FW: Reminder: Helping Native American Females Thrive in Your STEM and CTE Programs

Lynda Milne

Feb 23, 2015, 9:34:30 AM2/23/15
to mnscu...@googlegroups.com

From: Stemep_national [stemep_nati...@lists.osu.edu] on behalf of National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity [na...@napequity.org]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 8:08 AM
To: STEMEP_...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Reminder: Helping Native American Females Thrive in Your STEM and CTE Programs

STEM Horizontal

Register for the STEM Equity Pipeline Webinar,
Helping Native American Females Thrive in Your STEM and CTE Programs

Thursday, February 26, 2015
2-3:30 pm ET, 1-2:30 pm CT, 12-1:30 pm MT, 11 am-12:30 pm PT

Presented by Wren Walker Robbins, PhD, Director of Changing Communities (2C) Consulting and serves as Vice-president of North Star American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) Alliance & Professional Chapter (NSAAP)

Sponsored by NAPE, STEM Equity Pipeline, and the National Science Foundation

Complimentary 1.5-hour session. Register now.

Join Wren Walker Robbins in this interactive and transformative webinar as she uses storytelling and models ways to interact with Native females so they survive and thrive in STEM and CTE.

Take a journey across cultures into the perceptual intersections of Native and Western cultures to broaden your ability to embrace diversity and to set yourself on a path to effectively teach and mentor underserved and underrepresented females. This webinar uses storytelling to introduce participants to a Native perception of women that provides a point of departure to many of the images portrayed in popular culture (e.g., movies, songs, and stories).  Learn about a set of cultural proficiency tools that can help you to eliminate your stereotypes or those that you encounter in your programs.

INTENDED AUDIENCE

STEM program educators, administrators, and counselors plus anyone interested in improving recruitment and retention of females or underrepresented students in their STEM programs.

OBJECTIVES

  1. Explore a Native perception of females.
  2. Explore commonly held stereotypes that impact our ability to effectively teach and mentor females from Native communities.
  3. Identify a set of cultural proficiency tools to eliminate your own stereotypes or those encountered in your STEM programs.
  4. Learn about inter-cultural tools for inviting culture into CTE/STEM courses and organizations to empower underserved and underrepresented women to persist and thrive.

PRESENTER

Wren began her journey into science by becoming mesmerized by the cell life in a pond on her parent's farm. Her curiosity took her on a long journey, from a family where she was the first to graduate college through a post-doc at Harvard Medical School, from hard science to a dedication to STEM education with a personal sense of urgency about equity in access in science.

In Wren's own word's, "I'm a two-spirit woman of Mohawk descent with a PhD in cell biology. I am a pipe-carrier and member of the Mountain Spirit Lodge Society. Over the past 4 years I worked with hundreds of educators to address equity and access in STEM education. What I discover, as I uncover traditional knowing and synthesize the diverse parts of my own identity, has inspired me to rethink education. I offer a map to revitalize science education as it operates within diverse classrooms and in a world just beginning to recognize its many cultural traditions."

REGISTRATION

Register for this 1.5-hour complimentary webinar on February 26, 2015. After you register, NAPE will send instructions about accessing the event to your email address (please check your junk folder).

nsf logo
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. HRD-1203121.  Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.

National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity
91 Newport Pike, Suite 302, Gap, PA 17527
This e-mail was sent to members of the National STEM Equity Pipeline e-mail list.  If you want to unsubscribe from this list, please forward this e-mail to nag...@osu.edu and put the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity | 91 Newport Pike | Suite 302 | Gap | PA | 17527