Todays finds

Norma Malinowski

Mar 17, 2012, 5:09:05 PM3/17/12
to Ely naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com
While hiking a road north of Lake One, I found a migrating through Tree
Sparrow. I also found at least 3 singing brown creepers, a boreal
chickadee, and the most exciting was a golden-crowned kinglet. I was
disappointed that I didn't find a gray jay but I did find northern shrike.

Attached are two pictures of the same butterfly and I can't figure out which
comma it is. Any ideas? It's smaller than the Compton's Tortoiseshell. My
guess is it's an Eastern Comma.

Norma Malinowski
29 N Klondike Dr
Ely, MN 55731
218 365-0825

IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG

Ron Huber

Mar 18, 2012, 1:45:52 PM3/18/12
to nor...@frontiernet.net, Ely naturalists, mn...@googlegroups.com
Norma,
Thanks for sharing the images. It is hard to believe that those are both
the same individual when looking at the scalloping on the outer edges of the
wings. The upperside image does indeed look like the Eastern Comma, but the
underside looks much more like the Green Comma, Polygonia faunus. It
appears to be single-brooded in MN, so you may have photographed a
hibernator.
Cheers,
Ron Huber