash cache */
register count_int n; /* clear at least this many entries */
{
register count_int i;
register unsigned short *hash_p;
register unsigned short zero = 0;
static int nfiles = 0;

if ( nfiles++ == 0 ) /* No clear needed if first time */
return;
n = (n+15) & (-16);
hash_p = hashcache + n;
for ( i = n; i > 0; i -=16 ) {
*(hash_p-16) = zero;
*(hash_p-15) = zero;
*(hash_p-14) = zero;
*(hash_p-13) = zero;
*(hash_p-12) = zero;
*(hash_p-11) = zero;
*(hash_p-10) = zero;
*(hash_p-9) = zero;
*(hash_p-8) = zero;
*(hash_p-7) = zero;
*(hash_p-6) = zero;
*(hash_p-5) = zero;
*(hash_p-4) = zero;
*(hash_p-3) = zero;
*(hash_p-2) = zero;
*(hash_p-1) = zero;
hash_p -= 16;
}
}

hogtally () /* compute character code hog */
{
register int i, most;

for ( i = most = 0; i < 256; i++ )
if ( cfreq [i] >= cfreq [most] )
most = i;
return ( most );
}

cl_hash(hsize)
register int hsize;
{
register count_int *htab_p = htab+hsize;
register int i;
register long m1 = -1;

/* clear hashcache */
#define min(a,b) ((a>b) ? b : a)
creset( min((count_int)hsize, MAX_CACHE) );

i = hsize - 16;
do {
*(htab_p-16) = m1;
*(htab_p-15) = m1;
*(htab_p-14) = m1;
*(htab_p-13) = m1;
*(htab_p-12) = m1;
*(htab_p-11) = m1;
*(htab_p-10) = m1;
*(htab_p-9) = m1;
*(htab_p-8) = m1;
*(htab_p-7) = m1;
*(htab_p-6) = m1;
*(htab_p-5) = m1;
*(htab_p-4) = m1;
*(htab_p-3) = m1;
*(htab_p-2) = m1;
*(htab_p-1) = m1;
htab_p -= 16;
} while ((i -= 16) >= 0);
for ( i += 16; i > 0; i-- )
*--htab_p = m1;
}
------ EOF ------
ls -l compress.c
cat >zmore.l <<'------ EOF ------'
.TH ZMORE 1
.SH NAME
zmore \- file perusal filter for crt viewing of compressed text
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B zmore
[ name ... ]
.SH DESCRIPTION
.I Zmore
is a filter which allows examination of compressed text files
one screenful at a time on a soft-copy terminal.
It normally pauses after each screenful, printing --More--
at the bottom of the screen.
If the user then types a carriage return, one more line is displayed.
If the user hits a space,
another screenful is displayed. Other possibilites are enumerated later.
.PP
.I Zmore
looks in the file
.I /etc/termcap
to determine terminal characteristics,
and to determine the default window size.
On a terminal capable of displaying 24 lines,
the default window size is 22 lines.
.PP
Other sequences which may be typed when
.I zmore
pauses, and their effects, are as follows (\fIi\fP is an optional integer
argument, defaulting to 1) :
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fP<space>
display
.I i
more lines, (or another screenful if no argument is given)
.PP
.IP ^D
display 11 more lines (a ``scroll'').
If
.I i
is given, then the scroll size is set to \fIi\|\fP.
.PP
.IP d
same as ^D (control-D)
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fPz
same as typing a space except that \fIi\|\fP, if present, becomes the new
window size. Note that the window size reverts back to the default at the
end of the current file.
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fPs
skip \fIi\|\fP lines and print a screenful of lines
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fPf
skip \fIi\fP screenfuls and print a screenful of lines
.PP
.IP "q or Q"
quit reading the current file; go on to the next (if any)
.PP
.IP e
When the prompt --More--(Next file:
.IR file )
is printed, this command causes zmore to exit.
.PP
.IP =
Display the current line number.
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fP/expr
search for the \fIi\|\fP-th occurrence of the regular expression \fIexpr.\fP
If the pattern is not found,
.I zmore
goes on to the next file (if any).
Otherwise, a screenful is displayed, starting two lines before the place
where the expression was found.
The user's erase and kill characters may be used to edit the regular
expression.
Erasing back past the first column cancels the search command.
.PP
.IP \fIi\|\fPn
search for the \fIi\|\fP-th occurrence of the last regular expression entered.
.PP
.IP !command
invoke a shell with \fIcommand\|\fP.
The character `!' in "command" are replaced with the
the previous shell command. The sequence "\\!" is replaced by "!".
.PP
.IP ":q or :Q"
quit reading the current file; go on to the next (if any)
(same as q or Q).
.PP
.IP .
(dot) repeat the previous command.
.PP
The commands take effect immediately, i.e., it is not necessary to
type a carriage return.
Up to the time when the command character itself is given,
the user may hit the line kill character to cancel the numerical
argument being formed.
In addition, the user may hit the erase character to redisplay the
--More-- message.
.PP
At any time when output is being sent to the terminal, the user can
hit the quit key (normally control\-\\).
.I Zmore
will stop sending output, and will display the usual --More--
prompt.
The user may then enter one of the above commands in the normal manner.
Unfortunately, some output is lost when this is done, due to the
fact that any characters waiting in the terminal's output queue
are flushed when the quit signal occurs.
.PP
The terminal is set to
.I noecho
mode by this program so that the output can be continuous.
What you type will thus not show on your terminal, except for the / and !
commands.
.PP
If the standard output is not a teletype, then
.I zmore
acts just like
.I zcat,
except that a header is printed before each file.
.SH FILES
.DT
/etc/termcap Terminal data base
.SH "SEE ALSO"
more(1), zcat(1), compress(1), uncompress(1)
------ EOF ------
ls -l zmore.l
cat >zmore <<'------ EOF ------'
FIRST=1