Mnemosyne 2.3 released

Peter Bienstman

Apr 23, 2014, 1:55:35 PM4/23/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
http://mnemosyne-proj.org/download-mnemosyne.php

Mnemosyne 2.3 : 2014-04-15

(Note that for Windows users we recommend uninstalling the previous version
before installing the new one.)

The sync protocol has changed in this version, so make sure you update both
the client and the server at the same time.

-A quick-and-dirty Android client is available, where you can do reviews in
your mobile browser using a webserver which runs on your Android device.
This client has full support for the syncing protocol.
-The functionality of mnemosyne-webserver has now been merged into the main
program and can be activated through 'Configure Mnemosyne - servers'.
-Time to create backups has decreased, in some situations even by a factor
of 2 or more, speeding up syncing and program exit.
-Sped up all editing operations in the card browser.
-The name of the currently active saved set of cards is now listed in title
bar (requested by Silverbear).
-Added new statistic: number of new cards learned per day.
-Also sync relevant settings (e.g. fonts, colours, ...) during the initial
sync.
-Improve the timeout handling of the sync protocol.
-New Ukranian, Swedish, Serbian, Catalan translation.
-Fix erroneous 'Wrong username or password' error.
-Rework error handling when trying to load a database which no longer exists
in its previous location.
-Keep the sort order in the card browser when editing cards (reported by
Gnome and Tristan).
-Added command line options --sync-server and --web-server which starts the
sync and the web server in headless mode (i.e. without a GUI) (useful to
run
e.g. on a NAS server).
-Fix more errors coming from loading config files (thanks to Alex Fevery for
reporting this).
-Added an extra popup to guide new people better through the learning
process
(feedback from Bjorn Maes).
-Fix crash when exporting to cards format when Latex was not installed
(reported by Gwern).
-Make card conversion more robust for badly formatted card (reported by
Gnome).
-When editing a card through the browser, make sure the correct set of tags
is
displayed if sister cards have different tags (requested by Scott
Youngman).
-Allow converting a Cloze card to a clone of a Cloze card through the
browser
(requested by Scott Youngman).
-Instruct people on the correct way to deal with '*.cards' files if they try
to open it as a separate database (Kensor0).
-Make it clearer what 'Find duplicates' does.
-Various cosmetic fixes when importing *.cards files (reported by Ansgar
Bohmann).
-Fix tag tree sometimes not updating correctly if the user adds a new tag.
-People writing e.g. Javascript card and needing access to the full path of
the media directory can now use db_media:///foo.png (requested by Gnome).
-Flash files are now synced as well (reported by heldtfisken).
-When editing a card where different sister cards have different tags, ask
if
the tags should be applied to the current card or to all sister cards.
-Fix Windows crash when using the card browser with cards imported from
Supermemo (reported by Piotr).
-Fix crash when renaming cloned card types through the card browser.
-Make Mnemosyne 1.x import more robust (reported by Jack Thro).
-Don't allow saving the database to a network drive under Windows to prevent
corruption (reported by Brendan Sinclair).
-Fix sync error that could occur when adding and immediately deleting
multiple
sister cards from the card browser.
-Fix latex / cloze interaction corner case (reported by Daniele Parisi).
-Fix corner case of overzealous introduction of media dir in expansion
(reported by Toni Alsford).
-Make sure latex images are always in sync when updating text.
-If adding an extra tag when importing a 'cards' file, don't keep the tag
'Untagged' (patch by crcmail0). If you were affected by this issue before,
'compact database' will solve this.

gabrielb...@hotmail.com

Apr 27, 2014, 10:56:15 AM4/27/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
I've got a problem with my installation on my mac.
Everything is working fine until I try to access the database. I then got a message : Database error, Driver not loaded Driver not loaded. Mnemosyne then automaticly shuts down...

yeela...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2014, 10:37:06 PM4/27/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
I tried downloading and running 2.3, but it wasn't working, had to reload 2.2.1 and now am having problems, I'm using windows 7
Mnemosyne.jpg

Peter Bienstman

Apr 28, 2014, 12:32:06 AM4/28/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to help you, but you need to be a bit more specific than that about the problems.

Be sure to uninstall the previous version first.

