how do I iterate on a new card collection (fast)?/non-interactive import

Felipe Vieira

Oct 14, 2023, 1:29:30 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi, is there a way to automate the card imports?

While I'm creating a card group (deck?) I would like to iterate on it. e.g., start creating, import it, test a bit, go back, change a few things, import it, etc. It would be great if I could do this in a non interactive way (i.e. having to click on things).

The last post in this vain is the following: <https://groups.google.com/g/mnemosyne-proj-users/c/xot26WkHb-A/m/UVSzXy5RdgoJ>.

I imagine that in practice that would amount to:

1.  Delete the collection of cards `collection_abc` (I kindly ask for pointers on how to do this).

2.  Save the a new `collection_abc` somewhere (this part is easy).

3.  Insert the (new) collection of cards `collection_abc` (I kindly ask for pointers on how to do this).

I saw the `.cards` format and it is a bit complicated (XML) so I guess I could export a tab separated file and hardcode the metadata in the code that does this (e.g. a `python` script).

I can program.

So I'm roughly asking for directions here, or a few places to look at.

I'll definitely share the end results.

Best,

Peter Bienstman

Oct 14, 2023, 1:32:56 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I don't think you need to delete and recreate all the time. However, if you don't want to lose your learning data when reimporting, you need to use the cards format. Txt files do not contain card ids.

Cheers,

Peter