Fwd: Fw: [Coding Value] Digest for coding-value@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Gianluca Miscione

Nov 21, 2018, 4:16:08 AM11/21/18
to Nettime, Coding Space, CTS Unicamp, geo-m...@googlegroups.com, GeoWeb, Study of the Collaborative Economy in Ireland, STS in Urban Planning, ICTD Researchers, cts-lati...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps of interest

Gianluca Miscione
University College Dublin (on Sabbatical Leave at the University of Zürich IMRG, DSI, BCC)
office: 2.D.12 Binzmühlestrasse 14
CH-8050 Zürich, Switzerland

-----Forwarded by Gianluca Miscione/at/UZH on 11/21/2018 09:47AM -----
To: "Digest recipients" <coding...@googlegroups.com>
From: coding...@googlegroups.com
Date: 11/20/2018 10:15PM
Subject: [Coding Value] Digest for coding...@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Paul Cuffe <paul....@ucd.ie>: Nov 20 04:12PM

*Hate *climate change?
*Love *renewable energy?
*Suspect *that blockchains are the sort of weirdo outsider innovation that
just might utterly disrupt the energy industry, but you're not quite sure
precisely how?

I have secured funding for three PhD positions on the topic of "*using
blockchains to facilitate renewable power generation*" This project will
explore three main ideas:

- the tokenisation of energy
- smart contracts to provide bespoke financial instruments for renewables
developers
- harnessing prediction markets to enhance foresight over variable
renewables

I am looking for smart, enthusiastic candidates with backgrounds in
engineering, finance, economics or computer science. An interest in
blockchains and crytpocurrency would be an advantage, though that is not to
say that you must be a naive true believer. Our goal here is to articulate
whether blockchains can help to decarbonise energy systems, and if so, how
they can do so. To do this, I want candidates who can get properly excited
about the strange new possibilities of blockchain technology, without
believing all the hype that surrounds this topic.

I don't want this to be incremental, colour-by-numbers research. I don't
have the answers already in mind. Creativity will, therefore, be essential.
Comfort zones may have to be left. Weird programming languages for writing
smart contracts will probably have to be learned. You might even have to
spend four years explaining to your friends that, no, Bitcoin isn't the
only cryptocurrency, and, yes, blockchain has uses that aren't sketchy or
illegal.

Interested candidates should apply to paul....@ucd.ie with:

- An up-to-date CV
- A provokative question about one of the three topics above
- Anything else that evidences their technical creativity

Fees will be covered and there will be a tax-free stipend of €18,500 for
four years.

Dr. Paul Cuffe,

Assistant Professor,
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering,
University College Dublin

+353 1 716 1732
📱 +353 87 784 3796
📌 upgrading.echo.plates <https://map.what3words.com/upgrading.echo.plates>