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Apr 28, 2014, 2:56:33 AM4/28/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kenny
Hi,

This means there are some packaging issues in the Mac installer. I've put Patrick in cc, as he's the one that creates the installers.

Cheers,

Peter
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/fbe3ac69-34c1-
> 4489-935c-3465e742dd36%40googlegroups.com.

Patrick Kenny

Apr 28, 2014, 3:00:38 AM4/28/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com, gabrielb...@hotmail.com
Which version of OS X are you running?  (Apple Icon-> About This Mac)

Also if you are running 10.6.x, which processor do you have?

Gabriel Benamouzig

Apr 28, 2014, 4:46:27 AM4/28/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I’m using OSX 10.9.2.
My processor is 1.3GHz Intel Core i5.

De : Patrick Kenny <ptmk...@gmail.com>
Répondre à : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>
Date : lundi 28 avril 2014 09:00
À : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>
Cc : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>, <mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com>, Gabriel <gabrielb...@hotmail.com>
Objet : [mnemosyne-proj-users] Re: Mnemosyne 2.3 released

Alex .

May 2, 2014, 9:02:01 PM5/2/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
Peter, these Traceback errors seem to be quite tenacious.
Why are you  keeping the config in such a hard to find place and why is it not deleted on uninstall?  It is making it so that people who get the error are unable to fix it when they re install unless they know about the location of the hidden config.

Why not keep config information in the deck file instead of the program?    stuff like card colors and fonts is something the person who creates the deck should be able to set, and the user can edit it if they want and overwrite the deck config with their changes.  Wouldn't this be a much better way to handle it?

At the very least please make sure when the User uninstalls the program they have the option in the uninstaller to remove EVERYTHING.  Its not polite to have the user think they have uninstalled when actually there are still configs in the roaming folder months after they uninstalled contributing to clogged up OS syndrome.  wouldnt you agree?

Keep up the good work

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2014, 1:40:16 AM5/3/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your feedback! Some info on why I chose the approach I did:

* most config info really belongs to the program as a whole and not the database specifically. It would not make any sense surprise users with changing settings if he loads a different database.
* I do not remove the config file upon uninstall for the same obvious reason I do not remove the database files or Word does not remove your documents when you uninstall.

Really, in theory the current approach should be alright provided there are no bugs. However, since I've never seen this on any of my machines I'm dependent on other people answering the requests for feedback I asked. E.g.:

-what is the exact content of the error message? (it could be that your error is not related to the config file at all!)
-do you run from a USB key? (perhaps you remove it before doing 'safely remove hardware')
-what is the output of the debug version
-etc, etc...

Since that info did not arrive, I had no choice but to release 2.3...

Cheers,

Peter

Alex .

May 3, 2014, 6:02:24 AM5/3/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
ok,   Well I have installed 2.3 today. I will let you know as soon as I encounter the error again i haven't had a chance to see what specifically changed between 2.3RC and 2.3. But i have never used it on a USB, only installed in program files(x86).

I think you at least should add just the option (a checkbox) in the uninstaller because it would:
1. Give the users the choice if they want useless files left on their computer until the next time they reinstall their OS
2.  Would allow users who don't know where the hidden files are the ability to fix the problem and not be completely locked out of mnemosyne.

Anyways i'll keep you posted on how 2.3 goes.

Gnome

May 3, 2014, 11:28:33 AM5/3/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, perhaps a workaround to the traceback error could be just to have mnemosyne replace the config file with a backup when the error occurs?

Peter Bienstman

May 4, 2014, 1:06:21 AM5/4/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer to fix the root cause of the problem rather than hiding it...

Cheers,

Peter

gabrielb...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2014, 4:57:01 PM5/5/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
Any idea for the database problem of mac? It's really hard to work without being able to browse cards.
I wanted to go back to an earlier version but couldn't as it was not compatible. Is there any way for me to do it without loosing the new cards I made since installing version 2.3 ?

Peter Bienstman

May 6, 2014, 1:52:10 AM5/6/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kenny
Hi,

I assume Patrick is rather busy if he hasn't replied. Feel free to try the previous 2.x release and see if that works. 1.x is indeed not backwards compatible.

