Avatar animation use in the classroom (Marvin + Mishme)

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 27, 2012, 8:50:45 AM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com

In one of the sessions I mentioned the use of Avatars.

I am currently producing a project where we created 4 characters representative of a particular Indigenous culture.  Recorded the dialogue in 4 Indigenous languages and currently integrating the voice with the Avatars.

The Avatars come with a series of pre-programmed movements.  The software allows to very easily add the dialogue and the software automatically makes the mouth movement. This software was specifically created in the Northern Territory to enable the health department at the time to improve their health message uptake by the NT Indigenous communities.

MarvinAvatar Creator Brochure

‪YouTube video - using Marvin in the classroom      -         21 Century Learning: MARVIN used in New Brunswick Classrooms

The Marvin team are now generating the next era of software and Avatars to be web based…therefore not limiting the user to a specific platform.

Mishme Producer is a Mishme Universal Avatar App that put’s you at centre of your animated content, regardless of your level of expertise. You’ll be able to quickly and easily create and produce digital animated avatar based content, digital stories and movies on your PC for export to a variety of file formats and for sharing with family and friends on social networks.

Mishme gives you the ability to quickly and easily create your own digitally animated Mishme Universal Avatar (MUA) and personalized animated avatar messages and movie clips for Smart-phones (Apple iOS, Google Android, Windows Mobile 7).

 Cheers

ET

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 27, 2012, 11:26:21 AM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com

You blow me away with your knowledge and energy ET!

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 27, 2012, 2:17:54 PM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth, your project sounds really interesting. And so does the avatar sw (checked it also with a 10 year old), I'm thinking if it could be used to practise languages.  You wouldn't happen to have any projects ongoing where students discuss with each other using Avatars?

Kind Regards,
Tuulia

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 27, 2012, 4:21:01 PM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Ha ha...say that to my lovely husband...who wishes I had an 'OFF BUTTON' sometimes.

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 27, 2012, 4:36:51 PM9/27/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Tuulia,
Let me think about using it to teach languages. I will contact the company and ask if they've done that before.
For my project I mentioned,Home and Community Care Services. Ichose that tool, because Indigenous communities in very remote centres are not accessing this service, because they believe it is not culturally appropriate or culturally safe.

I needed a tool that the end user would relate to. One option was to film the video several times with the different 'actors' speaking different languages.
But by using MARVIN. The same characters can be revoked with the new voices.

The software is really basic and simple to use...due to other work commitments, for this project I commissioned MARVIN to do the integration. I produced the scrips with 12 Indigenous coordinators, coordinated images I needed the community to send for the backgrounds and the audio recordings were done at the remote community (their people). I do all the coordination and direction, but not the integration. The original goal was 6 Indigenous languages, so far I have four.

It has been a long project 2 years and we are now in the integration process....Time in a remote community is very different to ours...stay tune happy to show you end result, hopefully by Christmas.

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 28, 2012, 4:39:51 AM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth,
Thank you, that is very kind of you. I'm staying tuned. About language learning: I was thinking avatars as one way of encouraging students to create a story, script etc. and present it. Would be very different from a short story written in a Word document and not as scary as an oral presentation (I come from Finland...).

Tuulia

nilgün keskin

Sep 28, 2012, 5:44:52 AM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Turkey has initiated FATIH Project with the aim enabling equal opportunities in education and improving technology in our schools for the efficient usage of ICT tools in the learning-teaching processes by appealing to more sense organs in all 620.000 schools that are in the preschool education, the primary education and the secondary education through providing tablets.

I am really interest your research. Your study results may be useful for us in K-12 mobile learning app design for tablets. Use the avatar for K-12 students is very nice idea.

Thank you for sharing your project. I am looking forward to getting more information about the study.

Nilgün

Anadolu Üniversitesi / Anadolu University
Açıköğretim Fakültesi / Open Education Faculty
ESKİŞEHİR, 26470 / Eskisehir, 26470
Web: http://nilgunozdamarkeskin.blogspot.com/
Tel: +90 (222) 33 50580/2582
Fax: +90 (222) 3307439

2012/9/28 Tuulia Kiilavuori <tuulia.k...@gmail.com>
Elizabeth,
Thank you, that is very kind of you. I'm staying tuned. About language learning: I was thinking avatars as one way of encouraging students to create a story, script etc. and present it. Would be very different from a short story written in a Word document and not as scary as an oral presentation (I come from Finland...).

Tuulia

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 28, 2012, 11:14:22 AM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Tuulia,

The software is so very easy to use that I know it has been used by school children...I am not a teacher, but I can definitely can see a scenario where the children would develop a 'script' in language. Work together and record the voices, take photos of video of backgrounds or Google images then integrate these with the characters.....too easy.  They could also add 'speech bubbles' or subtitles in Finnish.

ET

Tuulia Kiilavuori

Sep 28, 2012, 12:29:25 PM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com

Elizabeth, this really seems to be too easy for at least some of us... thank you.

Tuulia

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Sep 28, 2012, 4:34:09 PM9/28/12
to mobimooc-k1...@googlegroups.com
Tuulia,
Trust me it is easy...
No promises...but let me see what I can do at this end to find out how you can access the software?  I talk to the boys every couple of weeks for the HACC project.   I know they are working furiously on the MISHME avatar software...but let me see?

ET