Four recent blog posts about telecommunications and social media use in Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands region

Amanda Watson

Mar 25, 2021, 7:55:56 PM3/25/21
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com

Hello. I hope you’re all well in your various parts of the world.

I thought you might be interested in four recent blog posts about telecommunications and social media use in Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands region.

How sustainable, robust and secure are telecommunication networks in the Pacific? Natural disasters and cybersecurity threats are key challenges. For more, read here:  https://www.policyforum.net/are-telecommunications-in-the-pacific-at-risk/

The Coral Sea Cable was officially launched in December 2019 amidst much anticipation of lower internet prices in Papua New Guinea & Solomon Islands. As yet, there has been no noticeable decrease in mobile internet prices in PNG, as I have explained with Divine Word University's Picky Airi & University of Papua New Guinea's Moses Sakai: https://devpolicy.org/mobile-internet-prices-in-papua-new-guinea-still-no-downward-movement-20210318-1/

Why did Facebook’s recent Australian news ban have a big impact in the Pacific Islands region? I discuss key reasons for Facebook’s popularity & dominance in the Pacific region today with Jemima Garrett: https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/facebook-s-monopoly-danger-pacific

Misinformation about COVID-19 is circulating on social media in PNG, according to Sue Ahearn: https://devpolicy.org/social-media-bullshit-threatens-control-of-covid-19-outbreak-in-png-20210323-3/

Amanda

Dr Amanda H A Watson
ahaw...@hotmail.com