Does the BSD license need to be mentioned?

Toshio Kuratomi

Dec 3, 2010, 3:45:37 PM12/3/10
to moch...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, I was working on MochiKit for Fedora and someone pointed out this
bit of licensing:
https://github.com/mochi/mochikit/blob/master/MochiKit/Style.js#L165
/*
* getElementPosition is adapted from YAHOO.util.Dom.getXY v0.9.0.
* Copyright: Copyright (c) 2006, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
* License: BSD, http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
* */

BSD is compatible with MIT (I haven't checked AFL but we can package under
BSD-MIT only if that's an issue) so the issue that was pointed out isn't
license compatibility. It's being sure that we comply with the terms of
the License. The license text from the yahoo URL says:
"""
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the
following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
"""

I think that means that LICENSE.txt needs to include the Yahoo BSD license
and copyright terms for that function. I'm not sure if the license
information should also be included verbatim in the Style.js file.

I'll attach a patch to modify LICENSE.txt.

-Toshio

tgmochikit-license.patch

Per Cederberg

Dec 4, 2010, 6:33:19 AM12/4/10
to Toshio Kuratomi, moch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback!

I've updated the license text in the MochiKit repository with your patch:

http://github.com/mochi/mochikit/commit/60ac9815cb6a4d63a90936777ea7dc836caf7e94

We'll use the updated license for the 1.5 release (whenever that'll
be), but there are no current plans for patching the 1.4.x release
further (unless critical bugs are discovered). Feel free to apply you
patch to the version packaged in Fedora.

Cheers,

/Per

Toshio Kuratomi

Dec 4, 2010, 11:30:40 AM12/4/10
to Per Cederberg, moch...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 12:33:19PM +0100, Per Cederberg wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> I've updated the license text in the MochiKit repository with your patch:
>
> http://github.com/mochi/mochikit/commit/60ac9815cb6a4d63a90936777ea7dc836caf7e94
>
> We'll use the updated license for the 1.5 release (whenever that'll
> be), but there are no current plans for patching the 1.4.x release
> further (unless critical bugs are discovered). Feel free to apply you
> patch to the version packaged in Fedora.

Thank you much!

-Toshio