No option to sync on Android App

brandi...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2015, 12:42:56 AM6/4/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to sync the Server on my desktop computer with my Android phone and I have made a few cards to test on the server side but am not seeing those cards on the phone app.

I am connected to the same network, mnemosyne is allowed through my windows firewall, I configured the server that shows my IP and I gave it a username and password and checked box for changed media files on server.

There are no buttons within the Android app at all. There is just the top and bottom cards sections that are blank and a button to show answer.
- I tap to show answer and get the 0-5 scale at the bottom that doesn't let me select anything.

There is no button that looks like 3 dots. The only way I can try to sync is to uninstall and reinstall the app completely.

I have also tried to delete the Mnemosyne folder on my phone as well.

Peter Bienstman

Jun 4, 2015, 3:15:37 AM6/4/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Which phone is this? I seem to remember from a previous post that on certain Samsung models you needed to do something special to get an app's menu to appear.

Or perhaps your phone has a dedicated hardware menu button (something like 3 horizontal stripes)?

Cheers,

Peter
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

Joel Pettersson

Jun 19, 2015, 3:18:20 AM6/19/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, brandi...@gmail.com
I'm on Android Lollipop on a device without any hardware buttons and I have to long press the app switcher menu button (the square icon in the bottom right corner). Perhaps this is also the case for you?

Joel

webbd...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2015, 12:58:01 PM8/15/15
to mnemosyne-proj-users, brandi...@gmail.com
2015年6月4日木曜日 5時42分56秒 UTC+1 brandi...@gmail.com:
I have the same problem. I can synch from pc to phone but not the other way around.

Peter Bienstman

Aug 16, 2015, 12:39:01 AM8/16/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, webbd...@gmail.com, brandi...@gmail.com
Hi,

What phone do you have? On some phones it is hardware button, on others it's a button drawn on the screen.

Cheers,

Peter

Phalgun Vaddepalli

Aug 21, 2015, 12:36:20 AM8/21/15
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter,

Even I seem to be experiencing similar issue on my Android client.
Issue: No menu/buttons on the app to invoke sync feature.

Mobile details:-
Model Number: MI 3W
Android Version: 4.4.4.KTU84P

App version: The latest that is available today as 21 Aug 2015 on Play store.

Peter Bienstman

Aug 21, 2015, 3:22:34 AM8/21/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Some googling revealed that this phone should have a hardware menu button below the screen.  It probably looks like 3 horizontal lines.

See e.g. this page which shows you how to also add a menu button on the screen itself:

http://webtrickz.com/how-to-enable-on-screen-buttons-on-mi-3-redmi-1s/

Cheers,

Peter

> To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-proj-
> us...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

usch

Oct 21, 2015, 9:46:44 AM10/21/15
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I never had any problems with syncing until I got my new Galaxy Note 4.
With my old Note (Android 4.3) I could just use the softkey at the bottom left to get the menu up.
But on the new Note (Android 5.1.1) there seemed to be no option to access the menu from this location, as it only opened a list of recently opened apps.

It took me a few days to figure out (actually by accident!), that a long press of the bottom left soft key finally solved the issue.

I thought I post this to help others who might encounter the same problem.

Thanks, for a great piece of software.

> To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-proj-
> us...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 21, 2015, 9:52:24 AM10/21/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for reporting this!

BTW, it’s really strange that the standard Android way of presenting a menu is so poorly supported, and not even Google’s own apps use it.

For a next version, I will use a non-standard menu, which should be always visible.

Cheers,

Petetr

> To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-proj-
> us...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

Joel Pettersson

Oct 21, 2015, 1:12:48 PM10/21/15
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I came across the long press solution a while ago, but seem to have responded only to the original author (and got no response), so sorry for that.

The standard way of providing an options menu in an Android activity is through the `boolean onCreateOptionsMenu(Menu menu)` method. It is described in detail over here: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/menus.html#options-menu. This works on any device, with or without menu hardware button.

Regards,
Joel

> To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-proj-
> us...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 22, 2015, 5:33:45 AM10/22/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

This is exactly what Mnemosyne does J Although in theory it should work on any device, in practice that turns out not to be so well supported across the entire spectrum of devices.

See e.g. http://forum.meizu.com/viewthread.php?tid=14087

The fact that even apps by Google itself use a different approach for menus speaks volumes…

Cheers,

Peter

> To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-proj-
> us...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/b9e429ab-
> 9df0-495e-b8d9-33915c9a3f66%40googlegroups.com.

Joel Pettersson

Oct 24, 2015, 12:27:04 AM10/24/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I have not run into this issue using `onCreateOptionsMenu(Menu)` before. Perhaps it's related to using the framework Activity class (android.app.Activity) directly instead of one from the support libraries?

