Sync suddenly does not work any more

Magic Friday

Jul 10, 2023, 3:16:26 PM7/10/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I've been using Mnemosyne for several years now and after some initial syncing issues, I haven't had any problems for a long time.

A few days ago however I installed a new web connection (500 instead of 100) and from that very time point I cannot sync any more.

I checked the IP address as well as the port.

I really have no idea what to do since the faster connection can't be the problem or maybe it is??

If you have an idea, please let me know. It would be sad if I couldn't use it any more. I put so much time and effort in all this.

Regards,
Sandro

Peter Bienstman

Jul 11, 2023, 12:45:34 AM7/11/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Perhaps you now have a new router at home which doesn't pass the port Mnemosyne uses? For starters, I'd try to see if everything works when both client and server are connected to the same WiFi network. Also make sure there's no firewall on your computer that blocks Mnemosyne.

Good luck!

Peter

Magic Friday

Jul 31, 2023, 10:45:59 AM7/31/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi!

Yes indeed I have a new router, but unfortunately I don't even know how to get access to the router configurations. I'm not into computer stuff at all. Is there a way you can tell me exactly what I could try?

Thank you!

Peter Bienstman

Jul 31, 2023, 12:46:21 PM7/31/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I'm really sorry, that depends very much on the type of router, so I
can't give concrete instructions. Typically you configure these
routers through a web interface. Normally, if both client and server
are connected to the same WiFi network, it will work fine. It's when
e.g. your phone is outside your network, that you need to set up the
router to pass the port that Mnemosyne uses through the router to the
IP address of your server.

Perhaps you have somebody tech-savy in your neighborhood that could
help you out?

Peter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/13cfb7be-3d98-46e1-b4ad-27b1167dab2dn%40googlegroups.com.

Magic Friday

Aug 5, 2023, 5:06:55 AM8/5/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi!
I managed to access my router now and I think I have to create an IPV4 rule. Can you confirm this?
There it asks me for local IP, local start point, local end point, external start point, external end point and protocol (TCP or UDP).
Can you help me out here? I could call my provider though I'm not sure if they can help...

Peter Bienstman

Aug 5, 2023, 5:28:51 AM8/5/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Local IP should be the IP address of your server on your home network,
typically something like 192.168.1.xxx. If you're on Windows, open a
command prompt and type ipconfig and look for the correct IPv4
address.

I'm guessing start and end point refer to the ranges of ports. By
default, Mnemosyne uses port 8512 (you can see that in Mnemosyne's
configuration window), so a range like 8512-8513 both internal and
external should be OK then.

For protocol, I'd start with UDP, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps,

Peterl