Curriculum vs framework

helga hambrock

Sep 17, 2012, 12:13:31 PM9/17/12
to mobimooc-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the webinar Adel. You did a great job. As I understand it curriculum is mostly about content and approach, so what you were discussing was the flexibility of using mobile devices to convey the content in different packages.

Adele Botha

Sep 21, 2012, 9:38:47 AM9/21/12
to mobimooc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helga
Taking a step back and assessing why on earth one would come up with something so general in the first place is another question, and one that I think is good to start with.
I suppose its also a bit reactive in the sense that its all around us, how should or could we use it. There is very very little out there with any guidelines as to..." what a Mobile Learning practitioner should be able to do... what is best practice .. what is it that would form a mlearning academic background and how and what should one know about this social phenomena to guide policy decisions and support staff.
Every time an institution embarks on this they have to start learning from the very beginning and much of it is very contextual. Not that the literature on Mobile Learning is nearly as scarce as a few years back but there is still much opinion based anecdotal accounts that, I am in time , will lead to meta ideas and concepts. But we dont have the luxury of  time! Practitioners and institutions are confronted by these issues NOW and they need solutions or at least a starting point. That is what the Curriculum framework aims to do. Be a starting point for further implementation.
As such it needs to be adapted for local contexts. I am very passionate about local content and believe not only the content but also the delivery of any service should build on local ideas of learning. For example the IsiXHosa teaching rests on making sure everyone is on the same "page" what we perceive as rote learning is often the process of aligning to make sure that this is so. That way of teaching and learning needs to be appropriated for a local instance. Who better to do it then the locals themselves.

Now the problem that we are having is that to put such a framework out there it needs to have some type of credibility and  not be well a faction effort. But I find that possible contributes are also to unsure to contribute with confidence. Much contributions that have been added by this group through the google documents did not want to be acknowledged or remained anonymous despite giving VERY pertinent and valuable feedback.

So we need to do it differently. We are going to do a number of workshops. Possibly invite people to volunteer to host it and get some more feedback that way.
That is why I appreciate every single ones inputs and contributions. Feedback is such a gift and has the potential to contribute to something truly helpful for all of us.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Sep 22, 2012, 2:49:29 AM9/22/12
to mobimooc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adele, will gladly try to assemble some people from around this area to try out the mobile curriculum in their/our setting and give you feedback afterwards.
Will keep you informed. I agree that a strong backbone for future (and current) mLearning projects is necessary, but in order to fit the idea of the MLCF onto such variety of options, we must try it out and return possible missing points or strong aspects. So follow up news will ... follow.
Inge

Paz Barceló

Sep 22, 2012, 6:52:47 AM9/22/12
to mobimooc-...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree that the analysis of local content is important and necessary. We presume that the teaching and learning process should be individualized to reach all students, since each has a different learning needs, but also a learning style. So what we focus on the mobile device or we focus on the individual and their needs? (I find it hard to explain with details in English, sorry). I mean, the teacher has to be a strategic teacher, and also a strategic learner. You should also try to get their students were also strategic students. Mobile resources that will help organize learning and teaching, but mostly I think it always used those tools that help each individual student characteristics or the needs of a group in a given local context and in a temporary situation. Thank for you webinar, Adele.