Suggestions on mobile app prototyping tool

Mark Murphy

Dec 18, 2014, 10:13:57 AM12/18/14
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com
I last used one of these a few years ago and now the field of choices has grown overwhelming! At a glance, FluidUI looks like it might meet our needs but I'd like to tap the crowd's wisdom.

Features we'd like:
  • Collaboration with ability to attach notes for both review and explanation
  • Images for backgrounds of screens and widgets
  • Platform independent - web i/f or runs on Windows and Mac
  • Low cost: <$30 month per user
Nice to have:
  • Prototype will run on Android device
  • Models some Android widgets, such as menus

Brent

Dec 29, 2014, 2:43:36 PM12/29/14
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark -

It really depends on the level of time, knowledge and fidelity you need.  For instance, does it need to work and look perfect on the device?  With cool interactions that can be dialed in just like you want them?  Here are the 4 horses of the UI/UX apocalypse that I recommend:

Quick and dirty:
- POP (prototyping on paper)

More fidelity:
- Keynote (used by both Apple and Google Ventures for prototyping)
- FluidUI

Looks & Acts real:
- Proto.io
- Pixate (I love this tool)

Buck Up Lil Camper:
- Xcode (build the UI with interactions)
- Android Studio (ditto)
- Ionic Framework with PhoneGap

cheers,
brent

Rob

Dec 29, 2014, 3:43:17 PM12/29/14
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com
Mark, this is not inclusive of your requirements, but since Brent mentioned POP:

Photoshop. Using layercomps to hide and show layers.

This is an effective way to build both primitive and advanced wireframes and free if you have a license. :)

Rob

Kenneth Lafond

Dec 29, 2014, 10:41:25 PM12/29/14
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com

GIMP is free and useful for that purpose even if you don't have a Photoshop license.

Ken

Brent

Jan 19, 2015, 6:59:09 PM1/19/15
to mobile-...@googlegroups.com
You may also want to check out this tool called Form.  It looks like a cross between Quartz Composer and Pixate.  It used to cost money, but they were just purchased by Google and it's now free.  Another unique feature is that you have access to the camera and all sensors too.  I've not seen any other prototyping tools that can do that.

~ b