Submission for mod-protocols-tcp-ip

gor...@maccs.uucp.uucp

Apr 3, 1987, 10:48:51 PM4/3/87
From: gor...@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta)
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: TCP retransmission
Date: 4 Apr 87 03:48:50 GMT

Hello...

I'm currently writing some TCP-IP code (for a PDP-11 running RT-11), and am
looking to do retransmissions correctly.

From what I've read here, poor retransmission behavior is a major source
of congestion... although my code is intended for a very lightly loaded
Ethernet and I can get away with being sloppy, if there's a painless way to
do it right for the general case, it would be nice to put it in.

I understand the idea of exponential backoff, and know of the RTT-based
algorithm suggested in the RFC (which I believe is what BSD 4.2 uses (?))...
is this the proper algorithm to use, or is there a better one?

Thanks for any info...

--
UUCP: ... !seismo!mnetor!lsuc!maccs!gordan (note ..dAn or mail may bounce)
BITNET: GP@TANDEM ^ <---'

mh...@oce.nl.uucp

Apr 8, 1987, 6:02:25 AM4/8/87
From: mh...@oce.nl (Maarten Schoonwater)
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.sys.m68k,mod.computers.68k
Subject: TCP-IP for 68000 VERSAdos system
Date: 8 Apr 87 10:02:23 GMT

We have several 68000 based systems that we need to interface with an
Ethernet using TCP-IP protocols. The systems run under the Motorola
VERSAdos operating system on a VME-bus. Till now we only found Unix based
TCP-IP implementations. Support for ftp and perhaps telnet would be
sufficient. Does anyone know of possible solutions??

Maarten Schoonwater Usenet: mh...@oce.nl
Oce-Nederland B.V. mail : P.O. 101 5900MA Venlo
R&D department The Netherlands

ha...@umn-cs.uucp.uucp

Apr 11, 1987, 12:52:12 AM4/11/87
From: ha...@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque)
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: TCP on an HP 3000
Date: 11 Apr 87 04:52:09 GMT

In article <59...@dartvax.UUCP>, richb...@dartvax.UUCP (Richard E. Brown) writes:

> I wasn't paying much attention a couple of months ago, but I seem
> to remember that someone said that there was an implementation of
> TCP on HP3000 computers.

Speaking of HP's..

We have HP 9000/200 and /300 machines. While the /300 have full
networking (psuedo BSD), the /200 machines do not have any networking
hardware available for them. (according to our HP rep) We are running
HP/UX on them.

Am I wrong in assuming that there really is no future for networking
the /200 machines or that they might become very expensive to have
networking on ?

Samudra E. Haque
Computer Science Systems Group
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455

ha...@umn-cs.arpa or ..!dayton!umn-cs!haque
or (612) 625-0876

tai%h...@hplabs.hp.com.uucp

Apr 11, 1987, 9:45:51 PM4/11/87
|Speaking of HP's..
|
|We have HP 9000/200 and /300 machines. While the /300 have full
|networking (psuedo BSD), the /200 machines do not have any networking
|hardware available for them. (according to our HP rep) We are running
|HP/UX on them.
|
|Am I wrong in assuming that there really is no future for networking
|the /200 machines or that they might become very expensive to have
|networking on ?
|
| Samudra E. Haque

The 9000/200 is virtually identical to the 9000/300 series. That is,
they can run the same software (kernel is different though) and use the
same networking hardware. However, the 200 is no longer supported; the
5.17 release of HP-UX is the last release which works for the 200 series.

On the other hand, I've built a 5.17 kernel with the latest networking code
(5.3) for use with the 200 series.

..tai

dae...@decwrl.dec.com.uucp

Apr 13, 1987, 2:29:51 AM4/13/87
From: mobb...@tpov02.dec.com (Mobby Lin, Taiwan Software Services)
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: What's vendor support TCP-IP
Date: 13 Apr 87 06:29:50 GMT
Sender: dae...@decwrl.DEC.COM

hi everyone,

I am more interested in TCP/IP. Does someone know what's third party software
and its hardware can support the tcp/ip and what's model and how to contact
those products can ported into Wang, Tandem, IBM and NEC.

Now I am planning to connect VAX to Wang, Tandem, IBM and NEC, based on X25
on layer 1, 2, 3 and layer 4,5 used on tcp/ip.

my address at
mobbylin%22599....@decwrl.arpa
Software Services, Taiwan Digital Equipment.

regards,
Mobby Lin