Delphi Mac Digest V3 #20

SHU...@slb-test.csnet.uucp

Apr 6, 1987, 9:41:00 AM4/6/87
Delphi Mac Digest Monday, April 6, 1987 Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
RE: stuck interrupt switches
Stepping Out
re: Reset, keyboards on new machines
ABATON SCANNER (3 messages)
RE: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes
FullWrite
APPLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and
Mac Clones
Large Font
Cassette Labels on the LW
FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS (2 messages)
GCC FX/40 warranty extended
Dictionary (3 messages)
Bi-Directional Printing
Wierd Problems ...
RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (2 messages)
macsbug on Mac SE
Custom Print Dialogs (3 messages)
DF problems
Databases & Map Making (4 messages)
re Sample WriteNow
re Word 3.0 Bug (?)
re Resedit PICT question.
International Symbols (2 messages)
Re: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2
RE: Multi-button mice

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: stuck interrupt switches
Date: 29-MAR 11:53 Network Digests

To the people with stuck interrupt switches. (soory it scrolled off).
There are older versions of the interrupt switch that will not work
properly on a Mac +. Often these switches will work if installed UPSIDE
DOWN. This especially applies to Macintosh pluses that were origionally
older models, and had the logic board upgrade. The new board seems to
fit slightly differently.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Stepping Out (Re: Msg 18594)
Date: 29-MAR 20:22 Network Digests

>Date: 27 Mar 87 13:51:00 EST
>From: bou...@ceee-sed.arpa
>Subject: Stepping Out

>I just saw my first demo of "Stepping Out" the virtual screen product from
>BMUG. This is a nice product. It allows you to install a large virtual screen
>and lets the Mac physical screen act as a window into the virtual space.

Much as we like BMUG, Stepping Out is not from there, it's from a
company with a similar name, Berkeley System Design.

peter "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: re: Reset, keyboards on new machines (Re: Msg 18594)
Date: 30-MAR 09:27 Network Digests

To: pw0g#@andrew.cmu.edu (the bear) Subject: Reset, keyboards on new
machines

The Mac SE has a programmer's switch essentially the same as the Mac
Plus's, but with bigger buttons. (It has special matching notches in
the case and the switch, so it has to go on one particular place.)

See the April 87 issue of "Byte" for a description, in the IIgs review,
of exchanging keycaps on the IIgs keyboard. The new Mac keyboards may
be similar; I don't know.

MacKeymeleon is one program for changing the keymap (in software).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: UHA
Subject: ABATON SCANNER
Date: 30-MAR 16:37 Hardware & Peripherals

I HAVE AN ABATON SCANNER AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTY DOWNLOADING A GRAPHIC
THROUGH MACPAINT TO PAGEMAKER. THE FINAL GRAPHIC IS EITHER TOO LARGE OR
TOO SMALL -- ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I NEED TO ACQUIRE A COPY OF FEDIT 3.1 IN ORDER TO MODIFY THE EXISTING
FINDER ICONS AND CREATE NEW ONES. WHERE CAN I ACQUIRE THIS -- HELP.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST DEPARTMENT - I HAVE BEEN AN APPLE PRODUCTS FANCIER
SINCE THE LATE 70'S AND HAVE MANY II PROGRAMS. ONE IN PARTICULAR HAS
JUST GONE PUBLIC DOMAIN. IT IS "FIRE ORGAN" AND IT'S ASSOCIATED
PROGRAMMING PACKAGE. I WOULD LOVE TO PLA CE THIS IN THE DELPHI SYSTEM
-- THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO CONVERT IT TO A MAC 68000 CONFIGURATION. IF
ANYONE CAN HELP BY RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE OR JUST A TRIED AND TRUE METHOD
-- I'M LISTENING.

THAT ABOUT DOES IT FOR NOW AND THANKS

UHA

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: ABATON SCANNER (Re: Msg 18618)
Date: 30-MAR 19:55 Hardware & Peripherals

Fedit Plus is a commercial product from John Mitchell, available through
ComputerWare and other good dealers and mail order suppliers.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 31-MAR 21:50 Hardware & Peripherals

What do you mean, "too large or too small?" I've always found that
putting real big images into PageMaker, then reducing them, gives the
best results. I'm not familiar with the Abaton, but I do know that
MacPaint is limited to 72 dots per inch, and an image size of a single
page.

