mod_spdy installed on apache. Stopped working with Chrome ver 40 but continues to work with Firefox.

Sujan Narvekar

Feb 10, 2015, 8:09:15 AM2/10/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I suddenly noticed that the "x-mod-spdy" headers are not appearing in my response on Chrome (ver 40.xxxx) but continue to appear on Firefox.

I am using SPDY indicator to verify usage of SPDY and that too confirms that SPDY is not getting used on Chrome.

Is there anything that has changed on the latest versions of Chrome ?

The flag turns blue (for HTTP/2) for all Google sites.

Can anyone confirm ?

Regards,
Sujan

Sujan Narvekar

Feb 10, 2015, 8:14:37 AM2/10/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Spdy_Chrome.JPG
Spdy_Firefox.JPG

bk chung

Feb 11, 2015, 3:08:24 PM2/11/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Noticed the same thing. The NPN negotiation(SSL_get0_next_proto_negotiated) results in "http/1.1" rather than "spdy/3" while trying to connect to my box with mod_spdy with chrome 40. Tried google.com with both chrome40 and firfox35 and they now seem to be doing "h2-14" instead of "spdy/3.1". Not sure how apache can keep up to date...

Thanks,
bk

bk chung

Feb 11, 2015, 3:18:31 PM2/11/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Looks like this might have kicked into the new chrome build: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=431299. The item is to drop SPDY/3(and 2), and only support 3.1.

Thanks,
bk

Sujan Narvekar

Feb 12, 2015, 1:00:19 AM2/12/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks bk.

Any idea if we can implement SPDY 3.1 through mod_spdy module for Apache ?

The basic assumption all this while was SPDY will always work on all versions of Chrome.

Regards,
Sujan

realslow

Feb 12, 2015, 4:22:51 AM2/12/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
you can implement spdy/3.1.

check this git =>> https://github.com/eousphoros/mod-spdy

branch apache-2.4.10 support spdy 3.1

2015년 2월 12일 목요일 오후 3시 0분 19초 UTC+9, Sujan Narvekar 님의 말:

bk chung

Feb 12, 2015, 2:31:10 PM2/12/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
realslow,
That version is branched from an older build of mod_spdy. Also, unlike what it says, it does not support 3.1. See: https://github.com/eousphoros/mod-spdy/commit/3068e15d02e48fb5efe1ab8fa53f7ddf0a380b58.

Sujan,
It seems like mod_spdy is currently in a bad state where either google nor apache is maintaining it after google donated it to the asf. Dropping spdy support says early 2016 in the article but that doesn't stop google from dropping support for older spdy versions. After all, the spdy specification is a draft suggested by google, not much endorsed by any standard body, which is now incorporated into http2(looks like Mike who wrote the spdy spec is working on http2: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-17).

The better workaround would be to grab the trunk and build yourself. The trunk has 3.1 enabled, although I do not know how stable it is(probably less likely).

Thanks,
bk

Jim Jagielski

Feb 12, 2015, 2:42:50 PM2/12/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there is no discussion being done on the d...@httpd.apache.org list, where it should be; instead it's being done here.

Sujan Narvekar

Mar 11, 2015, 8:01:42 AM3/11/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Really Sad.

My firefox upgraded today to ver 36 and I noticed that  SPDY 3.0 is not supported. This is sad

Matthew Steele

Mar 11, 2015, 11:22:29 AM3/11/15
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Still alpha, but it looks like there is an HTTP/2 module now: http://icing.github.io/mod_h2/