Fwd: [Tech Talk] Security and Compliance with Kate Foust & Landing Your First Gig Resources

justin hoffman

Mar 19, 2019, 9:19:14 PM3/19/19
to Mobile+Web

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ricky Holtz <evh...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 20, 2019, 2:36 AM
Subject: [Tech Talk] Security and Compliance with Kate Foust & Landing Your First Gig Resources
To: Mmart-Tech-Talks <mmart-te...@googlegroups.com>

Hey all,

So, you've designed and built an awesome application that solves your user needs, and you're ready to bring it to the market. But, as you start pitching it, they start asking you some weird questions, like: How does your application process user data? What measures are in place to secure personal information like passwords, emails, and phone numbers? Is your website transacting sensitive information using standard encryption protocols?

Kate Foust will talk to us about some of the compliance issues that companies face, and that you'll want to consider, as you embark on your career in tech. As we see examples of companies like Facebook mishandling user data, and entities like the EU create increasingly higher standards for how consumer data gets handled, it's critical that we have a basic understanding of security and compliance.

Please join in person tomorrow, March 20th at 7PM at Berkeley City College, Room 227, or remotely via Zoom: https://twilio.zoom.us/j/689294260

Additionally, I've attached a recording of the talk on getting your first job, and you can also check out a git repo of various resources I'm cobbling together. Feel free to submit a pull request with useful resources, and/or help with the organization of it! (:

As always, bring lots of questions -  I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Upcoming Talks:

March 27th: Distributed Systems with Koushik Roy

April 3rd: Spring break, no class

April 10th: Tech Practice