If you're planning on converting something from 6502 to 68000, good
luck. I'd suggest doing something more productive. You'd probably be
better off rewriting it anyway; few people can stomach Mac programs that
use a text-based interface (as I assume an Apple II program does).

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 30-MAR 21:34 Network Digests

>Date: Sun, 29 Mar 87 12:38:03 EST
>From: JURGEN%UMASS....@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes (Flame)

>Who was the bright guy who decided that terminal emulators should use the
>command key to send control characters...?

>Why do I say that it is nonsensical to use the command key as a control key
>equivalent..? Well, the logic is simple... the COMMAND key is defined to
>be the key which you use to invoke COMMANDS! Such as menu equivalents, Cut
>& Paste, macros, etc. The OPTION key is the key with which you generate
>OPTIONAL characters, i.e. characters that are not part of the set of
>characters printed on the top of your key-caps. Such as... accent marks,
>bullets, and... CONTROL CHARACTERS!!!!

There's a serious difficulty with using option for this purpose: the
dead keys it produces for accenting. Although it's possible to turn off
the dead key processing, Apple won't sanction the method for doing that,
meaning your program will break someday. Thus, the assignment of which
alternate codes get produced with the option key is not arbitary.

I think the only reasonable solution is to let the user decide which key
to use (and thus his choice of which shortcoming of the system to live
with). Red Ryder does this.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: FullWrite (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 31-MAR 21:50 Network Digests

If Ann Arbor can deliver, FullWrite will be a fantastic program. They're
biting off an awful lot, however. I'm not too fond of the company --
first they put out a copy perverted paint program, then they take out an
ad putting down a competitor's product (deservedly so, but that's beside
the point). And when a rep came to our user group, he claimed that 1)
FullPaint had no bugs; 2) FullWrite will be released in a bug-free
state. Right.

For the time being, I'm sticking to WriteNow, which I consider the best
WP on the market.

------------------------------

From: BBAKER
Subject: APPLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Date: 31-MAR 23:12 Mousing Around

I wanted to respond to Patrick Kuras's "Replies to a few postings from
number 70," in which he describes the way Apple has set up its "Customer
Support" program. I will acknowledge that what he says about how the
system is * supposed* to work seems quite logical, but the reality of
the matter is that if you have a crummy Apple dealer (and I think I do),
the system fails completely.

Case in point: For months now, I have been trying to get an upgraded
version of the guided tour for MacDraw--one that will run on a Mac Plus
without bombing. Purpose: to provide some in-service for our
instructional faculty who would like to use our Media Center's Mac for
producing spiffy transparencies on the LaserWriter Plus. Seems easy
enough. . . . But wait, I have an *authorized Apple dealer*, who after
a month and a half--Applelink and all--was unable to get me an upgraded
tour; this after repeated pleading telephone calls (the faculty pressure
is building). So I finally ask for the Apple telephone number, since my
authorized dealer indicates that it is *Apple* who has dropped the ball.
The "Customer Support" telephone recording in Cupertino (after several
minutes of Windham Hill music--typical style over substance) summarily
announces that "all the staff are in a meeting now, planning ways to
serve you better." I try the main corporate number--still on my nickel,
of course--and keep getting shunted from one exasperating know-nothing
secretary ("Are you sure you don't want the 'Software Sampler?'") to
another. Tick, tick, tick.

I finally reached someone who understood what it was I was looking for,
and who indicated that if I would just get a special "upgrade" form from
my authorized Apple dealer and mail it in, they would be happy to
upgrade my guided tour. Gimme a break, lady. If my authorized Apple
dealer had been able to help me . . . etc., etc. Of course, given the
amount of time and expense I'd gone to, Apple could have been kind
enough to simply say "Hey, we're sorry about whatever went wrong in the
system--we'll have that Guided Tour in the mail today." But no-- she
gets her way and mails me a card, and I mail in my original Guided Tour
disk and cassette recording. (Another two weeks). Some four or five
weeks ago, a package arrived from Apple, containing my upgraded Guided
Tour, but no cassette tape. More telephone calls to Cupertino. Windham
Hill music. "We're sorry, sir, that item is on backorder."

