Syncing to android app: "Keep remote version" overwrites ALL local progress?

Lydia Mankins

Jun 11, 2024, 4:27:59 AMJun 11
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'm unsure if this is the expected/correct behavior. The phrasing of the conflict message seems to imply that I'm only picking what happens to the cards that have conflicts...but actually it seems that I'm picking what happens to the entire database, on both local and remote.
In other words, if I have progress on both local and remote--in my case, usually days/weeks of practice on local, but new cards added on remote--then either "keep local" or "keep remote" will end up deleting progress somewhere.
So, two questions, assuming this behavior is what's expected:
1) Is there any way to merge local and remote to keep both the practice data from local and the new cards from remote? Clearly they don't actually conflict with anything on local since they don't exist on it...
2) When I've forgotten that not immediately canceling the sync will result in lost progress, is there any way to recover the overwritten local data? Does the Android app keep local backups? I can't find any, but then again I can't actually find the app's database at all on my Android device--Android/data/org.mnemosyne/files appears completely empty, so clearly the data is hidden somehow...

Sorry if this has already been asked, I tried searching the group but wasn't able to find anything that seemed relevant.
Thank you!

Peter Bienstman

Jun 11, 2024, 4:32:19 AMJun 11
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

This is indeed how the syncing is supposed to work.

Recent Android versions do not allow the user direct access to Mnemosyne's files, but this is where the export and import data menu option in Android comes into play. You should find the recent backups in the data export.

Cheers,

Peter

Lydia Mankins

Jun 12, 2024, 12:22:57 AMJun 12
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Gotcha. Would love if it was clearer that the sync isn't a merge, but that's not a big deal.
After sending this I figured out that as you say accessing Android backups requires exporting data. So for the benefit of anyone else who is trying to do this, or myself next time I accidentally overwrite local progress, I was able to recover both my progress from the Android app ("local") and the new cards I had added via the desktop install ("remote") by:
- Restoring remote to its own backup from before the sync
- Exporting the new cards I had added as a .cards file
- Exporting data from local
- Copying the most recent pre-sync backup from local to my hard drive
- Restoring remote to that backup from local
- Importing the .cards file with the new cards to remote
- Deleting local's db and doing a full sync from clean (it gave an error about a sync cycle when I tried to just sync, probably because of restoring remote to a backup from local)

When trying to figure this out I was looking at this page: https://mnemosyne-proj.org/help/backups.php which has instructions for finding the backups on PC, needing to export data to access backups from the Android app.
Is it possible to contribute to the documentation somehow? I'd like to add a note about that.

Thanks!

Peter Bienstman

Jun 12, 2024, 5:12:44 AMJun 12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback!

I've updated the conflict message to refer to the 'entire database'
rather than just 'database'.

As for documentation updates, just send them to me, and I'll integrate them.

Thanks!

Peter