Issue 10 in mobile-bookmark-bubble: mobile-bookmark-bubble not displaying

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2011, 12:40:24 PM2/27/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 10 by york.ric...@gmail.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Go to http://www.gwpahs.org/m/index.html
2. mobile-bookmark-bubble does not appear
3. No error messages or anything.... Just doesn't appear

I am using iphonenav.js for our mobile site and have changed the following
to localStorage as described in the comments of example.js but no
mobile-bookmark-bubble is displayed:

bubble.setHashParameter = function() {
if (!this.hasHashParameter()) {
window.localStorage += parameter;
}
};

iPhone 4 (4.2.1) + Xcode iOS SDK Emulator (iPad/iPhone etc) on OS X for
some testing

Links to significant files:

http://www.gwpahs.org/m/bookmark_bubble.js
http://www.gwpahs.org/m/example.js
http://www.gwpahs.org/m/iphonenav.js

As mentioned above, I have changed the following to localStorage as
described in the comments of example.js but is still not working (am I
missing something or is there more too it):

bubble.setHashParameter = function() {
if (!this.hasHashParameter()) {
window.localStorage += parameter;
}
};

Maybe I need to make more changes but Im not too sure where....?

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Feb 28, 2011, 10:53:26 AM2/28/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Your setHashParameter() function uses window.localStorage incorrectly.
Check out this tutorial from Dive Into HTML5 for more details:
http://diveintohtml5.org/storage.html#methods

Try something like this instead:
var BUBBLE_STORAGE_KEY = 'bubble';

bubble.hasHashParameter = function() {
return window.localStorage[BUBBLE_STORAGE_KEY];
};

bubble.setHashParameter = function() {
window.localStorage[BUBBLE_STORAGE_KEY] = '1';
};

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 1, 2011, 5:24:30 AM3/1/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 10 by york.ric...@gmail.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm still having issues as I don't
fully understand what the problem is. I have tried the code provided above
and it didn't work for me.

Is there a way of simply not using cookies or html5 localStorage and just
display the bubble by clicking a hyperlink?

As you can probably tell, Im not too good with JavaScript but this bubble
is such a great idea I'd love to integrate it into out mobile site...

Many thanks,

Rich

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 3, 2011, 4:48:01 PM3/3/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I just tried downloading your code and running it locally, and it worked
fine for me. One thing to note is that with your implementation of
setHashParameter(), the bubble will only ever be shown once per device
(unless the user clears their cache). For testing, you might want to change
this so that the bubble is _always_ shown:

bubble.setHashParameter = function() { }
bubble.hasHashParameter = function() {
return false;
}

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 8, 2011, 3:41:49 AM3/8/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 10 by york.ric...@gmail.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Thanks, I have tried the above code and the bubble still does not display.
I have no idea what is stopping it from displaying. Im getting close to
giving up now :( Thanks for you help and patience

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 11, 2011, 6:27:56 PM3/11/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Do you have the current version of your code running somewhere that I can
experiment with it? It looks like the links in your initial bug report are
still pointing to an older version of the code that uses
window.localStorage.

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 12, 2011, 4:01:29 PM3/12/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 10 by york.ric...@gmail.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Hi, yes sorry it is now back to your latest suggestion. Many thanks for
your continued support!

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Mar 17, 2011, 10:55:21 AM3/17/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Sorry, I've been swamped with other projects recently. I'll take a look at
this as soon as I can. :)

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Apr 3, 2011, 10:17:50 AM4/3/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

It looks like the add to homescreen link now just shows an alert() with
text instructions. Is there somewhere else that the bookmark bubble is
being triggered?

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

May 12, 2011, 6:17:06 AM5/12/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 10 by ghy...@allscenes.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

I've been having the identical issue, cropped up recently although am
unaware how long I've overlooked it.

I've made no changes to the js, until going through this post to attempt to
fix the issue with the comments provided.

A live instance of this occurrance:
http://www.allscenes.com/allscenes
http://www.allscenes.com/allscenes/static/js/bookmark_bubble.js
http://www.allscenes.com/allscenes/static/js/bookmark.js

What I find odd is that I've made no change to cause the issue,
Does the library rely on any external resources??

I do have other google services installed (Analytics & Translate) but
removing them has no change so I don't thing they're conflicting.

Help appreciated.

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

May 12, 2011, 5:11:27 PM5/12/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 10 by ghy...@allscenes.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Going through our sites today my issue has resolved itself oddly enough.
Unsure as to the original cause or indication as to how it resolved on it's
own (Wasn't just from me restarting as it was occurring on my other devices
as well).

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

May 12, 2011, 5:15:30 PM5/12/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 10 by ntho...@google.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble not
displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Glad to hear it's working again. For the record, the library doesn't rely
on any external resources.

mobile-book...@googlecode.com

Nov 14, 2011, 7:30:59 PM11/14/11
to mobile-book...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 10 by priyanka...@papercut.com: mobile-bookmark-bubble
not displaying
http://code.google.com/p/mobile-bookmark-bubble/issues/detail?id=10

Hi there,

When I use the code you have provided in comment 1. It does show the bubble
only once and then doesn't show it. It's probably works this way because it
is storing the value inlocal storage. I want it to be shown if it has been
dismissed twice. (using NUMBER_OF_TIMES_TO_DISMISS field documented in the
bookmark_bubble.js) When you use this code does this field hold no
importance?