Okay, so I started this whole thing on the 4th of January, A.D. 1987,
and here we are at the beginning of April, and I still don't have a
working Guided Tour. And I am fed to the gills, and so angry with Apple
Computer that I don't even have the ability to write to complain to
them. I guess I'm beginning to understand how IBM made it on their
reputation for customer support.
-- Bob

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 1-APR-14:08: Network Digests

To: Peter Gergely <GER...@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and Copy II Mac

I just tried copying a disk with System 4.0 and Finder 5.4 on a Mac Plus
with 2.5MB, 1MB of cache, and 85,000 system heap bytes. It seemed to go
fine until the last two tracks, where I got "W" write errors. I took
the new disk and ran it through Disk First Aid and a Finder
initialization with no problems. Do you have non-standard INITs in your
System folder? Did you run the System 4.0 boot blocks program?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: SHIHTUNG
Subject: Mac Clones
Date: 1-APR-20:25: Hardware & Peripherals

April's MacUser alluded to some cheap Mac Clones coming out. Does
anyone know much of these (rumored) machines ? These don't include the
Magic Sac emulator for the Atari ST.
Some Mac Clones could be very good for the market. Both as consumers
and user interface evangelists. Assuming that they are legal, of
course.

------------------------------

From: SWABBY
Subject: Large Font
Date: 1-APR-21:46: Creative Pursuits

I'm looking for a medium to large (say 48 point) font that I can use on
an imagewriter to print name tags. Something fancy along the lines of
Venice-14 (but larger) would be ideal. The extra large 72 points
available are a little too big. Does anyone have any suggestions?

swabby

------------------------------

From: SWEET
Subject: Cassette Labels on the LW
Date: 1-APR-21:56: Business Mac

Help!
I just bought a laserwriter and I would like to print cassette
labels with it. However I have 2 different brands/sheets of label stock
and they both have aligned one side of the cassette label directly on
the edge of the paper. The laser needs abou t a 1/2 inch margin all of
the way around the paper. Otherwise the labels look GREAT! Does any one
know of a supplier of cassette labels that will work with the laser?
Thanks all .....Chuck "Sweet"

------------------------------

From: MRCUTTERMAN
Subject: FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS
Date: 1-APR-23:28: Bugs & Features

I WOULD LIKE TO CORRESPOND WITH ANYONE WHO IS USING FILEMAKER+ AND HAS
EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH MEMORY/ERROR MESSAGES. I AM USINF A 512K MAC
"NOT ENHANCED". FOR SOME REASON I AM GETTING MANY MEMORY/ERROR MESSAGES
THAT SAY THAT THE DISK IS FULL (WHEN IT'S NOT) OR THAT THE PROGRAM IS
HAVING TROUBLE FINDING MEMORY BLOCKS TO STORE OR RETREVE DATA. MY FILES
ARE NOT THAT LARGE AND THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON (IN MY OPINION ) FOR
THIS TO BE HAPPENING. ANY IDEAS???

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS (Re: Msg 18684)
Date: 1-APR-23:39: Bugs & Features

I'm having no problem with filemaker+ on a 512K enhanced, so I would
guess it is either a compatibility problem with the OLD rom or with the
old system software. Personally, I'd upgrade ASAP. There are lots of
good reasons to, and few (none, actually) not to.

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: GCC FX/40 warranty extended
Date: 2-APR-17:43: Hardware & Peripherals

General Computer Corp. is shipping, or just about to ship, the FX/40
external HyperDrive. It will now come with a one-year warranty, like
the FX/20. We should have an evaluation unit shortly.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: VARIPAPA
Subject: Dictionary
Date: 2-APR-23:06: Business Mac

My secretaries are thinking about typing about 20,000 medical words into
a text file and a Word 3.0 dictionary. My question is 1) are there any
legal barriers or problems to consider and 2) What would the general
interest be. Any help appreciated. Plan would be to offer it as
shareware or low-cost....Bob V.

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Dictionary (Re: Msg 18724)
Date: 3-APR-22:26: Business Mac

It isn't so clearcut -- IF they could show a 1:1 correspondence between
their copyrighted work and your published dictionary (all your words are
their words, and you don't have a significant number of words that
aren't theirs) then they can, if not for copyright, get you for
something else, such as appropriation of proprietary information. After
all, THEY did all the reasearch, and incurred all the costs, and you're
making the mooney, and keeping them from doing the same market
themselves.

