Butterfly Breakout

Jerry

Jul 1, 2013, 6:07:46 PM7/1/13
to mn...@googlegroups.com
After a very slow start this spring, populations of some butterflies are booming at places.  Today (7/1/13) I did a count at the Zim Wildlife Refuge.  There seemed to be a population explosion of silver-bordered fritillaries, in particular.  I discontinued counting them at 85.  There were hundreds, maybe thousands.  Had I continued counting fritillaries, and northern crescents, I would have been stuck in a small area for a very long time.  I decided to stop counting them and just look for other stuff.  I have had similar experiences in the Zim refuge.  The Zim refuge is well known among bird watchers but should be equally well known to butterfly watchers!  A particularly good spot is the northern parking area on the east side of County Road 7 (at 47.22596d north, 92.60096d west).  I can not recommend this locality enough!
Jerry McCormick