iTunes U: it's for K12 too!

Larry Lugo

Sep 25, 2012, 1:18:12 AM9/25/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
iTunes U is a free app from Apple and a whole eLearning platform. The "U" means, of course, University but according to the company "it’s easier than ever to unleash the full potential of iPad in your classroom by creating your own courses for iPad".
More over, you get to share your ideas in a powerful new way, and your students get a rich, immersive learning experience using the iTunes U app for iPad. iTunes U is available no matter where you teach — at any college, university, or K-12 school.
With this Platform+App integration you can organize your courses in a Library, offer a complete Syllabus and the whole kind of necessary resources for a succesful online course using an iDevice (iPad, iPhone) as you can see here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/en-us/#A2JtdOXmG5GgFN
This slide show was generated by sharing an iPad Photo Stream on iOS 6, a very useful and super fast way to share pictures.
Warm regards.

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 25, 2012, 2:55:10 AM9/25/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Larry, I'm certain that this application would beat the text book and my wikis... it is always amazing to see how ICT can help to get students working. The only problem is the availability of iDevices.

Kind regards,
Tuulia

Larry Lugo

Sep 25, 2012, 11:31:16 AM9/25/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your comment and I totally agree. I wrote this post because I think iTunes U is an excellent tool that has been used little in schools (K12). So I insisted on the title that is also for K12.
An alternative that we have managed to acquire iPads is in collaboration with the school of my son. By buying in bulk could be access to Apple's educational discounts and so would come cheaper. We would make a loan to the school to pay for iPads in parts.
Of course it is possible to use other less expensive tablets based on Open Source Android OS and reach agreement with the publishers of text books.
Anyway, there are options when we want education for our children the best possible and most of all ICT-based innovative.
Greetings!