SCTP Multihoming Association client side

mehdi boudou

Feb 24, 2015, 1:42:39 PM2/24/15
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to simulate SCTP mutihoming with mobicents and simulator.I joined the slide to be more accurate.

the mobicents initiate the connection sctp, and the simulator is server.

first i configured the sctp server on mobicents like this => sctp server create TestServer ipA,ip B 2905

in the documentation it explaines that " if the primary ip address becomes unavailable it will automatically fall back to secondary address."

 if the primary IP A will not be available, ( for the server side  it seems that  mobicents server canno't bind it and then switch ?).

Then i configure the association client like this

sctp association create asspls041 CLIENT IPC 2905 IPA,IPB 2905

AFAIK the association will start with IPA and IPC but if there is a problem, the mobicents server will switch to IPB but will try to IPC and not IPD   (IPA=>IPC, IPB=>IPC)

I  would like to know if i need to create two associations ?

to do thi IPA => IPC and then IPB=>IPD.

 I would like to know also  => how to configure a sctp association client  with an IP which mobicents doesn't bind on it at the start  ? or shall I defines all 0.0.0.0 when i started the jboss ?

and is iptable the best tools to simulate a problem and to see if the multihoming is well configured ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Mehdi
Sctp2.pptx

mehdi boudou

Feb 26, 2015, 9:30:25 AM2/26/15
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Has someone any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Mehdi

mehdi boudou

Mar 3, 2015, 12:17:04 PM3/3/15
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Has someone any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Mehdi

mehdi boudou

Mar 16, 2015, 9:59:37 AM3/16/15
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
It's work :), sorry a bad network configuration made me crazy and blocked the second association.

Thanks

Armache Antoni

Nov 24, 2020, 3:17:36 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
Hi mehdi, i have a issue in sctp multihoming i dont know if am doing it the right way,

could you give me some advise

mehdi

Nov 24, 2020, 6:10:41 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
Can you explain your topology? and what's wrong with it?

Armache Antoni

Nov 24, 2020, 6:31:34 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
Hi medhi,

i have my server with 2 interface. <>interface1:10.67.0.106 and <>interface2:10.67.0.107

i am supposed to connect to a destination server configured as [SERVER-MODE] so basically i will be client.

The destination server has 2 ip. <>ip1:10.66.201.9 and <>ip2:10.66.201.25

The destination told me they want sctp multihoming which basically will be an association supporting multiple IPs.

i have configured my SERVER as CLIENT-MODE in sctp but how do i know i am using multihoming ? and how do i test it since am CLIENT-SIDE? am just lost at this point

i have attached a trace and config in my yesterday post here:

mehdi

Nov 24, 2020, 7:06:58 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
I think that your primary address is 10.67.0.106 port 2905 and secondary 10.67.0.107 which is connecting to peer primary 10.66.201.9 on port 2905 for sctp and peer secondary is 10.66.201.25

The multihoming is the fact that your client association will switch automatically to your secondary address if there is a problem with your primary AND the same system with the peer Adress ( switch to the secondary if there is a problem on primary)

Thatswhy you need to create a client association that will connect to the peer primary address and only specifies your extraHostAddress value. After there will be a negotiation between primaries address that will exchange extrahostAdresses

Apply to your case, I think that you need to create an association like that in the XML config file.

<associations>
        <name value="ass1"/>
        <association name="ass1" assoctype="CLIENT" hostAddress="10.67.0.106" hostPort="2905" peerAddress=" 10.66.201.9 " peerPort="2905" serverName="" ipChannelType="0" extraHostAddresseSize="1">
                <extraHostAddress value=" 10.67.0.107 "/>
        </association>
</associations>

And normally it will be enough to do the job .

mehdi

Nov 24, 2020, 7:21:15 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
You can test it by blocking your primary IP (ifdown interface name ) and you will see that the secondary IP will took the relay

Armache Antoni

Nov 24, 2020, 8:59:17 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
Thanks medhi,

Your advise are like a breath of fresh hair......... I notice 2 things, i don't need to use destination-server IP2 in any of my config <>destination IP1 will be enough! that's a relief, was starting to doubt myself.
Secondly, i tried to knock down my interface that include my ip10.67.0.106 i received a lot of error in server logs! so i will check it again!

Thanks again for showing the way

mehdi

Nov 24, 2020, 10:01:37 AM11/24/20
to mobicents-public
You are welcome, I'm really happy to help you :)
I had a lot of headaches before it works in production  and I would have liked someone to help me :)

Take a TCP dump at the start to see if the association up correctly and if the other levels (m3ua etc) up too.
Then block your primary IP to see whats exactly happened at the SCTP level.

Thanks.

BR,

Mehdi