Cheers,

Peter

gabrielb...@hotmail.com

May 6, 2014, 5:19:11 PM5/6/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
I tried to install earlier version but I guet this message : unable to load file: database version mismatch.
I can then click on ok and it tells me its creating a temporary database.
I then click on ok and get this message https://www.dropbox.com/s/juluod99baqit5v/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202014-05-06%2023.14.51.png
And then https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttagdgfjal8jzox/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202014-05-06%2023.15.43.png

Patrick Kenny

May 6, 2014, 11:28:31 PM5/6/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, gabrielb...@hotmail.com
I'm sorry for the delay.  I finally had a chance to look at this.

This issue affects the "Browse card" window on all Macs for 2.3.  The problem is that py2app has changed the way it includes the QtSql and QtCore frameworks; they are now bundled in their own directories instead of being included as .dylib.  I will have to research a fix for this as I don't know what to do off the top of my head; I will do my best to restore the browse card window but I can't promise a timetable for doing so.

Best,
Patrick

On Monday, April 28, 2014 5:46:27 PM UTC+9, Gabriel Benamouzig wrote:
I’m using OSX 10.9.2.
My processor is 1.3GHz Intel Core i5.

dave....@gmail.com

May 6, 2014, 11:38:32 PM5/6/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, gabrielb...@hotmail.com
Hey Patrick,

Thanks for looking into this! I'm having similar issues (you noted that all Mac users are affected). I can create but cannot "browse cards"...

Best,
- Dave

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:28:31 PM UTC-4, Patrick Kenny wrote:
> I'm sorry for the delay.  I finally had a chance to look at this.
>

> This issue affects the "Browse card" window on all Macs for 2.3.  The problem is that py2app has changed the way it includes the QtSql and QtCore frameworks; they are now bundled in their own directories instead of being included as .dylib.  I will have to research a fix for this as I don't know what to do off the top of my head; I will do my best to restore the browse card window but I can't promise a timetable for doing so.
>

> Best,
> Patrick
>
> On Monday, April 28, 2014 5:46:27 PM UTC+9, Gabriel Benamouzig wrote:
>
> I’m using OSX 10.9.2.
> My processor is 1.3GHz Intel Core i5.
>

> De : Patrick Kenny <ptmk...@gmail.com>
> Répondre à : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>
> Date : lundi 28 avril 2014 09:00
> À : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>
> Cc : <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>, <mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com>, Gabriel <gabrielb...@hotmail.com>
> Objet : [mnemosyne-proj-users] Re: Mnemosyne 2.3 released
>

> Which version of OS X are you running?  (Apple Icon-> About This Mac)
>

> Also if you are running 10.6.x, which processor do you have?
>
> On Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:56:15 PM UTC+9, gabrielb...@hotmail.com wrote:I've got a problem with my installation on my mac.
> Everything is working fine until I try to access the database. I then got a message : Database error, Driver not loaded Driver not loaded. Mnemosyne then automaticly shuts down...

Alex U

May 8, 2014, 8:26:39 PM5/8/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
I just encountered the traceback error again. version 2.3

Peter Bienstman

May 9, 2014, 2:22:13 AM5/9/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I will change the database backend for the config files from Python's apparently buggy Pickle format to the sqlite format that is also used for the cards.

Hopefully this will fix things for good...

Peter

Axel Burfeind

May 14, 2014, 8:42:33 AM5/14/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I've done some remote review. Everything works fine, there's only a
little bug:

What I've done:

1. Reviewed some cards (remote review)
2. Put my smartphone on the table, while the client is still running.
After a while the screen turned black -> standby mode.
3. Took my smartphone and started reviewing again. What did I get? Ok,
it's the same question as when I stopped reviewing. I clicked on "show
answer" and get the answer of the next question. --> I expected to get
the answer on the last question displayed.

I hope this helps! Have a nice day!

Greetings,

Abakus

Peter Bienstman

May 15, 2014, 9:50:12 AM5/15/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is a consequence of the fact that the review is browser-based. Bear in mind that this is a temporary quick-and-and dirty client until the real one is ready.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

May 28, 2014, 3:23:29 PM5/28/14
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
Please try the new prerelease, and let me know if the problem went away:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mnemosyne-proj-users/cvIenez3uyY

Thanks!

Peter