iPads and Tablets in (K12)

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 27, 2012, 8:19:59 AM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com

iPads (and tablets) in K12 - When will we get it together?

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 27, 2012, 2:30:05 PM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Good comments. The article got me thinking, once again, that wouldn't it be nice if software could help lerners and teachers understand which material, exercises, games etc. would best support a learner and in this way also to make it easier for teachers to facilitate the learning of diverse learners in the same class.

Tuulia

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 27, 2012, 4:47:39 PM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Tulsa, chec my reply on other post. I will get you a couple more articles.
For my Tales of Soaring Eagles project, I have submitted...I am intending to do a short kids traditional story in Indigenous language and subtitled in English. This is one of the many aims of that project...to retain Indigenous languages and culture.

I did a test a month ago with one of the cultural advisors:
- Filmed him on iPad...just int the office, telling me a traditional story for kids
- Chose a character
- Cut the recording into sentences, so I can animate character movement
- Googled an image of the island the story was based at
- Integrated it

Within two days. I had a short mock up.
The cultural advisor was overwhelmed...his traditional language on a little animated character...then he says 'ET, that's my island in the background! when did you go up?'
My reply... 'google'. He was blown away...

He is now excited and we are going to some stories in our lunch breaks.
Cheers

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 28, 2012, 5:21:52 AM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth, your work sounds brilliant! It was interesting to hear that things worked out well when the avatar presented the story.
Somehow I feel that avatars might also help to present ideas and create new ideas among a group of people who already know each other because they do not know the avatars and cannot think that "oh, this is one of Jane's ideas again...", but perhaps concentrate on the idea instead.

Thanks for any articles, just do not work overtime because of me.
Tuulia