Here's a video of my new stones

Jim

Jan 22, 2011, 11:43:58 AM1/22/11
to MOC Make Your Own Curling Stones
Hello all,

Thanks for the instructions on how to make the stones. I ended up
making 10 rocks for my parents.

Here's a link to some pics:
http://imgur.com/a/plGJt#6jSIO

And a couple Videos:
http://vimeo.com/user1485139/videos

They've been a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Jim

Mario DiCarlo

Jan 22, 2011, 6:15:05 PM1/22/11
to moc-make-your-ow...@googlegroups.com
Holy Smokes Jim - that is some assembly set-up. And tons of fun out on the
ice.

I really liked the way you put the hole in the top to insert the handle.
Great looking stones too.

Out on the ice I was impressed how they didn't seem to have any wobble -
just good curlers throwing perhaps! - especially that guy in the red jacket;
it looked like he had home-ice advantage. (name wouldn't be Jim by any
chance?).

Next year you'll have to work on an ice service that doesn't "slant toward
the shore". What about ripping some 1/2 inch plywood (or 4-5 inch boards)
and setting up a sheet that you could flood once or twice to get a level
surface, and then get a little watering tank apparatus to pebble? (Just
looking down the road for when that little one in the sled starts to
practice his/her slide for the Olympics).

In the meantime keep having fun out there with these beauties, and thanks
for sharing all of your assembly processes.

MD

mr_fitz

Jan 24, 2011, 1:43:23 PM1/24/11
to moc-make-your-ow...@googlegroups.com
Very nice.  That ice looks very nice too, but seems like you might have had to adjust for the wind - a variable those indoor curlers don't have to contend with!

Jim

Jan 25, 2011, 1:16:51 PM1/25/11
to MOC Make Your Own Curling Stones
We had to adjust for the slant of the ice. It slanted towards the
shore. We have since changed the orientation of the rink so now we
either go a little up hill or a little down hill.

Our next step is to build a peppler so we can really get some curl.