There is an old writer's saying: if you steal from 2 sources, it is
plagiarism, if you steal from 6 it is research. If you're going to do a
project such as this, you shouldn't take a source and copy it. Use it
(and other sources) as a base, and make it what you want it to be.

chuq

------------------------------

From: VARIPAPA
Subject: RE: Dictionary (Re: Msg 18729)
Date: 3-APR-23:52: Business Mac

Thanks for the interchange guys. The girls were going to get the words
from several sources - the catch 22 is that everything is "published",
especially in medicine. If the words were from a variety of sources -
eg: several dictionarys , textbooks, as well as journal articles, it
would be hard for one publisher to claim that the words were taken
SOLELY from one (theirs) source. The one problem would be if someone
wanted to sue you, it would certainly be easy to get intimidated or
broke (monetarily). The girls wanted to do it to try and make a few
bucks so I will let them decide for themselves.....Bob V. (I wonder how
Spellswell, etc. got their words??? Anyone for scrapple...)

------------------------------

From: FREDDYO
Subject: Bi-Directional Printing
Date: 3-APR-04:37: Business Mac

Has anyone figured out how to force Bi-Directional Printing with Word
3.0?

Thanks.

Frederick

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Wierd Problems ... (Re: Msg 18693)
Date: 3-APR-08:50: Network Digests

To: JOHNC%CAD2....@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Wierd Problems ...

I have a feeling that the problems will disappear if the HyperDrive,
clip and all, is removed...

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (Re: Msg 18608)
Date: 3-APR-10:39: Bugs & Features

I have discovered a new "feature" of Word 3. It seems that a style
sheet which specifies the "bold" attribute, doesn't mean that applying
that style will give you bold text. Noooooooo. It means "flip the bold
bit." Yep, if the text you're applying the style to is already bold, it
turns plain.

Maybe I don't understand the program well enough. Maybe I don't
understand the *programmer* well enough.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (Re: Msg 18720)
Date: 3-APR-20:09: Bugs & Features

All character attributes are flippable in this manner. Also "Plain
Text" is the font AND the format of the paragraph style. It should be
documented better.

------------------------------

From: METASOFTWARE
Subject: macsbug on Mac SE
Date: 3-APR-18:06: Tools for Developers

does anyone understand why Macsbug does not respond when the programmers
switch is depressed on the Mac SE? All I get is the internal Mac
debugger. i'm sure Macsbug has been loaded since i get the message in
the generic startup screen, and the boot blocks has the same filename as
Macsbug. i'm using Macsbug 5.1B.3 . anyone got any ideas?

------------------------------

From: METASOFTWARE
Subject: Custom Print Dialogs
Date: 3-APR-18:07: Programming Techniques

i've been deciphering tech note 95 regarding modification of the print
setup and print dialogs. there are 2 routines mentioned in the test
program provided which i cannot find in either lightspeed c or manx:
PrJobInit() & PrDlgMain() i understand the function of these
routines, but my compilers will not recognize them. do i need to trace
thru PrStlDialog & PrJobDialog to find their addresses (do-able but not
portable), or is there an easier way to find out?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Custom Print Dialogs (Re: Msg 1385)
Date: 4-APR-03:57: Programming Techniques

pascal TPPrDlg MyJobInit(THPrint hPrint);
pascal void MyJobItems(TPPrDlg dialog, word item);
pascal TPPrDlg PrJobInit(...); /* undocumented Q gets standard print
job dialog */
pascal Boolean PrDlgMain(...); /* undocumented Q print manager's dialog
handler */

Both Aztec and Lightspeed C's libraries have these functions.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Date: 4-APR-10:20: Programming Techniques

Be sure to follow the guidlines of IM and TN95 to the letter. A lot of
the problems with the latest Microsoft Word are from their failure to do
so.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: DF problems
Date: 4-APR-19:03: Hardware & Peripherals

I don't know much about this, but I promised to ask:

Friend is having problems running a DF 20 (new) on a Mac512K that has
stuff in it from Human touc and Novy...running 68020. He is using the
newest Apple System and Finder.

Any hints?

Alf the Non-Hardware Hacker

------------------------------

From: TRAINBRAIN
Subject: Databases & Map Making
Date: 4-APR-21:20: Business Mac

Do you, or anyone else reading this, know of:

1. A data base manager that can include icons and other symbols in the
data base?

2. A program that can use the information in the data base to make a
chart of a geographic region? The features displayed on the chart
would, of course, be defined in the data base.

The application is a moving background display for the instructor in a
flight simulator. I vaguely recall the state of Arizona doing something
like this for airport maps with Filevision.

