Introduction, to Global Issues

John Traxler

Sep 16, 2012, 12:44:07 PM9/16/12
to mobimoo...@googlegroups.com

Good Morning Everyone

Welcome to the Global Issues thread of the MobiMOOC

The resources and ideas for the topic of Global impact of mobile devices can be found in the wikipage here. This page also has movies that give an idea of possible ideas or debates.

https://mobimooc.wikispaces.com/Global+impact+of+mobile+devices

Have a look at the page and you'll see an introduction that shows where I'm coming from and some leads and links to follow, and then some questions and issues to discuss.

I hope to add more as we progress

As you can see, any global account, and indeed any historical account, is not stable and comprehensive, not a done deed, and we need as many perspectives and positions as possible in order that we each construct and refine each other's positions and perspectives.

Webinar on the global impact of mobile devices is planned for Wednesday 19 September 2012 at 8.00 AM, GMT (look here for a list of YOUR local times organized per country/city) and will be using WizIQ meeting software.

This webinar can be entered at this URL (make sure you have a headset for optimal listening/speaking quality):

http://mobimooc.wiziq.com/online-class/935329-global-impact-of-mobile-devices-by-john-traxler

Good luck and welcome aboard,

John Traxler

Gissy

Sep 18, 2012, 4:02:37 PM9/18/12
to mobimoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
I've been reading your ideas in the MobiMOOC wiki and couldn't agree more. I'm a Dominican doctoral student in an American university (Utah State) and my main research interest is the use of mobile devices for language learning in developing countries like mine. I have looking for studies on mobile (language) learning for a while, and one of the main reasons I persist in this topic is that there is not much research on mobile learning in Latin America and the Caribbean. I thought it was me not searching properly, but finally early this year I ran into the Unesco series of papers, and looking at the paper on Latin America, I felt I wasn't that wrong. I'm particularly interested in the implementation of an affordable mobile learning. In my country (Dominican Republic) cell phones and smartphones (specially blackberries) are very popular among people from all socio-economic status. I acknowledge that mobile internet is still expensive for lower SES, but I think access to internet is not indispensable for effective mobile learning activities. There's a skepticism in the educational sector in my country about using these technologies, and I'd like to learn more on how I can contribute. So, I'm looking forward to the webinar and yours and other participants' opinions.
Have a great evening!

John Traxler

Oct 19, 2012, 5:14:42 AM10/19/12
to mobimoo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone

I'm very interested in what factors influence funding for individual conference attendance and I'm hoping that canvassing the community might bring out significant details that conference organisers could consider in their arrangements.

So, imagine you have made a successful submission to a mobile learning research conference and now you would like your organisation or institution to fund your travel and attendance; what would make a difference?

Full hard copy proceedings, or CD or download?

1. The perceived esteem of the organising committee and/or the review panel?

2. The review process: full or abstract, blind or open, two phases (ie review of revisions)?

3. Status of conference, endorsements by research bodies, scientific bodies ....? Which ones? This year's theme?

4. Associated with peer-reviewed journal special edition? Or edited book?

5. Venue or travel issues? Visas? Time zones? Time away from teaching?

6. Any others?

I'm thinking mainly about academic conferences featuring research papers. but are there other formats and audiences that mobile learning conferences should reach out to? Introductory workshops? Technical development camps? early researcher training?

Looking forward to hearing everyone

Thanks in advance

John Traxler

Linda Levitt

Oct 21, 2012, 12:05:19 PM10/21/12
to mobimoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

This is a very interesting question. I teach at a mid-sized state university in Texas, where all faculty have an annual allocation of about $700US for conference travel. It's quite difficult to attend even one conference without exceeding that allocation, so faculty will either pay for conferences out of pocket or seek additional funding from their department chairs, deans, or research centers on campus. There are also "mini grants" available for research projects and to present results of said research at conferences. So if I had spent my travel funding and sought to attend a mobile learning research conference, I believe that being able to demonstrate the significance of the community gathered for the conference would be deemed important. It helps to say that a conference represents the opportunity to interact with, present research to/with, and potentially collaborate with leading scholars in any given field. "Global" is a buzzword here, so an international conference is value-added too.

I hope that helps.
-Linda

John Traxler

John Traxler

Oct 22, 2012, 5:30:02 AM10/22/12
to mobimoo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Linda

There's a cluster of responses around the issues you mention. I need to pass these on as being typical of one set responses. Hopefully conference organisers can adapt

regards,

John Traxler

Professor & Director, Learning Lab
Shropshire