Issue 276 in mobileterminal: External keyboard support

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Apr 9, 2011, 2:56:37 PM4/9/11
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 276 by da4e...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Paired iPod touch 4 with apple wireless keyboard.
Perhaps it also apply to the wired keyboards connected to the iPads via
apple camera connection kit.

Letter, number and some modifier keys working normaly, on-screen keyboard
did not show up (as expected).

- Arrow keys don't work
- Can't use keys combinations

All that works in native apps like Notes or Safari, and some other build
for iOs 4.3

iPod Toutch 4g
iOs 4.3.1
Mobile terminal r520

I'm currently interested in having tiny, but powerful device to try some
python development. iPod touch is just great, but i cant use most of the
iOs apps to write a code (thay store it in local databases, so i can't run
it on-the-go) and i can't use nano without arrow keys.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Jul 8, 2011, 6:40:17 PM7/8/11
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 276 by bruce.a....@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

The plan: to use my iPad 2 (iOS 4.3.3) and Logitech/ZAGG keyboard as a
lightweight development platform. But mobileterminal (520-1 per Cydia)
appears to ignore the arrow keys. Other apps honor these keys. Any known
solution for this?

-B...

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Jul 8, 2011, 6:52:23 PM7/8/11
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Labels: -Type-Defect Type-Enhancement

Comment #2 on issue 276 by dave.sto...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Please understand MobileTerminal was created back on iOS 1
The cydia page still says "not quite done for iOS 2.x"

The code is more or less stable and changes are quite difficult as far as I
know

However, I'll mark it as accepted for now

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Oct 11, 2011, 8:30:34 AM10/11/11
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 276 by elmb...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Seconding this suggestion. I use a zaggmate keyboard. Using a text editor
(like nano) in terminal mode is not workable due to the lack of support for
arrow keys and the control key. As noted above, these keys do work
elsewhere on the iPad.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Feb 21, 2012, 10:26:59 AM2/21/12
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 276 by matt.mar...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

I would also like to see the Esc, Control, and Arrow Keys supported on
external keyboards. This would make vim (and most other curses supported
applications) usable and turn the iPad into a truly useful tool.

iPad2, iOS 5.0.1, Apple Wireless Keyboard, MobileTerminal r520_1

Thanks
Matt

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Feb 21, 2012, 10:31:00 AM2/21/12
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 276 by matt.mar...@gmail.com: External keyboard support

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Feb 21, 2012, 10:46:06 AM2/21/12
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 276 by matt.mar...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Looks like the rejection of multi-character input in this snippet from
Keyboard.m is the culprit. Would just commenting this out fix the issue?

- (void)insertText:(id)character
{
if ([character length] != 1)
[NSException raise:@"Unsupported" format:@"Unhandled multi-char
insert!"];
[shellKeyboard handleKeyPress:[character characterAtIndex:0]];
}

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2013, 11:57:20 AM6/8/13
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 276 by hiloba...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Agreed. Unsuccessfully tried to use this with Apple Wireless Keyboard.

issue notifications to this address.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Sep 3, 2013, 2:15:12 AM9/3/13
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 276 by r.ryan.t...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

I agree; fixing this would transform the way I used my iPad. I know a
little Objective-C and would totally be willing to pitch in to make this
happen, if that would help ... feel free to drop me an email.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Feb 5, 2014, 8:07:44 AM2/5/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 276 by gamriamd...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

su password ??

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Feb 5, 2014, 1:39:38 PM2/5/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 276 by ensje...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

alpine is usually the default.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Apr 1, 2014, 4:10:03 PM4/1/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 276 by legend5...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

I need this too. I have been developing and compiling terminal applications
on iOS for some time and I cannot live without my old, loud, and amazing
IBM keyboard. If I were able to use the terminal like I would on a desktop
UNIX-like workstation, I would be beyond grateful... I would finally have a
reason to use iOS as more than a toy or a pet project.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Apr 1, 2014, 4:18:47 PM4/1/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 276 by legend5...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

I would like to add that this is possibly the single most important feature
I want on my iPhone that is yet not available. I mean, I can already run an
X server and hack mouse input. If the keyboard worked properly I would be
set for life and finally be ready to accept tablets/smartphones as the way
of the future (that said, my desktop PC would remain my favorite machine
for it's raw power. But seriously, I WANT THIS).

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Apr 1, 2014, 5:31:09 PM4/1/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 276 by allen.po...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Yeah, it would be great if someone wants to implement it. I haven't seen
any volunteers yet.

mobilet...@googlecode.com

Jul 3, 2014, 5:43:59 PM7/3/14
to mobilet...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 276 by night.ho...@gmail.com: External keyboard support
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/issues/detail?id=276

Bump. Key combos would give us ^c and use of ctrl in general, allow with
support of the arrow keys, gives the ability to use editors, which are
worthless otherwise. Possibly, cmd-c and cmd-v for copy/paste? What can be
done to make this happen? If only someone would adopt mobileTerminal and
maintain it. Put it up for sale, it will sell. I find it hard to believe
there is no alternative other than ssh 127.0.0.1 from a client.