Re: {Ely Field Naturalists} Butterfly Identification

Bill Tefft

May 25, 2012, 9:58:36 PM5/25/12
to Ely Field Naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com
I found the first three along the road into the community gardens and the fourth at the fork in the road that takes you to the garlic mustard patch.  I took the fork again tonight and found the garlic mustard.  What is the plan for what to do with it.  It is guarded by the burdock.

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Bill Tefft <efn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to work on my butterfly identification.  If anyone can correct or confirm my identification of these butterflies that I photographed during a walk today, I would appreciate it.  The common checkered skipper appears to be earlier than suggested in my books and also is described as not being in northeastern MN.

--
Bill Tefft
efn...@gmail.com

Bill Tefft
efn...@gmail.com
218-235-8078

Bill Tefft

May 25, 2012, 7:15:49 PM5/25/12
to Ely Field Naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com
American Lady.JPG
Arctic Skipper.JPG
Hobomok Skipper.JPG
Common Checkered Skipper.JPG

Ron Huber

May 26, 2012, 4:13:27 PM5/26/12
to efn...@gmail.com, Ely Field Naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com
Bill,
Thanks for sharing the great images !  The earliest date that I have on file for the Checkered Skipper  is 5-15-1969 at Glyndon, Clay Co, vouchered by Tim McCabe.  Otherwise they usually started showing up in June & July.  Like-wise the northeasternmost record is from Solana St Forest, Aitkin Co, vouchered 6-8-1968 by Phil Nordin.  Unless
there are other records for NE MN that are unknown to me, yours is the champion.
Keep up the good work !
Ron Huber

Jim Phillips (MP-Transmission) (MP)

May 29, 2012, 11:22:58 AM5/29/12
to hube...@umn.edu, efn...@gmail.com, Ely Field Naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com

Bill, Ron,

Our butterfly group once tallied a couple of the Common Checkered Skippers about 20 miles north of Duluth (Boulder Lake area) on June 9 2007.  So, Bill, you have us beat easily both as to date and location.

We did not get any vouchers.

Thanks,

Jim Phillips