Server side Javascript logging

Jesper

Jan 13, 2009, 8:43:55 AM1/13/09
to MochiKit
Hi MochiKit people,

I am a happy MochiKit and Javascript amateur using MochiKit for my
personal marine weather forecast site:

http://www.worldwildweather.com

(I am still struggling with a few Javascript issues so please do not
kill me if it does not work)

During the real world testing of my web site my users have encountered
some Javascript errors. To facilitate debugging and to build a more
robust application I would like to log Javascript errors and info
(using MochiKit.Logging) and send it back to my server for analysis.

Has anyone got an example showing how this is done or maybe just some
pointers to get me started.

Best regards,
Jesper

niek.ko...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2009, 5:15:25 AM1/14/09
to MochiKit
Ajax.

Catch the JavaScript errors with a try-catch construction, and send
the catched error to a "logging" URL on your server, like:

http://www.worldwildweather.com/log.php?message=<catched error
message>

Niek

Jesper

Jan 15, 2009, 3:32:29 AM1/15/09
to MochiKit
Hi Niek,

On Jan 14, 11:15 am, "niek.kouwenb...@gmail.com"
<niek.kouwenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Catch the JavaScript errors with a try-catch construction, and send
> the catched error to a "logging" URL on your server, like:
>
> http://www.worldwildweather.com/log.php?message=<catched error
> message>

Thanks, I will definitely do that. I guess that I can use the MochiKit
logging method:

var msg = logger.getMessageText();

to send the get all logged information (although I might need to
either put a limit on the size of the message or use a post request).

I would definitely also want to catch unanticipated errors. Would you
do that by putting the entire onload method in a try-catch
construction where the error is reraised (since I would of course not
just cause my users browsers to silently ignore an error) after
sending a log to my server:

window.onload = function() {
try {
} catch(error) {
var msg = logger.getMessageText();
sendToMyServer(msg);
throw error;
};
};

Or do you have a better approach?

Best regards,
Jesper

niek.ko...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2009, 3:48:28 AM1/15/09
to MochiKit
First - I would always use POST for this.

If you catch error, shouldn't you use the message of "error"? Not
anything you've logged...

Re-trowing the error is a good idea, nothing changes for the end user.

troels knak-nielsen

Jan 15, 2009, 4:18:44 AM1/15/09
to niek.ko...@gmail.com, MochiKit
You can try hooking a handler up to window.onerror although this chart
suggests that it may only work on certain browsers:

http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/events/index.html

Maybe there are some browser-specific alternatives for those that
don't support this.

--
troels

Jesper

Jan 15, 2009, 4:55:40 AM1/15/09
to MochiKit
Hi again,

On Jan 15, 9:48 am, "niek.kouwenb...@gmail.com"
<niek.kouwenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First - I would always use POST for this.

I agree. From the documentation it seems like I can use:

MochiKit.Async.doXHR(...)

for this.

> If you catch error, shouldn't you use the message of "error"? Not
> anything you've logged...

Yes, I forgot to include that (but I would also like to transmit
available logging information for easier debugging).

Dumitru Glavan

May 26, 2013, 12:20:29 PM5/26/13
to moch...@googlegroups.com
You might try JSlogger - we built it exactly for the same reason. We have a couple of single page apps in production with heavy Javascript and we have to log all the exceptions out there. It supports mobile devices as well and backend logging through NodeJS. So far, we are happy with it. Worth to give it a try.

Troels Knak-Nielsen

May 26, 2013, 1:34:44 PM5/26/13
to Dumitru Glavan, MochiKit
Really? This thread is more than 4 years old. I'm sure jslogger is a fine product, but this is just border line of spam.

Dumitru Glavan

May 26, 2013, 4:27:08 PM5/26/13
to moch...@googlegroups.com, Dumitru Glavan
Sorry, was just helping out :) Didn't notice the date...