Flashcards and language learning

Peter Bienstman

Jul 1, 2023, 6:11:16 AM7/1/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

Not sure if this is interesting to anybody, but I thought I'd share how my methods for language learning have evolved over the years.

As you can image, I spent quite a lot of time doing flashcards, amassing more than 30k of them over more than a decade. However, when I started hitting 300 daily reps, I realised this was not sustainable anymore. So, that's why two years ago, in Mnemosyne 2.8, I added a feature to stop showing cards once they had a certain number of successive successful reviews.

That helped getting my workload under control, but after a while I started to realise that if you're doing a lot of flashcards, you're getting really good at... doing flashcards... I didn't really feel like the flashcards improved my actual language abilities a lot. This was even when using sentence cards, because I would often remember what a sentence meant simply by reading the first few words. So, reading the rest of the sentence had no more benefit.

Rather then using fixed sentences, I then started experimenting with having different sentences for a word each time. I initially thought of doing this inside Mnemosyne, but the interface was not a good fit for this, and grading became kind of meaningless anyway with this approach. So now I have a bunch of scripts which pull words from a list, using a finite and fixed sequence of intervals, and then collect sentences from the web (mostly from Reverso Context, but I even experimented with using ChatGPT for this). I originally generated an epub ebook from them, but now they are collected in a webpage, so that I still have the benefit of using browser-based dictionaries, sound files, shuffling word lists, etc.

Anyway, over the last year or so, I felt that spending 15 minutes doing this generated far greater dividends than doing flashcards for 15 minutes. In hindsight, this should have been obvious: if you want to get good at something, you should practice exactly that, and not something that's tangentially related to this...

Cheers,

Peter

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Jul 1, 2023, 11:38:06 AM7/1/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I've also moved away from trying to memorise vocab etc with flashcards, and noticed the same issue you did with sentence cards (not really understanding the sentence itself, but just remembering it from previous study... in the same way I'll often remember the exact starting tone of the next song in a playlist or CD, but if you asked me to sing it on the street I might not be able to... something about the context of the task). I watched some talks by Stephen Krashen and others who suggested that drilling vocabulary and (especially) grammar rules is primarily a declarative memory task, whereas understanding spoken and written language is primarily a procedural memory task (aka implicit memory), and by focusing too much on the declarative retrieval task you could somehow obstruct or impair procedural learning. I'm not so sure that practicing the declarative memory task of retrieving "atomic" vocabulary facts is actually *detrimental* to the procedural skill of automatically understanding others' speech and constructing your own, but after a few years of studying thousands of Chinese character and sentence flashcards, I realised that even a very basic conversation was extremely difficult and awkward, and that I'd been wasting a lot of my time as you said -- getting good at answering flashcards rather than understanding language.

At that point I started to move toward just watching TV in the target language and having conversations. I still find flashcards handy for getting started with "basic fact" information, but mostly for other topics rather than language learning.
Thanks for sharing your insights on this.

Oisín

MAX BAX

Nov 30, 2023, 8:12:22 AM11/30/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hoi Peter,

This is probably exactly what I am looking for.
I just started to use Mnemosyne for learning French and noticed that just single words felt empty. (copy and paste lists of words)
Lots of question marks would pop up in my head, where exactly can i use this word???

So I thought about adding a few more words just to make it make more sense. (lot of work)
Plus I looked for lists of short phrases.
Today I read more of the documentation and saw the 'sentence' option.
That's also good. (even more than a lot of work?)

But I would love to see and read more of what you described.
Is it possible that we can see it or even use it?

Greetings.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 30, 2023, 8:16:51 AM11/30/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The scripts are very tailored to my own personal use case, so it would
be a lot of work to make them accessible to anyone, without requiring
programming experience by the user, I'm afraid...

BTW, small personal update: I recently started learning a new
language, and at this level, I do feel again some advantage of going
back to flashcards. The 'ideal method', as far as it even exists, also
very heavily depends on your language level.

Cheers,

Peter

MAX BAX

Dec 1, 2023, 9:42:39 AM12/1/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'm also looking into literal translations.
Phrases (and words) translated to the English meaning without literal word for word translation is confusing.

I prefer to "get into the French way of thinking".

Au revoir=Goodbye?

Nope, it's something like "At(till?) see again"...

Most lessons don't seem to add the literal translations.

Anyone any tips?

Ciao, Max