Greetings from Switzerland

Christian Baracchi

Jan 4, 2017, 11:56:32 AM1/4/17
to MOC Make Your Own Curling Stones
As it is getting freezing cold over here and we just started into the Freestyle Curling Season 2016/2017 i just want to thank you for the Inspiration.
I guess we built our first Curling Stone prototype back in 2013/2014 and have been played many great Matches since then.

Just want to share some pictures with you.

1d42f9bb-276a-4953-85c0-24c2a3241dd7.jpg
3faca7e8-7ab9-405c-9b04-e8004d6e1ac7.jpg
07e272fc-37f2-42ff-8b8e-71fd6a7700c6.jpg
47cb9aa9-9f9f-4277-8b1b-e0202971fedf.jpg
9891ea68-8bfc-4b11-955e-689d93201d98.jpg
Curling.jpg
fe675d5e-10f6-4d64-b241-525d3449aedd.jpg

Christian Baracchi

Jan 4, 2017, 12:02:10 PM1/4/17
to MOC Make Your Own Curling Stones
Actually I am still struggeling with the rink marks.
How are you guys doing this? We used work with food coloring thinned with water for the marks, but with the recent black ice, this worked out pretty bad.
Any recommendations?

Mario DiCarlo

Jan 4, 2017, 5:41:19 PM1/4/17
to moc-make-your-ow...@googlegroups.com
It looks like lots of fun for the Swiss outdoor curling season!

I'll attach a couple of pictures of the rings and lines I made on my rink (not this year).

I painted them in strips in the basement, using a mesh type of rubberized material (like drawer liners, you can get at a hardware or Dollar Store). I laid them out on the ice cold to get them lined up, and then sprinkled them and they instantly froze into place.

I did the same for lines, with thin yarn.

This worked well on a rink you can flood - I'm not sure if you are flooding or just working with the natural surface of your pond - that would be a bit more difficult.

I like your stones - they look really good. Thanks for sending the great pictures! Good Luck.
496.JPG
497.JPG
498.JPG
428.JPG
651.JPG

Christian Baracchi

Jan 6, 2017, 12:42:30 PM1/6/17
to MOC Make Your Own Curling Stones
This looks really awesome. Unfortunatly we have no space we are able to flood, so we are working with natural ice surface on the nearby ponds which makes markings difficult.

Tonight i am trying to fill up some scrached markings with food colouring. Hope this is going to work out well for the scheduled match tomorrow.

Will post some pictures afterwards.