Mockito Travis build issue - ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed

Szczepan Faber

Apr 6, 2017, 1:04:03 AM4/6/17
to sup...@travis-ci.com, mocki...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys!

I absolutely love Travis CI, thank you very much for sharing. We're using it to drive continuous delivery of Mockito project which has probably ~2M users :)

THANKS!

In Mockito we have a problem with building on Java6, we're getting this exception when Gradle build tries to download a resource from HTTP. The resource exists and can be downloaded normally:

Could not GET 'https://plugins.gradle.org/m2/gradle/plugin/org/mockito/mockito-release-tools/0.4.0/mockito-release-tools-0.4.0.pom'.

               > sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Here's the full build log.

Is there a hope we can get the build to work on Java6? I will take any tips you can give me!

Cheers!

Szczepan Faber

Apr 9, 2017, 12:52:23 AM4/9/17
to Buck Doyle, mocki...@googlegroups.com
Hey Buck!

We stopped building on Java6 to resolve the issue :)

Let's move on. The time spent on investigating may not be worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to look at the issue and the suggestions!

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Buck Doyle <sup...@travis-ci.com> wrote:
Hello, Szczepan! Thanks for writing in about this, I‘m glad to hear that Travis CI plays a part in releasing something that so many people work with.

I’m not that familiar with Java dependency management in the modern era, as I’m primarily in Javascript/Elixir spaces now. But I found this thread showing a similar error, though the root of that was the project maintainer’s use of a Let’s Encrypt certificate, which isn’t the case for plugins.gradle.org. However, the comments suggesting that things work with newer versions of Java and that being also true in your case make me wonder whether something similar is applicable here.

Similarly, in this Travis-specific thread, people are having more success on Java 7 and newer.

Can you let me know some things:

  • are you able to get the dependencies loaded locally when running Java 6?
  • is it possible to have Gradle use HTTP-only dependencies, as suggested here?
It would seem an unfortunate compromise to use HTTP-only dependencies, but knowing whether it works would help get us closer to understanding the problem.

How would you rate my reply?
Great    Okay    Not Good

--
Buck Doyle
Travis Builder

Visit https://www.traviscistatus.com/ for service status and uptime details

Travis CI GmbH, Rigaer Str.8, 10247 Berlin, Germany | GF/CEO: Mathias Meyer, Joshua Kalderimis | Contact: con...@travis-ci.org | Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin, HRB 140133 B | Umsatzsteuer-ID gemäß §27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE282002648

{#HS:345536156-51956#}