installing fails

Aly B

Mar 1, 2021, 9:19:51 AM3/1/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,
On my (very new) Windows laptop I am using Avira as a virus scanner. After download of Mnemosyne  - which I need for my study and was recommended by the University- I keep getting messages about suspicious files and cannot install the downloaded files.
Anyone here who knows what to do to fix this?
Thanks
Aly

Peter Bienstman

Mar 1, 2021, 9:22:17 AM3/1/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't know anything specifically about the Avira antivirus scanner, but for new versions of Mnemosyne, Windows itself sometimes gives a warning that it does not recognise the installer. In that case, the dialog box should have a button you can click (called 'other options', or 'more info', I don't recall exactly), which will give you the option to proceed with the installation.

Cheers,

Peter

Bithov Vinu Student

Mar 1, 2021, 10:32:48 AM3/1/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are you sure it's Avira? A scan of the latest Mnemosyne executable on VirusTotal didn't yield any negative results (Avira was part of the tests). You might be getting the warning for Windows Defender, but you should (generally) take Defender's word with a grain of salt when it comes to wel-known software. You should be able to fairly easily ignore Defender's warnings and continue with the installation.

Student Account
Calday Grange Grammar School is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales with company number 8332696.
The Registered Office is at Grammar School Lane, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 8GG