Mnemosyne on two notebooks

Marion Stagars

Oct 1, 2010, 7:35:12 AM10/1/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I have one laptop, I use as desktop at home, and a netbook, I take with me to work. On both, Mnemosyne is installed and I either do my daily repetitions on the laptop or the netbook.
Before going to sleep I copy the .mnemosyne folder from the machine on that I did my repetitions to the other one. That is quite tricky, it happend that I copied the older one and so on...
Is there another possibility to work on two different places? I noticed that you often discussed about syncing, iphones, etc. but I don't know if that concerns my topic...?
I hope you got what my problem is and thanks for the support!
Cheers, Marion.

Jan Egil Hagen

Oct 1, 2010, 8:10:54 AM10/1/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
One solution:

Install Dropbox. It's free. Copy your .mnemosyne to "C:\My Dropbox\mnemosynefiles" (or something like that)

Create a text file containing these two lines and call it mnemosyne.bat and doubleclick on it to start mnemosyne:

cd  "C:\My Dropbox\mnemosynefiles"
C:\Programfiler\Mnemosyne\mnemosyne.exe -d "C:\My Dropbox\mnemosynefiles"

C:\Programfiler\Mnemosyne\mnemosyne.exe is the path to the mnemosyne executable on my (Norwegian language) Windows installation (your will probably differ)

Do this on both computers, and it should work. Remember to quit mnemosyne on one computer before moving to the next.

Added bonus: automatic backups in case your computers crash.
Problem: Maybe Dropbox are reading your files.

Jan Egil Hagen

Peter Bienstman

Oct 1, 2010, 9:34:29 AM10/1/10
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I use unison:

http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/help/advanced-features.php

And of course Mnemosyne 2.0 will have it's own sync algorithm :-)

Peter

Michael Campbell

Oct 1, 2010, 10:04:48 AM10/1/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Small correction here.

If you copy your entire .mnemosyne FOLDER to "c:\My Dropbox", you need to specify the whole thing in the command line; that is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mnemosyne\mnemosyne.exe" -d "C:\My Dropbox\.mnemosyne"

for example on a Windows 7 box.

Your directories might vary of course,

Marion Stagars

Oct 2, 2010, 3:00:58 PM10/2/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, but where or what is the command line and what means the (x86) and the -d ?
I don't know anything about programing.
Thanks, Marion.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 3, 2010, 3:46:27 AM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
The -d option tells Mnemosyne not to look for its cards in the usual place,
but in the directory coming after -d.

I've never seen the (x86) before, but then again, I don't have access to a
Win7 box. That also means I can't walk you through the exact steps needed to
set this up, but hopefully some kind soul with a Win7 machine will be able to
help you.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman
Ghent University, Dept. of Information Technology
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
tel: +32 9 264 34 46, fax: +32 9 264 35 93
WWW: http://photonics.intec.UGent.be
email: Peter.B...@UGent.be

Nick Burger

Oct 3, 2010, 3:50:25 AM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
You can also do this, perhaps it would be easier:

1) Setup Dropbox on both systems.
2) Copy the Mnemosyne directory from C:\Program Files to your Dropbox folder.
3) Copy the .mnemosyne directory from inside your home directory
(usually C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>) to inside the
Mnemosyne directory in your Dropbox folder.
4) Run Mnemosyne from the Mnemosyne folder in Dropbox from now on
(double click on the file: mnemosyne.exe in the Mnemosyne folder in
Dropbox).

Just be sure to close Mnemosyne on one machine before you open it on the other.

Nick

P.S. These are the instructions are on the web site for running
Mnemosyne from a USB key drive. You can use them to run Mnemosyne off
of any storage you can access on both machines.

--
Nick Burger
You may reply to this email, but please do not save the address.  I

Nick Burger

Oct 3, 2010, 4:03:04 AM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
If you do want to use the other method, this might help:

Right click on the icon you use to launch Mnemosyne.
Select Properties from the menu that comes up.
The text in the box labeled "target" is effectively the command line
that the icon executes.
Click OK to save your changes.

You only have to do that once for each icon that you use.

I use the method I mentioned before, personally.

Nick

Marion Stagars

Oct 3, 2010, 7:55:53 AM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for helping. I guess I understand how it has to be done.
Just a few questions: Do I have to be online to have access to my
dropbox and my mnemosyne?
Do I have to delete the "original folders" in C:\Program Files and
C:\Documents and Settings after the upload?

Michael Campbell

Oct 3, 2010, 10:27:57 AM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
"C:\Program Files (x86)"  is the standard spot for Windows 7 to put 32 bit programs.  It's been around since Vista; so at least a few years.

Primary Gmail

Oct 3, 2010, 2:16:31 PM10/3/10
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions, or if someing doesn't work for you.

You do not need to delete the directories, but you can uninstall mnemosyne if you want to. It doesn't need to be there once you copy it to dropbox. Just make sure to copy it off the computer first as a backup.

I'd actually recommend uninstalling it, just so you don't accidentially launch the installed copy and wonder where your data disappeared to.

Nick

Sent from my iPad

Sven AERTS

Aug 13, 2016, 5:16:14 AM8/13/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I think this also works with google drive.