Continued work on the CNC

Josh Rhodes

Oct 28, 2012, 1:31:33 AM10/28/12
to mobile...@googlegroups.com
Rick and I worked on various things from about 2 to 7 today.
Mainly the CNC mechanicals.
After we (Rick) soldered the z axis wires we went looking around the hardware store to find anything that would enable us to precisely attach the stepper motor shafts to the leadscrews (threaded rod).

We ended up finding some bronze bushings that fit very snugly against the stepper motor and the 1/4-20 threaded rod.

But how to guarantee it doesnt slip?

Here's the solution..

When we tried to drill the hole in the stepper shaft for the cotter pin things got a little iffy. We ruined two drill bits using the dremel to attempt a high speed drilling through the hardened tool steel shaft.

So lesson learned, Tool Steel is INCREDIBLY hard!

To be continued...

Josh Rhodes

Oct 28, 2012, 2:34:37 AM10/28/12
to mobile...@googlegroups.com

Here's the solution.. (In Picture format)

I had to leave shortly after we got the first hole drilled in the first stepper.

Rick, did you work on the CNC anymore tonight?