Feature query/request & some concern

Bithov Vinu Student

Feb 18, 2021, 9:19:35 AM2/18/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to Peter and the developers for creating such a wonderful, reliable application.

Recently, I bought some SuperMemo collections, which come with a plain text (through Q/A) version, for which Mnemosyne supports import.

Supermemo collections often have questions with a "tag" at the start, ie. a question may look like this:

Q: endocr: What is the general role of progesterone?
A: preparation for pregnancy

They do so because Supermemo has no tags feature. Mnemosyne, on the other hand, does, and I've meticulously tagged all of my imports so far, which makes the "tag" at the start redundant. Is there a way to find and replace the "endocr:" tag with nothing within Mnemosyne? I've come up with two make-shift solutions so far:

  1. Open the import file in a text editor and find-and-replace, and then re-import into Mnemosyne (I'd really rather not do this, because it would mean losing hours of work)
  2. Installing SQLite on my PC and manually doing a find-and-replace operation (this isn't ideal because I'm highly protective of my Mnemosyne database)
Is there a way to do it within Mnemosyne, or a plugin that I could install?

Also, is development for Mnemosyne slowing down? The last time I checked on GitHub, there hasn't been an update to the repository since Christmas, and I'm beginning to question whether that's because no bugs have been reported, or if it is because the dev team is busy and unable to work on Mnemosyne. Obviously, this might just be me being paranoid, but I'm particularly neurotic about losing my Mnemosyne data, because there doesn't seem to be another viable option (all other SRSs have what I see as irredeemable faults).

Thanks,

Bithov

Student Account
Calday Grange Grammar School is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales with company number 8332696.
The Registered Office is at Grammar School Lane, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 8GG

Peter Bienstman

Feb 18, 2021, 9:28:10 AM2/18/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is not supported inside Mnemosyne, but a hack that could work is export your data to a *.cards file, which does contain the learning data. If you rename *.cards to *.zip, you can extract the files, edit the xml file, recompress, change the extension, and then reimport. I would do the import in a new database, or at least have sufficient backups.

No need to worry about Mnemosyne no longer being supported: I plan to keep supporting the program indefinitely. Obviously, after 15 years all the main features I wanted to implement are already there, so it will be mostly bugfixes and polish, rather than frantic daily development for earthshattering new features.

In case you're curious, I'm now looking at upgrading the Android client to comply with Google's latest requirements, as well as adding the cramming functionality to Android.

Cheers,

Peter

Bithov Vinu Student

Feb 18, 2021, 12:30:00 PM2/18/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Your plans for Android Mnemosyne sound promising!

Thanks,
Bithov Vinu