Is there a public git repo for the CBL and/or Sync Gateway documentation?

Paul Capestany

Sep 2, 2015, 9:46:26 PM9/2/15
to Couchbase Mobile
I personally really liked when all the documentation lived in the Github wikis, it was pretty easy to keep track of changes to the documentation that way. I looked around and saw that there's https://github.com/couchbaselabs/docs-ng and https://github.com/couchbase/docs-cb4 ...but neither of those seem to contain CBL or Sync Gateway documentation? Did I miss where the docs are, or do they not currently exist in a public repo?

Also, what would be the best way to go about reporting/fixing any potential documentation errors we might run into?

Paul Capestany

Sep 3, 2015, 9:11:18 AM9/3/15
to Couchbase Mobile
Btw, just to be clear, the specific documentation I'm referring to is that which (currently) resides at http://developer.couchbase.com/guides-and-references

Traun Leyden

Sep 3, 2015, 11:54:09 AM9/3/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,

Do you mean the server documentation, the mobile documentation, or both?

Paul Capestany

Sep 3, 2015, 12:29:00 PM9/3/15
to Couchbase Mobile
I'm not talking about the Couchbase Server 4.0 documentation, I'm talking about the CBL + Sync Gateway docs, which I guess have this anchor link on that page → Couchbase Mobile 1.1.0

Traun Leyden

Sep 3, 2015, 12:38:43 PM9/3/15
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
If you are talking about the CBL and Sync Gateway guides and API docs etc, those are all in

which is currently a private repo, but there was talk about making it public at some point.

Paul Capestany

Sep 3, 2015, 12:50:11 PM9/3/15
to Couchbase Mobile
Ah, yeah, would be great if it was a public repo (again, in order to track diffs and raise issues/PRs for the documentation).

Heck, pretty much everything else you guys do seems to be in public repos, don't see the harm in making https://github.com/couchbaselabs/couchbase-mobile-portal public too? :)

Jeff Thomas

Sep 3, 2015, 1:00:03 PM9/3/15
to Couchbase Mobile
Paul,

Thank you for your query. Here are some answers.

  1. At the moment, the Couchbase Mobile documentation portal is in a private repository. I have heard others ask, “shouldn’t this be public?” We will discuss this.
  2. Regarding keeping track of changes in the documentation, the Release Notes do not currently provide this information. We will also discuss that possibility. In the meantime, following is noteworthy new documentation content (in 1.1.0 and more recently):
Sync Gateway:
http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/1.1.0/get-started/sync-gateway-overview/index.html

Couchbase Lite:

Sync Gateway Upgrade Guide:
I expect new Sync Gateway upgrade documentation to appear with or soon after the next release of Couchbase Mobile (1.1.1). The URL for that will be the following:
  1. Regarding the best way to send feedback, the starting point is the blue Send Feedback button that is now in the bottom right corner of most documentation pages. Asking questions or raising issues in the forum as you have done is also fine, but I recommend using the blue button.
One other note: We just changed the appearance of the documentation website, and in some places the revised toolchain has made a bit of a mess. We will be combing the website for those issues, so you do not need to report them (unless you want to).

Thanks.

Jeff Thomas