Oh, I see. Out of curiosity, what approach is it that they use? I quickly went through some of the apps at https://android.googlesource.com/ but the ones I looked at seemed to be using `onCreateOptionsMenu(Menu)` to provide their menus.

Regards,
Joel

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 24, 2015, 2:08:15 AM10/24/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’m not sure what code / library they use, but if you look at e.g. the gmail app, they have a slide-in menu which appears if you press the 3 bar icon always visible in the top left of the screen.

Cheers,

Peter

Joel Pettersson

Oct 24, 2015, 7:58:55 AM10/24/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

I believe that's what's referred to as a Navigation Drawer for which there are helpful View components available in the Design Support Library (see for example http://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/design/widget/NavigationView.html).

However, my understanding is that it serves a different purpose than what an Activity options menu does, and so is not meant to replace the latter. In the Calendar app, for example, Google use them both together as seen in the screenshot.

It should be possible to implement the options menu in a way that's compatible with all targeted API levels. Though when looking at the way it's done in Mnemosyne I can't immediately point out what causes the issue. Perhaps someone else can? Otherwise I'd probably start out with an example project generated by the latest version of Android Studio and look for differences.

Regards,
Joel

151024_203554_COLLAGE-1.png

Peter Bienstman

Oct 24, 2015, 10:47:28 AM10/24/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

My point is that many devices don’t support this option in a way that is immediately obvious to the user (see e.g. the Meizu thread I linked to earlier). The problem is also not unique to Mnemosyne, as these threads indicate.

If 80% of the support requests come from people who don’t find the menu, then it’s a clear sign the UI design needs to change J

Cheers,

Peter

Joel Pettersson

Nov 3, 2015, 10:18:27 AM11/3/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I see your point. Also I realize that for some reason I have completely neglected the fact that the app bar (previously called "action bar") where the option menu items usually go is not absent in Mnemosyne for Android.

"On Android 3.0 and higher, items from the options menu are presented by the app bar as a combination of on-screen action items and overflow options. Beginning with Android 3.0, the Menu button is deprecated (some devices don't have one), so you should migrate toward using the action bar to provide access to actions and other options." - https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/menus.html

Mnemosyne has minSdk set to 8 corresponding to Android 2.2.x, which would make the text above inapplicable if it weren't for the v7 appcompat library (https://developer.android.com/tools/support-library/features.html#v7-appcompat). So following the official guidelines, a solution would be to start using the app bar UX pattern, which would give users access to the options menu in the way they are presumably used to from other apps by Google as well as third parties.

The obvious objection would then be that it steals screen space from the question and answer box. If this is a true concern I'm convinced there are ways to win that space back. For example, the "Sch: x Not mem.: y Act.: z" text could be placed inside of the app bar as a subtitle, and "Show answer" might be implemented as a Floating Action Button, just to mention a few things of the top of my head.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Regards,
Joel

Peter Bienstman

Nov 3, 2015, 1:08:37 PM11/3/15
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,

I think we think alike ;-)

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

Nov 29, 2015, 7:51:39 AM11/29/15
to mnemosyne-proj-users
+1 to the app bar - it should automatically detect a lack of hardware menu button and fill it in. It's done that with the two apps I've made.

For anyone else reading, I was able to get the menu button to appear on my Samsung Note 5 by long pressing the back button, of all things. So give all the long press options a try!

Michael

Feb 21, 2023, 8:06:19 AM2/21/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi everyone,

I had similar problems on a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G. For me, the following workaround could make the menu button reappear:
  • Open the Mnemosyne app
  • From the opened Mnemosyne app, lock your phone
  • Unlock your phone by entering your pin (the method will not work when unlocking your phone with the fingerprint)
  • Mnemosyne should appear and the menu bar should be visible now
The menu bar is only visible for an instant, but at least one can then access the many and e.g. sync.

Peter Bienstman

Feb 21, 2023, 9:15:51 AM2/21/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

Have you tried the new version I posted on the 'replay sound' thread? It should fix that problem and will be released officially soon.

Peter

Lawson Robinson

Mar 3, 2023, 8:03:47 AM3/3/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I have something (I think) strange going on.  I reported a couple of months ago the same problem mentioned below with the three dot icon leading to Sync not being visible.  As of about 10 days ago, with no new version of Mnemosyne installed, and no changes to my configuration, now it works perfectly and consistently.  Could there be some kind of, at least implicit, counting going on such that after so many repetitions something changes?

Lawson

Peter Bienstman

Mar 3, 2023, 8:07:19 AM3/3/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure your phone has not updated Mnemosyne automatically to the latest version? That's probably the explanation here...

Peter

Lawson Robinson

Mar 3, 2023, 9:05:44 AM3/3/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
It is version 2.7.0.  I wasn't aware of automatic updates.

Peter Bienstman

Mar 3, 2023, 9:18:18 AM3/3/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
2.7.0 is indeed the new version.