Red Admiral Migration

Jerry

May 2, 2012, 5:17:31 PM5/2/12
to MNLEP
Butterfly Watchers:
Apparently there is a major migration of red admirals occuring. I was
out for a butterfly count this afternoon and saw 93 red admirals is 3
hours! And this is a very conservative number; there probably were an
equal number that were too fast or a little too distant to allow
certain identification. Most were flying due north and few were
stopping, although late a few did stop for flowers. I completed the
count by sitting by my parked car for 15 minutes and counted 33 in
that time! I hope more of you are able to take-in this event!
Take care,
Jerry McCormick
Virginia, Minnesota

freda holmes

Jun 1, 2012, 5:18:41 PM6/1/12
to MNLEP
May 21st we had at least a dozen Red Admirals at our cottage in
Kenora, ON. Normally, even with greater flower gardens in the past,
we'd be lucky to see one in a summer. They were all nectaring on
lilacs, about the only flowering shrub in this area that day.