Mochiweb used in the wild

William Merfalen

May 11, 2017, 8:21:27 PM5/11/17
to MochiWeb
Is Mochiweb (or hell, even Erlang) used in the industry much? I think I recall a coworker saying Facebook uses Erlang.

Jon Watte

May 11, 2017, 11:05:23 PM5/11/17
to moch...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Erlang is used in industry.

For example, we run a cluster that serves the real-time invalidation and message streams for hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users at IMVU. (As in, when any data that you're currently looking at gets invalidated, that message goes across our Erlang cluster to your phone / browser that knows how to re-fetch it if needed.)

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM, William Merfalen <wmer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is Mochiweb (or hell, even Erlang) used in the industry much? I think I recall a coworker saying Facebook uses Erlang.

Bob Ippolito

May 11, 2017, 11:29:29 PM5/11/17
to moch...@googlegroups.com
Facebook doesn't use Erlang much directly, but WhatsApp uses it a whole lot. There was a short period of time ages ago where the original version of Facebook Messenger used it, but they rewrote it in C++ because that was what they had more expertise with.

Most people are not using mochiweb these days, it's in maintenance mode. I would recommend using cowboy for newer projects.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM, William Merfalen <wmer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is Mochiweb (or hell, even Erlang) used in the industry much? I think I recall a coworker saying Facebook uses Erlang.

William Merfalen

May 14, 2017, 6:37:37 PM5/14/17
to MochiWeb
So Bob, I can't help to notice that you authored some mochiweb erl files :P