Red-Disked Alpines

Jerry

Jun 2, 2011, 10:32:00 PM6/2/11
to MNLEP
Have you been wanting to see a Red-Disked Alpine, considered to be one
of our rarer butterflies? This might be the year. I have seen five
in central St. Louis County recently, so, they may be relatively
common this year. Four were in a spruce bog near Embarrass and the
other was taking moisture on a gravel road near Zim. Seeing five in a
short time is amazing since I had never seen even one before! They
are an interesting sight, especially for their weird, slow, wobbly
flight. There may be a mini-population explosion this year so watch
for them!