Macs in an NT World

Fred Mayfield

Feb 9, 2001, 1:34:41 PM2/9/01
My team is responsible for 20 Macs surrounded by a network of 13,000 Intel
computers. The network dweebs have decided that the infrastructure will be
pure IP. No Appletalk. They've fiber connected three Cisco switches and have
configured the ports on those switches that have Appletalk devices as a
VLAN. Net result is that all Appletalk traffic is limited to the VLAN and
ALL other routers/switches are configured to not pass Appletalk.

We now have a number of internal clients that need to connect their Macs to
the network for file sharing (primarily NT Servers w/Mac Services) and
printer connectivity who are nowhere close to one of these hardwired
switches. Network dweebs claim it'll cost $40-50K dollars to connect them
(purchase switch, configure, wire, etc). What options are available to
handle the advertisement of AppleTalk devices without AppleTalk being passed
through the Cisco switches.

--

mayfiel...@texas.net

Doug Stigall

Feb 9, 2001, 7:00:43 PM2/9/01
Why don't the MAC's run TCP/IP? I've set this up numerous times and it works
fine with Mac Services for NT. If I am missing something please respond..

--
Sincerely Yours,

Doug Stigall
Systems Analyst
Digital Machines Corporation
Houston, Texas 77082
Ph: 281-870-8649
Fax: 281-749-0686
email: Do...@Net-Fix.com

An Independent Consulting Group specializing in Enterprise Information
Networks.

"Fred Mayfield" <mayf...@texas.net> wrote in message

Vaughn

Feb 9, 2001, 10:19:09 PM2/9/01
So what's the problem? Macs run with IP just fine. I do it with about 15
macs in a NT network with NO problems at all. As long as printers are post
script and Mac Services are running and a Mac file has been created on the
shares all is well.

jsjones.@attglobal.net

Feb 11, 2001, 3:23:48 PM2/11/01
On the subject of NT Services for Macintosh, ours was set up by a long-since
departed sysadmin. Our current crop of MCSEs have no idea how to reconfigure
it to include new servers, access OpenVMS on a DEC, and get rid of an annoying
message about "access to AppleTalk network [being] interrupted". Are there
any good references on how to administer Services for Macintosh?

As for AppleTalk, I'd agree. There is no reason not to use TCP/IP on all Macs; it's
much faster. Apple has been trying to push people in this direction for about
10 years and essentially cuts the cord with OS X.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email

rpfi...@webspan.net

Feb 17, 2001, 10:26:26 PM2/17/01
How does the Mac OS support Netbios? I was told they need a third
party product called "Dave" in order to browse the LAN. I did
download it for our one Mac user and it worked.

Did I install something from a third party source when it was in the
OS all along?

Nico van Baren

Feb 18, 2001, 3:46:36 PM2/18/01
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:26:26 GMT, rpfi...@webspan.net wrote:

>How does the Mac OS support Netbios? I was told they need a third
>party product called "Dave" in order to browse the LAN. I did
>download it for our one Mac user and it worked.
>
>Did I install something from a third party source when it was in the
>OS all along?

Nope, NetBIOS support is NOT in the standard MacOS. DAVE contains
(among other things) an implementation of NetBIOS for the MacOS. So
the support for NetBIOS was added with your DAVE installation.

Nico