Thanks,

Steve Seidensticker

------------------------------

From: LIPP
Subject: RE: Databases & Map Making (Re: Msg 18754)
Date: 5-APR-06:28: Business Mac

at the hannover fair in western germany apple presented a beta release
of 4th dimension. they showed a demo application with maps, icons and
all the other stuff you wanted.

consider 4tzh dimension to solve your problems

regards t.lipp

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Date: 5-APR-10:03: Business Mac

Business Filevision is a more powerful version of Filevision, and should
be able to do your job.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 5-APR-13:25: Business Mac

Filevision was exactly what I thought of when I started reading your
question. The Arizona airport thing was a project which won a prize in a
contest sponsored by Telos. This was in the first release of
Filevision, and since then Business Filevision has come out and is
supposedly a lot more flexible.

You might consider using Guide (hypertext), since it allows you to put
notations into a graphical database. It doesn't however make the
creation and maintenance of the database any easier as far as I can
determine, since it does not have an underpinning of a conventional
database like Filevision has.

Owl International will be in CO with us next Sunday (April 12) so you
could drop in and ask them about thta (or send me mail with a prepared
question and I will ask it for you).

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Sample WriteNow (Re: Msg 18739)
Date: 5-APR-03:21: Network Digests

> From: Jonathan K. Millen <j...@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
> Subject: Sample WriteNow

Did you try that 11-point Times with or without the printer spacing
option (in page setup)?

I get footnotes not to expand line spacing by making them very small.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Word 3.0 Bug (?) (Re: Msg 18741)
Date: 5-APR-03:21: Network Digests

>From: d...@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson)
>Subject: Word 3.0 Bug (?)

Not only do MacWrite and Word 1.05 read Acta's MacWrite files, but so do
PageMaker and the WriteNow translator...so I think your identification
of the bug's location is correct. I haven't seen the Word crash, but
then I don't have a copy of Word 3. I do think Word is having problems
with Acta topics that include RETURNs (but note that at least 4 other
programs have no problems).

Acta creates minimal MacWrite documents (it doesn't calculate the height
of each line and paragraph, but sets a flag so MacWrite will, when the
document is opened).

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Resedit PICT question. (Re: Msg 18742)
Date: 5-APR-03:22: Network Digests

> From: eck...@lll-lcc.aRpA (Philip D. Eckert)
> Subject: Resedit PICT question.

Just select the PICT while in ResEdit, Copy it, and paste it into Acta
or a Scrapbook DA.

David Dunham "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: JDSCHNITZER
Subject: International Symbols
Date: 5-APR-09:20: Business Mac

Can someone give me a pointer to a set of international symbols (such as
"fragile" or "no smoking", rather than "umlaut"). I'm looking for a
large set and at this point either a font (laserwriter preferred) or
clip-art will do. I know I've seen it somewhere, but I don't remember
where.

/Jeff

------------------------------

From: FRIED
Subject: RE: International Symbols (Re: Msg 18761)
Date: 5-APR-13:46: Business Mac

Mac the Knife (the original, probably called volume 1) has what you
want, I think.

Bob

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Re: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2 (Re: Msg 18739)
Date: 5-APR-09:30: Network Digests

To: j...@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2

Thanks for the informative comparison of the new systems. It had a
number of answers to questions I was very curious about and hadn't seen
answers to.

A couple of other items came to mind, which were not mentioned. What
about library/toolbox support? Is there any equivalent to the Mac
Toolbox in the IBM side? (I suppose Windows is it). Are there some
other issues lingering, with respect to development environments? It
seems that the Mac world has endured a long startup period, in which
some remarkable development tools have evolved. Is there anything
similar in the PC world, or is that down the road? Finally, what about
standards? We've talked about bus and processor and os standards, but
what about things such as PICT, PostScript, character sets, and
networking support??? (Does the new PC support Ethernet?)

Ric Ford "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Multi-button mice (Re: Msg 18745)
Date: 5-APR-09:59: Hardware & Peripherals

I used to be adamant about the idea that a mouse should only have one
button, but I find naive Mac users have more trouble, conceptually and
manually, with the single/double click and the click vs. drag, than they
do with most of the Mac interface. Splitting objects (selection) and
actions (dragging/ opening/other) into two separate buttons would
probably make the user interface clearer and more consistent to new
users as well as old.

Ric Ford

End of Delphi Mac Digest