Zebra Swallowtail in MN

Germain Schroeter

Nov 1, 2012, 3:55:54 PM11/1/12
to MNLEP
Hello,
I am new to the group.
I live in Ely, MN and wanted to share this rare sighting a friend of mine had this summer in Ely!
A Zebra Swallowtail on June 5th, 2012 to be exact.
Below is the photo he took while it was nectaring on a Dames Rocket.
He also added the sighting to the butterfliesandmoths.org website.
Can't wait to see what next summer will bring!
Thanks,
Germain Schroeter

photo.JPG

Ron Huber

Nov 2, 2012, 2:35:25 PM11/2/12
to germai...@yahoo.com, MNLEP
Germain,
Thank you for sharing the great news. There are only five previous records
for MN. Could you provide the name of the photographer for our database ?
We also had three reports this year for the Pipevine Swallowtail - what a
year !
Cheers,
Ron Huber

> Sent from my iPhone

MNfarmboy

Nov 2, 2012, 4:38:44 PM11/2/12
to mn...@googlegroups.com

I was very surprised to see this Zebra.  Definetly a very lucky sighting.  I have been looking for 40 years and have not seen one here in MN.  This Zebra isn't in that bad of shape, must of had a nice Southern breeze to sail in on.

Here is a pic of the Pipevine I seen this summer.  Also a rare butterfly for MN.
aTOM_4640small.jpg