repeat sound in Android mnemosyne

Hugo Coolens

Feb 13, 2023, 12:52:29 PM2/13/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
With Mnemosyne on my Linux-PC I can repeat the sound belonging to an answer by pressing CTRL-r. Is it possible to do something similar on an Android device?

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 13, 2023, 1:38:28 PM2/13/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
In the hamburger menu (three dots) there is an option to replay the sound.

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 15, 2023, 3:14:48 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Peter,
The problem is that the three dots are only visible after a fresh start of Mnemosyne, once Mnemosyne is started, the three dots are no longer available/visible once I  start using the app. Are there more recent versions than 2.6.0-arm64 which don't have this behaviour?

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 15, 2023, 3:21:31 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that's because the app goes fullscreen. Just swipe down from the top of the screen. It's the same way you also access the sync function.

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 15, 2023, 3:32:08 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I have indeed the same problem to access the sync function. Unfortunately swiping down from the top of the screen does not solve the problem on my Galaxy Tab S8 which runs Android 13.

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 15, 2023, 3:41:46 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Some Samsung devices do their own fullscreen management behind Android's back. In the past, what helped was to to turn off full screen support for Mnemosyne (see step 7 here https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxys9/using_full_screen_mode.html)

Cheers,

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 15, 2023, 4:58:52 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the option "Full screen apps" is not (no longer) available on my tablet with this version of Android...maybe you could add in option in the hamburger menu to disable full screen mode there in a future release?

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 15, 2023, 5:03:58 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
There seem to be more recent threads talking about full screen behaviour. I found this one, but perhaps there are others: https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s/apps-not-in-full-screen-after-ui-5-0-upgrade/td-p/19681289

Otherwise, I'll have a look at disabling this option.

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 15, 2023, 5:53:02 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I checked that link but unfortunately none of the methods described there work (or are available) for my Android version on the Galaxy TAB S8. I have been googling and watching youtube clips for a few hours already but couldn't find any solution unfortunately.

thanks for the kind help,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 15, 2023, 7:25:34 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I'll first create a new version targeting Android 13. If that doesn't work, I'll remove the fullscreen option. Upgrading the Android toolchain is always a bit painful, so it could take a while, though.

Peter

Lawson Robinson

Feb 15, 2023, 7:31:42 AM2/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Since I installed Android 13 a few weeks ago I have the same problem of the swipe down not working.  If I open Mnemosyne then lock the phone and then unlock it the three dots are visible and I can sync.  After the sync swipe down again does not work.   This work around is dependable so it is just a slight annoyance rather than a problem.  Getting the Android client updated would be nice.

Gnome

Feb 16, 2023, 11:26:00 AM2/16/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I also have android 13, pixel 7. The swipe down works here to get the hamburger menu.

Peter Bienstman

Feb 16, 2023, 2:05:32 PM2/16/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Here's a version which specifically targets Android 13 and upgrades some libraries:

I don't have an Android 13 device, but I verified in an emulator that the swipe down works. To help me debug what's going on, this version also displays some numbers. When I swipe down from the top, it shows '0' for me. When the toolbar autohides after a few seconds, it shows '6' for me.

Cheers,

Peter

Lawson Robinson

Feb 16, 2023, 4:55:50 PM2/16/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with all the files and folders in the zip file you linked.  On Android, all I have ever done is download "apps" and install them.  Am I missing something really basic?

Lawson

Peter Bienstman

Feb 17, 2023, 12:28:42 AM2/17/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Perhaps your browser changed the extension on download. Make sure the extension is .apk, and then you can install it by running the file, provided you have set Android to accept third party packages.

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 18, 2023, 9:42:13 AM2/18/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I tried the new app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S8, unfortuinately the hamburger menu still disappears.

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 18, 2023, 10:21:33 AM2/18/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Can you let me know the numbers that appear? I need that info for a fix...

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 18, 2023, 11:37:02 AM2/18/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I see 6  and 0 appearing after starting the app.

Hugo Coolens

Feb 18, 2023, 11:50:50 AM2/18/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I also sometimes see a 4 appearing

Peter Bienstman

Feb 18, 2023, 12:42:03 PM2/18/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
What are the numbers that appear when you swipe down from the top in order to try and reveal the menu?

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 19, 2023, 11:55:03 AM2/19/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any numbers when swiping down from the top.

kind regards,
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 19, 2023, 12:20:14 PM2/19/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Can you try this version?

It uses a completely different internal mechanism to try and reveal the menubar when swiping down from the top.

Cheers,

Peter

Hugo Coolens

Feb 20, 2023, 9:55:47 AM2/20/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,
With this version swiping does reveal the hamburger menu and I can access the sync option.

thanks for the fix, kind regards
Hugo

Peter Bienstman

Feb 20, 2023, 10:06:20 AM2/20/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Cool! I'll do some more cleaning up and do an official release in the course of next week.

BTW, if other people on other and/or older devices could check this version, that would be great too.

Peter